Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Actually, I expect CC to get stale. With CC, Adobe has it's customers in a corner. You have to pay a subscription just to use the software. Don't pay, and you can't use the software at all. Where's the incentive to spend time on knock out features?

I think they'll throw some features out to start in order to try and get people on board, but after a few years, I expect it to get stale. What knock out features can really be added to photoshop? Sure they can add a few more filters or a few more convenience tools, but can't think of anything that would make me want to upgrade.

CC is renting software. And renting does not work for me for something I use regularly. Renting works for something that I have the occasional need for.

Maybe CC works for you. If it does, great. But it doesn't work for everyone. I'd prefer to buy something outright than to pay a monthly fee for the rest of my life.
Pay all at once or pay monthly, it is still paying. It isn't whether, it's when. If it gets stale, the competition will overtake it. Photography and videography are an integral part of modern life. Developers and innovators will appear and will keep Adobe on their toes.

Actually we are all very temporary and we never really own anything. Life is really one big rental. We pay money, and get value back, or else we look elsewhere. But it is all renting really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually we are all very temporary and we never really own anything. Life is really one big rental. We pay money, and get value back, or else we look elsewhere. But it is all renting really.
No it is not, a home can get passed down to your kids, so is a car, so is software. So are my HDDs with my photos.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I think they'll throw some features out to start in order to try and get people on board, but after a few years, I expect it to get stale. What knock out features can really be added to photoshop? Sure they can add a few more filters or a few more convenience tools, but can't think of anything that would make me want to upgrade. I think Adobe knows this too. There's not a whole lot more to add [...]
Oh gosh, LOL. This reminds me of this old quote:

"Everything that can be invented – has already been invented"
-- Charles Duell, commissioner of the United States Patent Office, 1899

You ain't seen nothing yet. The big knock-out feature for CS5 was content-aware fill. I use it constantly in my work and and it's pure magic. It can save hours of cloning and blending that you used to have to do to remove extraneous objects. As time goes on, Photoshop (and competitors) will keep adding content-aware features to allow you to manipulate images at higher and higher levels than just pixels. Portrait Professional is an example of a program that knows what a face is. So you can tell it to enlarge the eyes, or narrow the face and it knows how to do that. It's so trivial to use that the casual observer doesn't understand the complex science involved behind the scenes to make this happen. It won't be long before you can do a perfect selection of a person in a scene with a single click to say paste them in a different background. Pretty soon Photoshop will recognize skies, trees, mountains, etc, and allow you to adjust those objects without needing to builds masks. Image motion deblurring is coming out soon, and that's obviously going to be a huge feature. Every one of those new features probably has PhD thesis or two behind it. Truly, the world of image processing today is in its infancy and we will all be amazed at what in store next.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

You ain't seen nothing yet. The big knock-out feature for CS5 was content-aware fill. I use it constantly in my work and and it's pure magic. It can save hours of cloning and blending that you used to have to do to remove extraneous objects. As time goes on, Photoshop (and competitors) will keep adding content-aware features to allow you to manipulate images at higher and higher levels than just pixels. Portrait Professional is an example of a program that knows what a face is. So you can tell it to enlarge the eyes, or narrow the face and it knows how to do that. It's so trivial to use that the casual observer doesn't understand the complex science involved behind the scenes to make this happen. It won't be long before you can do a perfect selection of a person in a scene with a single click to say paste them in a different background. Pretty soon Photoshop will recognize skies, trees, mountains, etc, and allow you to adjust those objects without needing to builds masks. Image motion deblurring is coming out soon, and that's obviously going to be a huge feature. Every one of those new features probably has PhD thesis or two behind it. Truly, the world of image processing today is in its infancy and we will all be amazed at what in store next.

Completely agree. The program is magical now. I am completely sure that it will evolve into something even greater. And with tons of added money they will now have to pay programmers from slowing down the pirates, even more awesome features will be on the horizon.

When I pay money for software, I am not just paying for the present, I am paying for the future. Innovation comes from participation in the Capitalist machine. I am happy to increase Adobe's ability to get better. And as long as I see the improvement continuing, which I am sure I will, I will continue with my contribution to the future.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
No it is not, a home can get passed down to your kids, so is a car, so is software. So are my HDDs with my photos.
And your kids are temporary, and your car is temporary. And your pictures are temporary. It's all a rental, until we become immortal.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

to funny , just last night i was showing marilyn how to use the content aware move tool .

with the 36mp d800 files it takes quite a while to do and said to her you can not believe the complexity of what it is doing and yet it is so simple to use.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
You know those four nifty sliders: highlights shadows, white, and blacks? I was reading an article on luminous-landscape, and an Adobe engineer was quoted as saying that when they first developed those sliders, moving each one took 1 minute per megabyte of image. So your d800 would take 38 minutes of processing if you touched one of the sliders. They kept working and reworking the algorithms and code until they got that down to real-time. There's actually a huge amount of complexity to the inner workings of those sliders. Each one affects its range of tonalities without overly affecting the other tonalities. You can't even duplicate it manually with a curve. There's some serious magic going on there.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Corel is actually moving pretty quick and here is their new promo for anyone wanting to switch - offering upgrade pricing for CS users: Corel offers Creative Cloud alternative

They're not quite "there" yet, but if they're smart and get some more folks on board in their development team, they really could beef up the program to be an equal to Photoshop. In some ways it is already, but not in every aspect (yet, anyway).

Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Corel is fantastic already! They bought Paint Shop Pro a few years back and that program alone beats photoshop by a long shot! It has PSD files, layers, super nice special effects and is very easy to use. I am actually going to buy a PC laptop just so I can upgrade my Paint Shop Pro! I hate windows machines but I love that program THAT much!

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Corel is fantastic already! They bought Paint Shop Pro a few years back and that program alone beats photoshop by a long shot! It has PSD files, layers, super nice special effects and is very easy to use. I am actually going to buy a PC laptop just so I can upgrade my Paint Shop Pro! I hate windows machines but I love that program THAT much!
I say, why not own both? Since they are allowing Adobe CS4+ users in at the upgrade price, I think I will buy the whole suite. Then I have flexibility and can take advantage of the Corel programs where they are superior to Adobe. Or if Adobe prices are hiked too speeply in the coming years, there is an alternative and I am already in the family so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography