Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,818,394 times

Advertisements

So I want to buy a new DSLR. I don't want to spend more than $1,000.00 for the camera body and a lens or two, so obviously, I'm going for a more affordable DSLR, rather than a really, really nice one. I'm a casual photographer who would like good photos for when my family goes on vacation, and for taking pictures (and/or video) of my kid.

Nikon and Canon seem to be the most popular, and I can get the Nikon 3100 or 5100 for a pretty good price. The Canon T3 and T4 are around the same costs as the Nikons, I believe. So which one is better? Is going for the 5100 over the 3100 worth the extra money (same question for the Canon)? Who has more affordable lenses?

And to throw a wrench into it - I have an SLR from Pentax, which I have a couple basic lenses for (like an 18-55 that came with the body, for instance). I believe Pentax has made all their SLR type cameras so that they could accept all Pentax lenses. So, does it make the most sense for me to get the K30 and buy a slightly more expensive telephoto lens (for going to National Parks), because I wouldn't have to buy basic lenses (I could use the ones I've got)? I've heard that Pentax has far fewer lens choices, though.

Basically, I'd like you to please tell me what to buy and why it would be your choice. Do you have a Nikon, Canon, or Pentax option that I haven't listed, that would be within cost? (And there's always the idea of splurging on the newer K-5 IIs, and forgoing the telephoto lens for the moment...)

So many options...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
My recommendation: Skip the popularity scale, and also look at Sony A57 (outgoing model). But, why not another Pentax? Sony A58 is also worth consideration (but not a direct replacement for A57 as it is now an entry level model).

For best value, skip the kit lens (save $100) and replace it with a mid-range zoom (like 18-135) or a travel zoom. You may have money left for a fast lens (35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8) and/or a small external flash/extra batteries.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
1. B & H Photo has all sorts of adapters, so I am pretty sure they'll find one that would couple your older lenses with a new DSLR. But please be prepared that the overall quality may not be as good.
2. I am an ALL Canon user, so I could say get whatever body, and the 24-105mm f4. That is an all around lens and would provide great quality so long as you're not spending too much time in low light.
3. Yes, please do skip the kit lenses. If "quality" is what you're looking for, then you need a good lens. Its like this: either have 1 good lens, or a bag full of crappy ones. At the end you will end up buying the good lens. Rent a few first before you buy to see how they behave on whatever body you choose.
4. If posting photos on Facebook & social media is your only goal, then an advanced point and shoot might be the best. For web use you don't need large files, and P & S cameras are quite good these days. The more megapixels, the larger the files hence having to buy new hard drives to store it all. I don't see the point in investing in a DSLR if you don't print large prints. For a 4x6 print 1024x768 @ 300dpi is more than enough.
5. Think of how you'd be using it! Are you trying to eliminate the need for a pro? in that case I might suggest a membership with Lynda.com or KelbyTraining.com since those days and memories won't be coming back.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,002,239 times
I would say go with a Nikon D3200 with 18-55 as that kit lens is pretty good and will cover 90% of what you need. That would leave you money for a flash (SB-400) and a 35mm f/1.8 prime lens. Or if you want an ultra wide lens you could skip the 35mm and go with a Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 10-20mm.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 AM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
if you don't mind an older model here is a nice deal on a d90 and lens

Nikon D90 DSLR Camera Kit with 18-105mm DX VR Lens 25448

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
You could always buy a good lens or two for the digital camera you already have. But if you don't want to do that, you could buy an entry-level Canon or Nikon camera. And it does not matter which camera brand you buy (Nikon or Canon), since both compete heavily against each other and the deals you get are about equal.

Nikon users will steer you toward Nikon, while Canon users will steer you toward Canon. Go to the store and handle each camera to see what you like.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,271,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you don't mind an older model here is a nice deal on a d90 and lens

Nikon D90 DSLR Camera Kit with 18-105mm DX VR Lens 25448
+1

Or if you don't mind refurbished, you can pick up a refurbished D3100 w/18-55 for $350.00...I would then spring for a refurbished 18-200mm for $650.00. These units are refurbished by Nikon and warranted.

Refurbished Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera w/18-55mm VR Lens, Refurbished by Nikon #25472B 25472 B

Refurbished Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR II Lens - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A. 2192 B

Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
So I want to buy a new DSLR. I don't want to spend more than $1,000.00 for the camera body and a lens or two, so obviously, I'm going for a more affordable DSLR, rather than a really, really nice one. I'm a casual photographer who would like good photos for when my family goes on vacation, and for taking pictures (and/or video) of my kid.

Nikon and Canon seem to be the most popular, and I can get the Nikon 3100 or 5100 for a pretty good price. The Canon T3 and T4 are around the same costs as the Nikons, I believe. So which one is better? Is going for the 5100 over the 3100 worth the extra money (same question for the Canon)? Who has more affordable lenses?

And to throw a wrench into it - I have an SLR from Pentax, which I have a couple basic lenses for (like an 18-55 that came with the body, for instance). I believe Pentax has made all their SLR type cameras so that they could accept all Pentax lenses. So, does it make the most sense for me to get the K30 and buy a slightly more expensive telephoto lens (for going to National Parks), because I wouldn't have to buy basic lenses (I could use the ones I've got)? I've heard that Pentax has far fewer lens choices, though.

Basically, I'd like you to please tell me what to buy and why it would be your choice. Do you have a Nikon, Canon, or Pentax option that I haven't listed, that would be within cost? (And there's always the idea of splurging on the newer K-5 IIs, and forgoing the telephoto lens for the moment...)

So many options...
Is there any reason you have to have a DSLR? EinsteinsGhost is way more of the expert at this then I am, however, for $600.00 you can get the Sony RX-100 which does a really good job for a casual photographer. There is a couple of threads about this camera on here; pros and cons. I have one and its image quality is just about as good as my DSLR. I have a Nikon D7000.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,818,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
My recommendation: Skip the popularity scale, and also look at Sony A57 (outgoing model). But, why not another Pentax? Sony A58 is also worth consideration (but not a direct replacement for A57 as it is now an entry level model).

For best value, skip the kit lens (save $100) and replace it with a mid-range zoom (like 18-135) or a travel zoom. You may have money left for a fast lens (35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8) and/or a small external flash/extra batteries.
Thanks for pointing me towards the Sony. I read a lot of nice things about the newer SLT-A99V, and wish I had enough money for that one.

Is Sony really good for autofocusing? I have really bad vision, and can't trust myself to manually adjust the focus. It might end up looking clear to me, but it would probably be blurry to everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You could always buy a good lens or two for the digital camera you already have. But if you don't want to do that, you could buy an entry-level Canon or Nikon camera. And it does not matter which camera brand you buy (Nikon or Canon), since both compete heavily against each other and the deals you get are about equal.

Nikon users will steer you toward Nikon, while Canon users will steer you toward Canon. Go to the store and handle each camera to see what you like.
I don't already have a digital camera. I have an SLR, not a DSLR. It's ok, but it's frustrating not being able to preview the photos and decide which ones I want to print and which ones not to bother with. It feels like a waste of money every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Is there any reason you have to have a DSLR? EinsteinsGhost is way more of the expert at this then I am, however, for $600.00 you can get the Sony RX-100 which does a really good job for a casual photographer. There is a couple of threads about this camera on here; pros and cons. I have one and its image quality is just about as good as my DSLR. I have a Nikon D7000.
I'll go look into it, thanks!

For everyone suggesting refurbished, I'm a little wary. I've read reviews on Adorama for refurbished products, and it sounds like some people are happy, and other people were really upset. Some cameras came dirty, dented, scratched up, and some broke within a couple months. It seems like Nikon and Canon aren't consistent with refurbishment.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 06-09-2013 at 12:49 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Thanks for pointing me towards the Sony. I read a lot of nice things about the newer SLT-A99V, and wish I had enough money for that one.

Is Sony really good for autofocusing? I have really bad vision, and can't trust myself to manually adjust the focus. It might end up looking clear to me, but it would probably be blurry to everyone else.

I don't already have a digital camera. I have an SLR, not a DSLR. It's ok, but it's frustrating not being able to preview the photos and decide which ones I want to print and which ones not to bother with. It feels like a waste of money every time.

I'll go look into it, thanks!

For everyone suggesting refurbished, I'm a little wary. I've read reviews on Adorama for refurbished products, and it sounds like some people are happy, and other people were really upset. Some cameras came dirty, dented, scratched up, and some broke within a couple months. It seems like Nikon and Canon aren't consistent with refurbishment.
I buy refurbished from the camera manufacturer (straight from canon or Nikon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography