Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Although all this is not unique to Pittsburgh, if I was going to do a show here, I would probably do it on a combination of all the young chefs opening new restaurants in the area, and maybe the "local food" movement they are often participating in. The story could be something about how a developing cutting-edge food scene, relatively low business costs (property, labor, and so forth), and an abundance of local suppliers is coming together to create these opportunities for young chefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Cincinnatti is famous for its chili. Lexington? Is it as big as Pittsburgh? Does it have major league sports teams? Don't think so! KC? Probably steaks.
Every American city is "famous" for some gimmick dish, it's good for business! However, that doesn't mean it warrants an entire show on it. Also, Lexington's population is bigger than Pittsburgh's within it's city limits.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Every American city is "famous" for some gimmick dish, it's good for business! However, that doesn't mean it warrants an entire show on it. Also, Lexington's population is bigger than Pittsburgh's within it's city limits.
Not quite, and its metro area is about 1/5 of Pgh's.

Lexington, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the 2010 Census the city's population was 295,803, anchoring a metropolitan area of 472,099 people . . .

Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 AM

I'd also suggest the population within the city limits per se has pretty much nothing to do with the local restaurant scene ("per se" meaning independent from things like the population of the metro area, population of the urbanized area, and so forth).

Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not quite, and its metro area is about 1/5 of Pgh's.

Lexington, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the 2010 Census the city's population was 295,803, anchoring a metropolitan area of 472,099 people . . .
Eh, close enough as far as a comparison of similar size cities considering our "metro" includes 7 counties and our city's populations are within 10k of one another.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Eh, close enough as far as a comparison of similar size cities . . .
Ah, that's the rub. Lexington is a consolidated city-county, and has 284.5 square miles of land area. Pittsburgh has only 55.5 square miles of land area. If the two cities were actually the same geographic size, Pittsburgh would undoubtedly have a much higher population.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM

367 posts, read 622,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Cleveland has more vibrant suburbs, Pittsburgh has a more vibrant city. Therefore, if Cleveland (the city) can get an episode to itself that isn't just rust belt related, then so can Pittsburgh. Like it has been said in this thread before, he samples the local cuisines on his show, and doesn't just frequent just the highest rated or iron chef owned restaurants in town.

It's really not that complicated.
Cleveland has far better restaurants than Pittsburgh does. I moved to Pittsburgh in April and I have yet to have a meal that I really enjoyed.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd also suggest the population within the city limits per se has pretty much nothing to do with the local restaurant scene ("per se" meaning independent from things like the population of the metro area, population of the urbanized area, and so forth).
Yeah, I'm surprised that a veteran poster like ATC would even post something like that. City population is absolutely meaningless when it comes to the ability to support various amenities. Metro population is the only thing that matters.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Cleveland has far better restaurants than Pittsburgh does. I moved to Pittsburgh in April and I have yet to have a meal that I really enjoyed.
This is the truth. Pittsburgh trumps Cleveland in other areas, but dining is just not one of them. Most on this forum will refuse to accept that.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised that a veteran poster like ATC would even post something like that. City population is absolutely meaningless when it comes to the ability to support various amenities. Metro population is the only thing that matters.
But what about the other cities I mentioned? You guys!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh