Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Young people overpaying for rent to live in swanky areas are unlikely to want to shop at Aldis. If they were budget minded they likely wouldn't be overpaying for rent.

They are going to find out the hard way to be budget minded when they are house poor. If my fridge and pantry are bare and I have only fifty bucs to payday next week, I am going to Aldi's to stretch my dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
Many times people value convenience over anything else. I think it will do well.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 AM

475 posts, read 570,827 times
Back home in WNY the most common cars to see at Aldi were Cadillacs, BMWs, and Mercedes.

"Oh people with money don't need to shop there"... unless they like having money as opposed to spending it all, I suppose.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I know a lot of people who, in a certain stage of their life, basically were willing to pay for an apartment in a fun location and then try to handle the rest of their budget with pocket change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
That depends. Just because you are living somewhere where the rent is higher doesn't mean you aren't willing to cut corners anywhere else. Maybe they just like to live in an area where there is more to do. Swank really may not have to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
They are going to find out the hard way to be budget minded when they are house poor. If my fridge and pantry are bare and I have only fifty bucs to payday next week, I am going to Aldi's to stretch my dollar.
You all have a point. If someone is stretching their wallet and paying more than they should be for an apartment, then they might shop at Aldi's. What I meant was those who live in overpriced places (over priced for pittsburgh, not for them) might be unlikely to shop at Aldis. The only people I know who live in expensive apartments on the south side work at American Eagle, and I don't think they'd be caught dead in an Aldi's.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Yeah, I guess it depends on what the OP meant by "overpriced". Some people might think virtually all the apartments in the South Side Flats are overpriced relatively to similar apartments in many other parts of Pittsburgh, but of course that price premium is because of the location.

In any event, I strongly suspect there are quite a few people living near that location who have a tight food budget for one reason or another.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
I would never describe the South Side as "swank." It has charm, it has history, it has vibrance, but it is not "swank." It has a blue collar feel.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I would never describe the South Side as "swank." It has charm, it has history, it has vibrance, but it is not "swank." It has a blue collar feel.
Well, there is the old South Side, and then there is the South Side Works. I'm not sure the latter is "swank", but it is certainly fairly upscale by Pittsburgh standards. This would be on the border between them.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM

475 posts, read 570,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Imagine that, a blue collar city feels blue collar. What's next, complaining Philadelphia has a "run down ghetto and criminal" feel?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I always thought that South Side was one of the nicest parts of the city. It has an amazing European vibe on one side and all of the new, hip, American consumer side on the other. If Aldi's does end up opening down there, I'll give it a second chance.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I always thought that South Side was one of the nicest parts of the city. It has an amazing European vibe on one side and all of the new, hip, American consumer side on the other. If Aldi's does end up opening down there, I'll give it a second chance.
I've never lived there, but I think of it as a place where you have to be careful not to step in beer vomit on your way to church on Sunday.

And then I have a friend who lives there, and when you're outside at his house, you have to breathe in fumes from some factory that works with paper. Printing something? In any case, it smells like warm nail polish remover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh