Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM

58 posts, read 72,961 times

Advertisements

You know I always liked that area. When I was a kid I though it looked cool because it was different from the the east end. I can't place my finger on it, but it felt like a different city. However, with a group of projects and an adult movie theater nearby, I'm guessing that's why allegheny center never really took off. I'm glad that finally there might be some revitalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi View Post
You know I always liked that area. When I was a kid I though it looked cool because it was different from the the east end. I can't place my finger on it, but it felt like a different city. However, with a group of projects and an adult movie theater nearby, I'm guessing that's why allegheny center never really took off. I'm glad that finally there might be some revitalization.
Allegheny Center was actually a moving place back in the 70's, went there for shopping all the time.

They had Sears, Zayres, Woolworth's and Giant Eagle down below.

Zayres and Woolworths both went deep-six on a national level and Sears really downsized the number of stores, and there really wasn't room for expansion at the Allegheny Center Mall. Grocery stores also expanded in size after the 1970's, and Giant Eagle closed both the mall store and the E. North Ave store near Middle St. at the same time.

The projects weren't that close to the mall, and I liked to shop there because you could park right underneath.

The mall also suffered because they didn't have any higher end mall stores, no Kaufmanns or Hornes or Macys.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Work to begin on Allegheny Public Square

http://www.thenorthsidechronicle.com/blog/?p=2281

Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Excellent news! We're fairly frequent visitors of the Children's Museum so it will be fun to watch the progress.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
so sad, it's taking several decades to undo the damage from the 60's. in a lot of ways this is exactly the same problem as the lower hill, though allegheny city has certainly made more progress...
http://www.suisman.com/allegheny/ppg...an_article.jpg

Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
In the past two decades, private landlords and the city have poured millions into revitalizing green spaces, such as Bryant Park, Madison Square Park and the High Line. Those investments appear to have paid off in significantly higher office rents.
Office buildings located directly across from five city parks command rents on average 44% higher than comparable nearby properties...
Residential buildings on park-side streets like Fifth Avenue and Central Park West have long been expected to command top dollar. It turns out that companies seek out offices by parks for similar reasons: views, prestige and a rare quiet retreat from the bustle of the city.
Parks Elevate Office Rents - WSJ.com
perhaps this is a way to leverage improving the commons and the center (replace the mall with two highrise office and residential?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh