Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,234,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
but find the people ruder than their friendly reputation (double ). So basically I feel the complete opposite of the OP. lol

Maybe I should start a thread presenting my opinion as fact, like he did. Then everyone can bash me and get riled up.
I already did that kind of thread a week or so ago. Most thought I was just an a**hole. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,939,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
LOL, I still don't understand why so many people think Pittsburgh is so humid in the summer. You've obviously never lived in the southeast.
Humid? Here? Ha!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,068,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The studies that rank Pittsburgh highly in livability focus on factors such as the cost of living and income growth in recent years. They don't attempt to assess whether a city is physically attractive. That's how Forbes (which rated Pittsburgh #1) could place Trenton NJ above San Francisco or Boston.
Not true. The Huffington Post ranked Pittsburgh #20 (out off 43) of the "Prettiest Cities in the World." I agree.

43 Prettiest Cities In The World (PHOTOS)

Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 PM

567 posts, read 1,165,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Not true. The Huffington Post ranked Pittsburgh #20 (out off 43) of the "Prettiest Cities in the World." I agree.

43 Prettiest Cities In The World (PHOTOS)
Actually we are at 32, and the accuracy/reliability of that poll was contested in a previous thread, but Pittsburgh is indeed pretty nonetheless.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,068,390 times
Whether something is physically attractive or not is completely subjective. There is no way to legitimately rank cities on physical attractiveness. That said, whether you think Pittsburgh's buildings are "ugly" or "beautiful" will depend on your preference for historic or modern architecture, and how much decay you can tolerate (most cities, rust belt or not, have a fair share of decayed buildings and blight).

Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,753,983 times
9 deleted posts later I'd like to ask everyone not to get too excited about someone's opinion - we're all allowed one.
Also I'd like to remind everyone that it is up to the mods to say who is a troll.
Carry on.
Yac.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,335,411 times
I always thought the SCENERY was one of the plusses. Particularly compared to the flat Midwest.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,216,666 times
I'm sorry I missed those nine deleted posts, cause I'd really hate to inadvertantly be covering the same ground, but...

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, certainly. You might think my wife is a real sweetheart, but she's, quote/unquote, ugly. While you're entitled to hold that opinion, to come out and express that opinion so directly, by actually calling her "ugly"...

Well, my opinion, expressed in my most friendly, Pittsburgh fashion, would be that: Yinz must be some kinda jagoff.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM

140 posts, read 257,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
OUCH! I wonder if the OP is rethinking the "friendliest people" thing. Troll or not the originial post doesn't seem overwhelmingly inflammatory. "Rust Belt" cities' landscapes aren't everyone's cup of tea. Living more or less in between Pittsburgh and DC (or Baltimore) I think I can view his opinion somewhat objectively. I definitely like the customer service aspect of Pittsburgh more. I can't think of a "sit-down" restaurant that I've gone to where the manager hasn't at least personally asked how we were doing. I don't mind "blue collar" personalities and I can't really say I have had any conflicts with anyone here. However, I kinda feel that that transit operators (mainly bus drivers) were kinda rude and it is interesting in light of the union struggles and absenteeism that happened recently.

But Washington DC has better scenery than Pittsburgh? Both have pretty magnificent central cities IMO but residential areas that haven't experienced growth and new construction since the 1950s. Some of the neighborhoods are well kept and others are not. I'm not seeing where DC is anymore aesthetically pleasing than Pittsburgh. Also, I am missing where DC weather is better than Pittsburgh. Once again, I'm in between both metros and I honestly don't see an appreciable difference except Pittsburgh can get remnants of lake effect snow where DC does not. But we're not exactly talking about the difference between Western Maryland and Palm Beach here.
Having lived in both places (and being a Florida native), I think I can offer some insight.

The OP mentioned attending UPitt for two years. If he's anything like most of the college kids who attend college somewhere between Fifth and Forbes, the OP's probably never made it further west than Station Square. Not exactly a lot of "scenery" to see in between there and Oakland..but surely a lot of urban blight. That said, though, my fondest memories of Pittsburgh were the views--you just gotta know how to get to them (literally). The whole warp-zone effect of the Fort Pitt tunnels going into the city, not to mention the views from up on Mount Washington and from the West End overlook, can't be beat by very many places in the country--in fact, I don't know that any other views can top those, for sheer breathtaking awesomeness. (And I've been a lot of places.)

As far as DC/Baltimore/that whole area goes...it IS much cleaner and a helluva lot more modern than the Pgh area (well obviously...that is where the center of our nation's gub'ment resides). And there's definitely some cool, historical things and places to look at--and not just the National Mall. HOWEVUH...the general attitude in and around the DC area tends to be one of "snobbish"...young professionals within DC proper (and the few I came across in the MD/NoVA areas immediately bordering it) rank among some of the absolute rudest people I've met in my life--even more so than up in NYC and Boston (who might be, on the whole, the rudest people ever, in my opinion). There's also way more to do down there in the way of popular entertainment and nightlife...but it comes at a price. And then there's this nugget: yes the DC METRO does exist, but it ain't cheap. The fact that the METRO and MARC (the B'more area/MD rail transit) don't even interline, even though both go into the other's metro area, really mucks that up. Another thing is traffic...some of the WORST in the nation. This is one area Pittsburgh wins...the way the PAT developed over the years ended up making it mighty efficient for people who choose not to drive, like I did most itmes when I lived there (it'd probably be more so if the heads at PAT had half a clue how to manage it--North Shore Connector, anyone???).

So really, I guess it comes down to preference...practicality, or pizzazz. If you like glitz, glamour, and a whole lot of beutiful people (and could AFFORD it), you'd probably prefer DC. If you prefer more laid-back, friendly, cost-effective and easy-going (and a couple less beautiful people), Pittsburgh would be the choice. Nothing wrong with either, just depends on one's preference. Though i will say this: being from down south, Pittsburgh felt like it could be picked up and dropped off in the south, and it'd fit right in. That's something I can't say about the DC area.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,522,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
I wish I could call the summer here "mild" humidity-wise. It's like walking through hot soup. I'd take the average day in the winter over the height of summer here any day.
I think the same thing. Humidity is what it kills it for me. In summer i suffer the most. Winter, by comparison is just fine. Spring and fall are my favorites in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh