Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
And if we "got out " to other places this past week we would have met blizzard conditions stretching from Denver to the midwest. Chicago cancelled 1,300 flights. States of emergency were declared in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Missouri. Kansas had multiple counties under a disaster condition. Texas had ice storms,etc.

We had 40-some degree weather with light rain while all that ^ was going on .Yes we can get some rough weather here, but so can everyone else.
Well, yes, as they said on CNN over and over again, 1/3 of the country was affected with that storm. You can "tit for tat" this to death. I don't get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 PM

156 posts, read 297,451 times
Yes, Pittsburgh is a rust belt city and shows it. But downtown is getting prettier all the time. Perhaps the OP has not seen the new PNC3 building (including the Fairmont Hotel), renovated Buhl building and the other buildings leading into market square, the fountain/skating rink at PPG place, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM

23,317 posts, read 29,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
LOL, I still don't understand why so many people think Pittsburgh is so humid in the summer. You've obviously never lived in the southeast.
Visitors from the SE might find it more relieving, but if you get visitors from the desert SW, even if the humidity level is only 40%, they'll complain and complain.

Accustomed to our low 5-15% humidity level here, summer vacations to anywhere east of the Rockies is off my radar screen.

I've been to Pittsburgh twice, but just to be safe, early May and Fall. Too scared to try it in July.

Last edited by tijlover; 02-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Visitors from the SE might find it more relieving, but if you get visitors from the desert SW, even if the humidity level is only 40%, they'll complain and complain.

Accustomed to our low 5-15% humidity level here, summer vacations to anywhere east of the Rockies is off my radar screen.

I've been to Pittsburgh twice, but just to be safe, early May and Fall. Too scared to try it in July.
The average afternoon humidity in Pittsburgh for every month of the year except April is >50%, and for April it's right at 50%. August is close to 60%. Morining humidities there are above 70% every month of the year, and close to 90% in August.

I'm not at a computer where I can cut and paste, but just go to the CD main page for Pittsburgh.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 PM

23,317 posts, read 29,186,172 times
It's that word average that doesn't eliminate my fears.

A rainstorm comes through, and what's it going to be like the next day or two?

I lived in Minnesota 43 years and I know what it can be like, in summer, after a rain. I attended a family reunion in July one time, rained the day before, and haven't attended one since.

Another factor: We have no mosquito's, woodticks, gnats out here, too dry. I refuse to believe there's no measurable insect problem there in July.

Last edited by tijlover; 02-03-2011 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-04-2011, 05:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,085,250 times
Here is the humidity graph from City Data:

One obvious thing to note is that it is tracking very close to the middle of the U.S. average ranges. Obviously if you prefer/are-accustomed-to a desert climate, that will seem humid to you.

Another thing to note is that the most humid period during the year depends a bit on whether you are talking about morning or afternoons. But roughly speaking, of the non-cold months, April through July and October are less humid than August/September.

All that said, there really aren't huge differences--all these months are very humid by desert standards, but conversely I'm not sure that it would make that much difference being here in July versus May.

Finally, for comparison here is a truly humid city (Houston):

And a dry one (Las Vegas):

Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,856,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
uhhhh....yeah, that's why I ended my comment with something along the lines of "but that's the entire North East and Midwest". People get way too defensive and make mountains out of nothing when it comes to anybody out there disagreeing with native Pittsburgh impressions. Everybody is allowed to have an oppinion...now we're really digging at it, everybody out there just needs to let it go already and accept the fact that not everybody views Pittsburgh or any city for that matter through the same eyes.
No I don't have a problem with a differing opinion, what I DO have a problem with is the assumption that people who don't think the weather is all that horrific here never "get out of the area " or "experience milder climates"
I've been all over the northeast, midwest, Pacific northwest, Rocky mountains as well as the southeast. I've also been to Europe numerous times and I'm an experienced traveler.

Just because I, or other Pittsburghers, happen to think the weather is not all that bad here doesn't mean that we've never visited or spent time in other areas of the country or even other parts of the world.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,536,893 times
I agree about the weather..half agree about the scenery.. pittsburgh does have some very ugly parts, but you can't say it's an ugly city entirely. There are far uglier. The bridges and mountains around the downtown area are beautiful in my humble opinion, and I haven't gotten sick of seeing the skyline suddenly appear coming out of the tunnels in the 22 years I've lived here. As far as the people, some are nice and some are "jagoffs"..but you get that everywhere. I don't put pittsburgh on the top of my list of cities i want to live in the USA...but it will always have a certain charm to it for me at least.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,071,706 times
The OP won!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,734,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
In before people pick apart the "weather/scenery sucks" part of your post and completely negate the nice comments you made about the people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh