Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
WE didn't do ****, unless one of us happens to be on the team.
Not in my book. The team is NOTHING without fans paying money and seeing them or our tax dollars building new stadiums. WE do plenty. I will say WE all day long. Live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
The music video shows quite a few images of the city and its surroundings, including several skyline images, bridges, and the smokestacks at The Waterfront.
So, you're pointing out that the "song" (music and lyrics), isn't strong enough to stand on its own. It requires the video to give it context. Ok. I can agree with that..

Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Quote:
WE didn't do ****, unless one of us happens to be on the team.
Not in my book. The team is NOTHING without fans paying money and seeing them or our tax dollars building new stadiums. WE do plenty. I will say WE all day long. Live with it.
And this touches on something I've always had a bit of a problem with--Professional sports teams really don't represent their towns in any real fashion. High school teams; that's different. They are a representation of the community, and the qualities that the residents bring to their kids. College teams, less so, because they recruit from far and wide, based on what an athlete can bring to the team, but at least those athletes are members of the student body. Pros? Tomorrow they could be playing for a different city altogeher, either through trades or free agency.

Maybe somebody should organize a fantasy league, based on where the players grew up? It'd be interesting to see how the Pittsburgh region stacks up against the rest of the country then...

(I suspect we'd hold our own. We've grown a few good ballplayers around here.)

Sorry for the OT. Back to our regularly scheduled debate about the relative merits of rap music, and Wiz....

Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Pittsburgh and the Steelers? Where?

WIZ KHALIFA - BLACK AND YELLOW LYRICS

(Thought about copying and pasting them here, but I think there'd have been an over abundance of ****** asterisks...)

On edit: (And yeah, ok, maybe it mentions his "town", but it never references Pittsburgh by name or nickname. Maybe the color scheme of his car is inspired by the Steeler's colors, but it's still about a car...)

(And drugs.)
From Billboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Trust
Wiz Khalifa's 'Black And Yellow' Tops Hot 100

Perhaps as consolation for forlorn Pittsburgh Steelers fans, Wiz Khalifa's Steel City anthem "Black and Yellow" ascends to the top of the Billboard Hot 100, jumping 4-1.

Though the Steelers lost Super Bowl XLV Sunday (Feb. 6) to the Green Bay Packers, the song registered gains in sales and airplay in the week leading up to the NFL title tilt. The Rostrum/Atlantic MC's "Black and Yellow" holds at No. 2 on Digital Songs (198,000 downloads sold, up 6%, according to Nielsen SoundScan) and pushes 10-7 on Radio Songs (81 million audience impressions, up 11%, per Nielsen BDS).
From Wiz Khalifa himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz Khalifa
We got two or three records that we're tossing around; it's just the order of which ones we're gonna put out. Right now, there's one that's gonna be real big for Pittsburgh. It's gonna be the Steelers' anthem: It's called "Black and Yellow."
From the same article at MTV.com...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Motgomery
Wiz Khalifa Wants 'Black And Yellow' To Be Steelers' Anthem
Pittsburgh MC waves his team's Terrible Towel in track's new video

The song leaked at the beginning of September — just in time for kickoff — and finally, on Sunday, a date that just so happened to coincide with the Steelers' bye week, Wiz released the video for "Black and Yellow." The clip shows him performing on the streets of Pittsburgh, wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the Steelers' Super Bowl championship ring and — of course — waiving the team's ubiquitous Terrible Towel.

It's definitely an anthem for both the Steelers and the Steel City, and with star Steelers' QB Ben Roethlisberger set to rejoin the team this weekend (after a four-game suspension following an allegation of sexual assault), Wiz's timing couldn't have been better. We bet you'll be hearing "Black and Yellow" for the remainder of the 2010 season ... and possibly beyond.
So yeah, the #1 song in America is about Pittsburgh and the Steelers.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
BS.

The song is intended to capitalize on the Steeler's success and popularity, for sure. But it doesn't mention either the team or the town, or even the sport by name. (The colors could just as easily be the Pirates, no?) I suggest that if it did, it would not now be #1, because people in other markets wouldn't buy a Burgh-centric song.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
There is a plethora of good music out there for those who care to look. This song, is not included in that plethora, at least for me.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Then I guess you're wrong. Live with it.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

From Wiz Khalifa himself...

Oh, well, as long as reality bends according to claims by individuals...

I am the King of Pittsburgh. All shall bow to me and give tithe, for I am your lord and master.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Oh, well, as long as reality bends according to claims by individuals...

I am the King of Pittsburgh. All shall bow to me and give tithe, for I am your lord and master.

Uh, the "reality" of the song would probably "bend" according to the claim of the person who wrote/recorded it. Don't let me get in the way of everybody's objective bashing of subjective tastes, though.

The worst thing about this forum is that it leads outsiders who stumble upon it to think that Pittsburgh itself is full of sad, bitter people.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Screw Wiz, these two are a million times more creative and musically charming than he could ever be...and they have a tater tot monster in their video, what's not to like about that? The biggest problem with rap is that nobody has fun with it anymore and everybody has to sell some kind of image...Wiz is a pretty good example of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAfKc9x01_k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh