Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times

Advertisements

East Liberty. Negley Avenue, to be exact. You really have to watch it at night, when you drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
And let's keep in mind that we're mainly talking about people who will walk against the light or in the middle of the street when there are no cars coming. I count myself in that group. I'm rather cautious with it, has to be really no cars including turning from the cross street, etc, but I will do it when nothing's coming. Just did a little while ago, in fact.

Very few people will jump out against the light or in the middle of the street when there's a car bearing down with what should be the right of way. THAT is not common. So it's not like we're talking about complete chaos if you're driving through the downtown streets.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
And frankly, as a pedestrian I've had more problems at intersections Downtown than between them, due to drivers making turns. Basically, way too many drivers seem to think those red left-turn arrows and little white guys don't apply to them.

I have no issues at the intersection of Braddock and Hutchinson, or Braddock and Forbes. My biggest issue are the two huge signs in front of our house and the old Park Place school that state "Yield to Peds in Crosswalk". Six foot tall, red haired guy that can be plainly seen by anyone, can stand there all day while people drive by. That unfortunately forces me to jaywalk in that area.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Yeah, a lot of turning cars seem to think they don't have to yield to people crossing, but I do think this has actually gotten somewhat better over the years. I also think it helps when there is a real pedestrian signal.

Mid-block crosswalks are really hit or miss, mostly miss. I cross over one of the ones on Liberty in Gateway Center fairly regularly. It's the incoming traffic that tends not to stop. I've gotten rather aggressive and start walking. Sometimes they still whiz by. I think I'll start smacking cars if they're going slow enough.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
Southside has a lot of jwalking barcrawlers during peak hours.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I have no issues at the intersection of Braddock and Hutchinson, or Braddock and Forbes. My biggest issue are the two huge signs in front of our house and the old Park Place school that state "Yield to Peds in Crosswalk". Six foot tall, red haired guy that can be plainly seen by anyone, can stand there all day while people drive by. That unfortunately forces me to jaywalk in that area.
That reminds me of a delivery I made recently to a home on Beechwood Boulevard (the busy stretch between the Parkway and the Waterfront). There is a huge pedestrian sign and well-marked crosswalk that I was standing at the edge of with a gift to deliver to a home directly across the street. It took me ten minutes to finally dart across. Needless to say I HATE making deliveries to residences along that stretch of Beechwood now. I couldn't imagine living there.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think I'll start smacking cars if they're going slow enough.
When I lived in Reston, VA I witnessed a pedestrian with the "WALK" signal who was almost hit by a car turning left into his path literally smack the rear end of the car. A few choice words were exchanged as the guy stopped his car and rolled his window down. This was at the intersection of New Dominion Parkway & Market Street, which is in a heavy pedestrian area near our fake Downtown.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I have no issues at the intersection of Braddock and Hutchinson, or Braddock and Forbes.
I haven't either.

Quote:
My biggest issue are the two huge signs in front of our house and the old Park Place school that state "Yield to Peds in Crosswalk". Six foot tall, red haired guy that can be plainly seen by anyone, can stand there all day while people drive by. That unfortunately forces me to jaywalk in that area.
This is a problem at all the crosswalks along Braddock without stop-lights. Some people stop, but way too many just ignore the yield signs. I'll just walk out in front of drivers if I think they have plenty of stopping distance, but I do feel like I am playing *******.

Edit: That ******* was the name of a famous old video game where an amphibian needs to cross a street and a river.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah, a lot of turning cars seem to think they don't have to yield to people crossing, but I do think this has actually gotten somewhat better over the years. I also think it helps when there is a real pedestrian signal.
Agreed on both counts, but I walk so much Downtown I still see this happening all the time. I might start carrying around an aluminum bat so I can let some cars know exactly how I feel about it.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
I trace part of the general traffic slackness (Pittsburgh left, ignoring crosswalks, jaywalking, etc) to the cops' reaction to the 1997 DOJ/ALCU consent decree.

"Strong officer resentment of the reforms introduced under the consent decree" (in the bland phrase of the DOJ report) was expressed at the time by an unspoken work-to-rule protest by cops who "complained that the multitude of new forms required by the decree were time-consuming and confusing".

Rather than submit to the consent decree by filling out the additional forms required for traffic stops, PBP cops seem to have simply looked the other way at minor infractions. And Pittsburghers quickly got used to the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh