Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:24 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yep, that falls under the heading of what I called Rapid Bus.
ah, I thought Rapid bus included stations and dedicated ROW, etc.

Quote:
Maybe, but I don't see that being obvious. If you want to go all the way to Downtown from East Liberty, you can use the Busway. If you want to go to Lower Lawrenceville or the Strip, you might want a new rapid option, but then it doesn't really add much value for it to continue on through the Strip to Downtown.
right but I think you're getting distracted by endpoints, the idea would be seat turnover for intermediate points poorly served by the busway. not sure why it wouldn't add value. you'd turn seats over since it would be a good connection from the strip to the incline via downtown. and as a tourist, you may well prefer the one seat ride or transferring, or perhaps you're going from the incline to picolo forno (or some such place). or downtown to the brillobox or chp. with a bus, it really wouldn't add enormous costs like it would with a streetcar.
Quote:
I honestly don't understand the primacy you are giving to East Liberty. It is one local node, but people are also going to want to go back and forth between that area and Oakland, or the North Side, or Squirrel Hill, or Millvale, or Highland Park, and so on. Again, I have no inherent problem with a rapid connection to East Liberty, but it is only one of many such connections one could wish for.
right, but the costs are relatively low. skip stop operation just requires new signs or even stickers at the skipped stops. just because other areas need such improvements doesn't mean you shouldn't improve these. you don't need an expensive consultant, it's something any transit agency can do. I'd guess the rapid bus to oakland will be much more than skip stop or even transit first. and, btw, this is a thread about east liberty which would explain why I mentioned it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:01 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
ah, I thought Rapid bus included stations and dedicated ROW, etc.
It is intended to be flexible and could include elements like that in some cases, but it starts just with the sorts of mild BRT measures you were citing.

Quote:
not sure why it wouldn't add value. you'd turn seats over since it would be a good connection from the strip to the incline via downtown. and as a tourist, you may well prefer the one seat ride or transferring
But big picturewise, there are a gazillion different routes like this--combinations of possible common tourist destinations on roughly opposite sides of the Strip. If they go with a buslane-type approach for rapid transit in the Strip, I don't necessarily have a problem with a few such bus routes being scheduled, but they are peripheral to actually providing good service for this area.

Quote:
just because other areas need such improvements doesn't mean you shouldn't improve these. . . . and, btw, this is a thread about east liberty which would explain why I mentioned it here.
Sure, and I think I have been clear about not having a problem with some sort of Rapid Bus route between East Liberty and the Riverfront.
But my point is that from an East Liberty perspective, that would be the clear priority. A further extension of that router to Downtown would be a lot less important because East Liberty already has a rapid route to Downtown--in fact further routing from Downtown to any of the many possible destinations that could be reached from Downtown could use the Busway, and it isn't clear that East Liberty would benefit from routing that potential traffic through the Riverfront first instead.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
It is intended to be flexible and could include elements like that in some cases, but it starts just with the sorts of mild BRT measures you were citing.
I think it'd be useful to separate the ideas. one is BRT, the other is enhanced bus. very different.

Quote:
But big picturewise, there are a gazillion different routes like this--combinations of possible common tourist destinations on roughly opposite sides of the Strip. If they go with a buslane-type approach for rapid transit in the Strip, I don't necessarily have a problem with a few such bus routes being scheduled, but they are peripheral to actually providing good service for this area.
it's not peripheral, it's providing good service to a variety of users.

Quote:
Sure, and I think I have been clear about not having a problem with some sort of Rapid Bus route between East Liberty and the Riverfront.
But my point is that from an East Liberty perspective, that would be the clear priority. A further extension of that router to Downtown would be a lot less important because East Liberty already has a rapid route to Downtown--in fact further routing from Downtown to any of the many possible destinations that could be reached from Downtown could use the Busway, and it isn't clear that East Liberty would benefit from routing that potential traffic through the Riverfront first instead.
I don't think you need rapid bus, you need frequent, reliably, and reasonably fast. it isn't that far away. again, I think you are being misled by the endpoints. it's not about east liberty to downtown so much as turnover. I don't really agree with your busway point and I certainly don't agree that it isn't clear that east liberty, or any other area for that matter, wouldn't benefit. in fact, there is a bus that already does it, which is why IO suggested it simply be rebranded, beefed up, and extended.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think it'd be useful to separate the ideas. one is BRT, the other is enhanced bus. very different.
Except the same route could use both sets of technologies on different segments respectively. And over time, you could upgrade more sections.

Quote:
I don't really agree with your busway point
You can feel as you like, but that is why people in East Liberty aren't going to care much whether or not "beefed up" service from East Liberty to the Riverfront continues on to Downtown using a common ROW with whatever rapid service ends up serving the Riverfront to Downtown. But the "beefed up" service to the Riverfront itself they might appreciate.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Courtesy of a poster at another forum, a website about the new project:

BLASIER URBAN LLC

Including a rendering:

It is hard to be sure, but it looks to me like they intend to incorporate some of the historic facades along Penn, which is great.

Edit: These better renderings make that quite clear:

Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 AM

A little reminder of what is there right now:

pittsburgh - Google Maps

Old 09-12-2011, 11:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Please note that there's a difference between East Liberty and Highland Park.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Please note that there's a difference between East Liberty and Highland Park.
There is indeed, although I think the time is soon approaching, if it hasn't already arrived, in which proximity to East Liberty will be considered a selling point and not a drawback.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
There is indeed, although I think the time is soon approaching, if it hasn't already arrived, in which proximity to East Liberty will be considered a selling point and not a drawback.
As a mostly almost 60 year resident of Highland Park, I think you're dreaming.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM

From the brochure:

Quote:
NOW LEASING THE BEST NEW OFFICE SPACE IN TOWN.
IN THE CENTER OF EAST LIBERTY'S DOWNTOWN,
A NEW TAKE ON PITTSBURGH'S URBAN OFFICE LIFESTYLE.

Ride your bicycle, walk, take the busway or drive and park to work. Take a walk to
Whole Foods, Casbah, Mad Mex, Buffalo Blues, Plum. Dinette, brgr, Spoon, Paris 66 or
Salt for lunch or dinner. Walk over to Target to run an errand or Trader Joes for a bag
of last minute groceries. Start your morning with a chocolate croissant and coffee
downstairs at The Odeon Café or grab a cocktail, dinner and a movie downstairs at the
Spotlight Theatre after a workout at Urban Active just a few blocks down the street.
The dream is spreading fast. And these people are willing to bet $18 million on it becoming a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh