Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 43,187 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to the Pittsburgh area, and I'm considering the Hampton and Fox Chapel areas. I've visited once and the neighborhoods in those areas looked nice.

However, as I explore those areas on Google maps more, I begin to wonder where those residents do their shopping? It doesn't seem like there are many nice grocery stores, hardware stores, Target, drug store, etc. It seems like most of those shopping areas are somewhat spread out about 15-20 minutes away. Having two young kids, it's not uncommon to "run to the store" to get something urgently.

Am I missing something? Where do Hampton and Fox Chapel users shop?

(sorry I can't narrow down the neighborhoods much yet)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
Can't speak for Hampton, but I live in Fox Chapel and we live two minutes from the Waterworks mall and the adjacent Fox Chapel Plaza. There are two grocery stores, a Barnes and Noble, a Panera, a Rite Aid, a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, a Walmart, an Old Navy, a Coffee Tree Roasters, a Ross, TJMaxx, Caribou Coffee, a big movie theaters, several banks, shoe stores, and many, many more. Across the street are a few dry cleaners/tailors, and more restaurants.

The one weakness is definitely lack of a hardware store, unfortunately. There's a small one across the river in Oakmont, and a Lowe's about 15 minutes away.

There is a Target about 4 miles away, which might sound far, but it's in the direction of out of town, so I can get there within 10 minutes no problem.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Actually, there is a hardware store in the Fox Chapel area. There is J&W Variety in Aspinwall. It is on Brilliant Avenue. It is not a full fledged hardware store, but they sell tools, make keys, etc. They also sell stationery, cards, candy. etc. It is sort of a hardware, card shop, convenient store. Thus, J & W Variety. Oh, and they sell and repair sweepers and their belts, bags, etc.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Btw, Fox Chapel Borough has no commercial or retail establishments. Sometimes the area along Freeport Road and the Allegheny River around Waterworks Mall and Fox Chapel Plaza are refered to being Fox Chapel. They are not. Waterworks is City Of Pittsburgh and Fox Chapel Plaza is in O'Hara. In fact dozens of businesses in this area use "Fox Chapel" when they are in O'Hara or another surrounding community. Fox Chapel High School is in O'Hara also.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:48 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Waterworks is City Of Pittsburgh
Which neighborhood in the city is the Waterworks located?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Which neighborhood in the city is the Waterworks located?

Technically its in the 12th ward which is Lincoln Lemington.

But since that segment of the city has virtually no residents that part is a technicality.

If you are there it will be the City police and fire that will respond to calls, and if you work there, the City is the taxing authority.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 PM

18 posts, read 38,646 times
In Hampton, shopping will depend on what part of the township you're in. If you're in the southwest corner, you're just a few minutes from the McKnight Road corridor including McIntyre Square, which has a Giant Eagle, K-Mart, some banks, Olive Garden, and a fitness center, etc. Ross Park Mall, another 5 minutes south on McKnight Rd., is considered to be the best mall in the Pittsburgh area and includes Nordstrom's, Macy's, Sears, Cheesecake Factory, California PIzza Kitchen, Crate and Barrell, etc.

Panera, Home Depot, and Ald, along with some fast food options, are in convenient, central location along Rt. 8.

In the northern part of the township, north of the Rt. 910 intersection with Rt. 8, is another shopping area that includes grocery stores, some restaurants, some fast food, and a Target.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM

If you live in the Fox Chapel area and are not far from the Route 28 corridor, there is also Pittsburgh Mills about ten minutes north on 28 from Waterworks. A lot of people feel that the mall aspect of Pittsburgh Mills leaves a lot to be desired, but there is a Super Wal Mart, Sears Grand, Lowes, Best Buy and many other stores and restaurants. It is only a hop, skip and a jump away from the Fox Chapel area, but does not seem to be as popular here as one would think.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
The Waterworks is much more covenient if you buy a house that is as close as possible to the intersection of Fox Chapel Road and Field Club Road and you will be minutes from shopping.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I go to Trader Joes and Community Market. I don't like the Waterworks much with so many people shopping there from other areas, but the liquor store is good. Kind of funny, I go to East Liberty to shop and East Liberty comes to the Waterworks to shop. Seems odd, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh