Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM

202 posts, read 367,928 times

Advertisements

Hey Pittsburghers!

I took the lady out to Pittsburgh (her first visit) this past weekend for a piece I'm working on regarding the idea of a "Cleveburgh" I first read about in the Plain Dealer/Post-Gazette.

I just wanted to say we had an amazing time in the 'Burgh, had a great host at the Fairmont Hotel with help from Visit Pittsburgh, and we can't wait to explore ways to further promote our region in order to better promote our region as one.

That said, I thought it would be interested to see what Pittsburghers' thoughts are on the topic. I saw many similarities between our two cities as I took a closer look and the differences I saw weren't necessarily cons to either city, but rather a reason to visit one another.

Personally, I'd love to see more made of the Cleveburgh concept. Instead of butting heads (leave that to the Browns/Steelers twice a year), working together can only benefit our cities and the areas in between (Youngstown in particular).

Any thoughts, friends?

Cheers,
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Yes! I wholeheartedly agree with you and I don't understand why Cleveland is not included in an existing regional economic alliance (P32) that already has many eastern Ohio counties in the group along with Allegheny County and Pittsburgh region.
Here is an example of a Cleveland entity that will be welcomed by many Pittsburghers. Rumors have been buzzing for awhile now. We'll see what happens:
West Penn Allegheny Health System seeks financial advice from Cleveland Clinic | Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Great read! Would be great to see some sort of CLE-Pitt alliance in any regard, but especially with our medical communities.

The representative we had breakfast with at the Fairmont in Pittsburgh came up with the great idea of providing a list of 10 things for Pittsburghers to do in Cleveland through Visit Pittsburgh and vice verse at Positively Cleveland. I'm going to try contacting the folks I know in both of those organizations and see what they think.

The possibilities are endless for both of our great cities if we start to work together more!

P.S. As a thanks to the kindness many Pittsburghers showed us over the weekend, I'd be more than happy to show off Cleveland to any and all travelers. I'll be moving downtown to Welcome | The Residences at 668 - Apartments in Cleveland within the next couple of months.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
other than cleveland, there aren't any cities anywhere near pittsburgh. cleveland, on the other hand, has many more cities within a couple of hours. being so isolated, pittsburgh may want to position itself as a standalone destination, perhaps.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
other than cleveland, there aren't any cities anywhere near pittsburgh. cleveland, on the other hand, has many more cities within a couple of hours. being so isolated, pittsburgh may want to position itself as a standalone destination, perhaps.
Pittsburgh has the same cities within a couple of hours that Cleveland does, except for Toledo. Akron, Canton and Youngstown are all right in that proposed "Cleveburgh" region. Obviously one thinks of those cities as "Cleveland's" cities, because they're in Ohio, but I think it's time we look past state lines.

Both Cleveland and Pittsburgh have suffered population loses. It's seems to me that more people will be likely to relocate to either Cleveland, Pittsburgh or somewhere in between if the region is more successful. For instance, I see being 2 and a half hours away from Pittsburgh as a benefit to living in Cleveland. If Pittsburgh weren't a great place to visit, than Cleveland would lose a positive. Conversely, a successful "Cleveburgh" would mean cities that are struggling even more (Akron, Canton, Youngstown) would improve, thus improving the quality of life in the region. Being close to those cities would become a "plus" for relocating to Pittsburgh.

If Pittsburgh isolates itself simply because the cities nearby happen to be in Ohio territory, I think that hurts its case in convincing folks to relocate, not to mention garnering tourism from those nearby cities. Pittsburgh (nor Cleveland for that matter) isn't big enough to justify isolating itself, like a New York City or Chicago. And I personally chose not to live in those cities because they are isolated.

Those are just my thoughts. Also it's worth mentioning that some of West Virginia fell into the "Cleveburgh" map drawn out by the original author.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM

264 posts, read 492,532 times
I also think Erie should be considered a part of the "Cleveburgh" idea.

I think such an alliance would only help our two cities as well as the many smaller ones in between. It could also help bolster our cause for a high-speed rail line linking us to Cleveland and points beyond. HSR would be a great asset to places like Steubenville or Canton, essentially turning them into commuter suburbs for both cities.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Please call it something other than Cleveburgh!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEJoe View Post
Pittsburgh has the same cities within a couple of hours that Cleveland does, except for Toledo. Akron, Canton and Youngstown are all right in that proposed "Cleveburgh" region. Obviously one thinks of those cities as "Cleveland's" cities, because they're in Ohio, but I think it's time we look past state lines.
Within 3 hours, Cleveland has Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Detroit, three top tier metro areas. Plus there are secondary metro areas like Toledo, Akron, Youngstown, Canton, etc.

Pittsburgh has one top tier metro in the same radius - Cleveland.

Just additional pepper for the discussion, I'm not saying the Cleveburgh is a bad idea.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM

WestLibertyAve - I'm down with Erie! I'd also be a supporter of HSR (or any rail for the time being, for that matter) linking the cities. My dream scenario for Cleveland is HSR rail from Chicago, to Cleveland, splitting off there with one route going through Erie, Buffalo to Toronto and the other going south through Akron/Canton, Youngstown to Pittsburgh, Philly and New York City.

Although not the dream, the MegaBus route recently added between Cleveland, Akron and Pittsburgh is great. I hope Pittsburghers use it to come up here as I just did to visit the 'Burgh!

Rail would, indeed, make those cities commuter suburbs. We really need to look past state lines, as many people who work in NYC have. How many folks live in Connecticut and Jersey, but work in NYC? The same thing can happen with our region.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Speaking of looking past state lines, many of Ohio's universities offer Ohio state resident tuition rates to western Pennsylvanians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh