Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Economy? Weather? Looks fairly affordable for a northern city. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 PM

236 posts, read 595,465 times
Weather: snows a bunch between December and March, sucks to drive with all the hills all over the city. At times, it can rain, snow, be windy and sunny all in the same day.

Economy: sucks just like elsewhere but the cost of living is very affordable which is about the only plus of living here. Everything else revolves around the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins which is a pretty pathetic way to live. Been living here for 8 years, can't wait to move back down south VA or NC in a year or two.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
Weather: snows a bunch between December and March, sucks to drive with all the hills all over the city. At times, it can rain, snow, be windy and sunny all in the same day.

Economy: sucks just like elsewhere but the cost of living is very affordable which is about the only plus of living here. Everything else revolves around the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins which is a pretty pathetic way to live. Been living here for 8 years, can't wait to move back down south VA or NC in a year or two.
The weather isn't bad. Lots of cloudy and rainy days. Humidity can be uncomfortable.

I would use two words to describe the economy. Limited and inbred. Whats limited about the economy is there are a lot of dead end jobs in pittsburgh. Also the wages are much lower than cities its size and cost of living. The inbred economy is that the most educated, qualified and progressive people dont typically get the job. Lots of jobs only have the requirement to know somebody, know a friend of a friend or have some family connection to the job you are applying for. It is is a city made up of mainly white babyboomers that are conservative and hate change. They will sit in their job until they cannot get up in the morning. Then you have the educated college students that up and leave after school. 30 and 40 somethings are in the minority because there is a lack of economic opportunity here.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Yikes. Thanks guys. I was thinking about moving up there from Texas. I've been reading that Pittsburgh was the opposite of many of the declining Northern cities. Looks beautiful, with a lot of great neighborhoods and again, seems to have a diverse economy.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM

147 posts, read 292,896 times
I don't think this is a very fair portrayal of Pittsburgh's economy. I'm not a resident yet (relocating next month), but those two posters definitely made things seem much worse than you'll hear from the majority of the regular posters here. FWIW, unemployment in the Pittsburgh metro is lower than the national average, and while wages are indeed lower than most major metropolitan areas, housing costs (especially if you buy) are significantly lower than most major metropolitan areas, so it sort of offsets, despite what I understand to be a little bit of recent appreciation in the market.

Pittsburgh is most definitely a beautiful city. The views from Grandview Ave. in Mount Washington can't be beaten, nor can the view coming in from the Fort Pitt Tunnel, especially at night. Lots of great neighborhoods to explore, and lots of friendly people too, at least from my experiences visiting.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P. View Post
I don't think this is a very fair portrayal of Pittsburgh's economy. I'm not a resident yet (relocating next month), but those two posters definitely made things seem much worse than you'll hear from the majority of the regular posters here. FWIW, unemployment in the Pittsburgh metro is lower than the national average, and while wages are indeed lower than most major metropolitan areas, housing costs (especially if you buy) are significantly lower than most major metropolitan areas, so it sort of offsets, despite what I understand to be a little bit of recent appreciation in the market.

Pittsburgh is most definitely a beautiful city. The views from Grandview Ave. in Mount Washington can't be beaten, nor can the view coming in from the Fort Pitt Tunnel, especially at night. Lots of great neighborhoods to explore, and lots of friendly people too, at least from my experiences visiting.
Great. Are you moving with kids, etc?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
People tend to voice their dissatisfaction online more than those who are content and ir happy. You need to read all and then determine how it is according to you. I myself enjoy Pittsburgh as is and yet find myself trying to adapt to urban or at lesst soon to be, urban living vs my suburban life.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P. View Post

As a young professional I gave my best assessment to the poster. I too came in with rose colored glasses. Asking myself back then how could anybody leave this city? It does show well, but the culture is status quo with no change and is very political. There was a poster in another thread that described the city as one where "they recognize the need to grow the city, but the people here want to continue the status quo of how things are done." Good luck trying to start your own business or come here pushing new ideas. The old dogs that run the show love to gang up on and rip people like that to shreds.

Pittsburgh metro is lower than the national average, because people aren't beating down the door to come here. Plus, gasoline, food, and utilities cost the same everywhere.

I hope both of you can make it work here. Just remember you were warned. In five years you most likely will be writing the same post to somebody else.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:16 AM

51 posts, read 74,174 times
There is a few differences between living in TX and PA. Taxes are definitely higher and i am thinking there is still vehicle inspections "you cant run a car with bailing wire holding it together.. I used to live outside of Pittsburgh and I have not been back since 1990. And I want to move back but I am a little nervous about it all.Fixing my house to go up for sale to move up to a place where I got to find new Dr's and deal with my family that has not seen me since the 90s .They have no idea how disabled I am now.. It is life it is all a gamble sometimes you win sometimes you lose.. Do I think you would like it in PA yes I do it has many things to offer. I always enjoyed my time in PA.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
The weather isn't bad. Lots of cloudy and rainy days. Humidity can be uncomfortable.

I would use two words to describe the economy. Limited and inbred. Whats limited about the economy is there are a lot of dead end jobs in pittsburgh. Also the wages are much lower than cities its size and cost of living. The inbred economy is that the most educated, qualified and progressive people dont typically get the job. Lots of jobs only have the requirement to know somebody, know a friend of a friend or have some family connection to the job you are applying for. It is is a city made up of mainly white babyboomers that are conservative and hate change. They will sit in their job until they cannot get up in the morning. Then you have the educated college students that up and leave after school. 30 and 40 somethings are in the minority because there is a lack of economic opportunity here.
This is a rather outdated view. Do you ever go to Downtown on a workday? I've never seen so many people down there on a normal workday in the 20's and 30's as I do now. The anti change mentality is clearly going away if the county elected Fitzgerald and the city elected Peduto in the primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh