Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM

101 posts, read 218,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Everyone keeps saying Cleveburgh, Cleveburgh - But Pittsburgh and Cleveland Ebb and Flow goes in 2 totally different directions. Pittsburgh aligns itself more with the East Coast Cities and Cleveland with the Midwest, and Pittsburgh and Cleveland alone have no relationship together.
I've got to disagree.

Most business I know actually do more business with Cleveland than any East Coast City.

Quote:
It's like the PA/OH Border is the Berlin Wall.
Again I've got to disagree. It's the Eastern Tunnels in the center of the state that seems to be the line. People from Pittsburgh would rather take the 2 hour straight line turnpike hop to Cleveland than go through the moutains and tunnels any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
But for Pittsburgh to take full advantage of all its neighboring cities..Is it need to become a Hub city of travel again, because of its location, not population...Pittsburgh is one of the best locations for a Hub. Instead of being Isolated with Megaoplises on both sides, Pittsburgh should be the bridge that brings both regions together.

If Pittsburgh had HSR coming from Philly, NYC and DC from the east, and Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit / St Louis, Indy, Cincy, and Columbus from the Midwest, Oh the possiblities. The fact you could be in either NYC or Chicago in 5 hours or DC in 3 would be very selling to businesses..
If there is HSR, Pittsburgh has an ok position. DC and Philly traffic going west would most logically go through Pittsburgh. From Pittsburgh, it would have to be Cleveland as that leads to Chicago. I would have said Detroit too, but right now, who wants to go to Detroit? Another important route is Columbus which would connect to Cincinnati etc.

For roads, I think route 28 should be extended from Kittanning as an expressway all the way up to I-80. That should have some economic benefit for the Allegheny valley as well as give Pittsburgh a better connection to the northeast, especially New York. Not to mention, more west going traffic along I-80 might go through Pittsburgh.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Ignorance. Philadelphia and Baltimore can stand on their own two feet without help from New York or Washington DC. If they couldn't, then they both would have been backwaters 50 years ago.
Sure, but NYC and DC have diminished their importance. NYC and DC have the spotlight while Philly and Baltimore are pushed aside. No one cares what happens in Philly and Baltimore.

Quote:
And yet, the Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg. Atlanta needs to support more than just the Braves and SEC football if it wants to be international.
Eh, and LA loses a football team. Hockey is associated with cold weather and besides, there is some evidence that the reason the Thrashers left was poor management. It wouldn't surprise me if hockey returns to Atlanta.

Quote:
By the way, the largest media company in the world is headquartered in Philadelphia.
The are not international. And google "I hate comcast". Philly companies are as bad as Cleveland companies.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Georgia has been trying to move that border since the 1890s with no success. If you ever got to the Supreme Court, odds are it would ratify the current border, as it has done in similar disputes in the past.

The more fundamental problem is that Atlanta is sitting very high up in its drainage basin, and it is very hard to move large amounts of water up hill. Toss in some climate change, and it may end up facing serious physical constraints that no amount of clever lawyering can overcome.
We'll see. Maybe Georgia might manage to settle with just the water access. That's all it really wants anyway.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Quote:
Everyone keeps saying Cleveburgh, Cleveburgh - But Pittsburgh and Cleveland Ebb and Flow goes in 2 totally different directions. Pittsburgh aligns itself more with the East Coast Cities and Cleveland with the Midwest, and Pittsburgh and Cleveland alone have no relationship together.

It's like the PA/OH Border is the Berlin Wall. The Time zone should've been set right on the PA border with Pittsburgh in the Eastern and Cleveland in the Central would be a perfect example of just how different in direction these 2 cities go, it's very unique that 2 cities can be so close but go in totally opposite directions from each other.
As someone who grew up near the OH/PA border I will have to disagree with this.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Eh, and LA loses a football team. Hockey is associated with cold weather and besides, there is some evidence that the reason the Thrashers left was poor management. It wouldn't surprise me if hockey returns to Atlanta.
Atlanta also lost the Flames a few decades ago. I don't think the NHL will be returning to Atlanta for a long time...

Quote:
The are not international. And google "I hate comcast". Philly companies are as bad as Cleveland companies.
What do you mean by "bad"?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Atlanta also lost the Flames a few decades ago. I don't think the NHL will be returning to Atlanta for a long time...
With Atlanta's size and market, all will be forgiven and a hockey team will return.

Quote:
What do you mean by "bad"?
Like "Progressive".

Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
We'll see. Maybe Georgia might manage to settle with just the water access. That's all it really wants anyway.
That is all it has ever wanted, and not gotten for over 100 years.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
This is getting a little long in the tooth, but here are Pittsburgh's Top 30 most connected other cities according to a 2005 Brookings report:

1 Washington, D.C.
2 Cleveland
3 Dallas
4 Philadelphia
5 St. Louis
6 Charlotte
7 Boston
8 Minneapolis
9 Indianapolis
10 Kansas City
11 Denver
12 Atlanta
13 Seattle
14 Detroit
15 New York
16 Chicago
17 Los Angeles
18 San Francisco
19 San Diego
20 Portland
21 Rotterdam
22 Houston
23 Stockholm
24 Brisbane
25 Riyadh
26 Perth
27 Vancouver
28 Rio de Janeiro
29 Miami
30 Adelaide

It is really a pretty consistent mix of Northeast, Midwest, and other.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:

It's like the PA/OH Border is the Berlin Wall. The Time zone should've been set right on the PA border with Pittsburgh in the Eastern and Cleveland in the Central would be a perfect example of just how different in direction these 2 cities go, it's very unique that 2 cities can be so close but go in totally opposite directions from each other.

But for Pittsburgh to take full advantage of all its neighboring cities..Is it need to become a Hub city of travel again, because of its location, not population...Pittsburgh is one of the best locations for a Hub. Instead of being Isolated with Megaoplises on both sides, Pittsburgh should be the bridge that brings both regions together.

If Pittsburgh had HSR coming from Philly, NYC and DC from the east, and Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit / St Louis, Indy, Cincy, and Columbus from the Midwest, Oh the possiblities. The fact you could be in either NYC or Chicago in 5 hours or DC in 3 would be very selling to businesses..
I agree Pittsburgh thinks and travels east much more than west. I was just in Cleveland a few days ago and I saw more license plates from Illinois, Missouri, and Wisconsin than I did Pennsylvania even though we are much closer to Cleveland than any of those states. I can just feel a difference between Ohio and PA and it seems the change from hills to flat land is nearly instant at the border. Most of the out of state plates here on the other hand besides Ohio seem to be New York, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia. I also agree with others that Ohio needs the Pittsburgh area more than we need them by the amount of people from Ohio who commute to the state, but I don't know anyone who commutes from here to Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh