Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times

Advertisements

As an longtime Upper St. Clair resident, I can safely say that USC is NOT the "wealthiest area in Pittsburgh." That honor has to go to Fox Chapel, or perhaps Sewickley Heights.
Also, Mt.Lebanon is not surrounded by shaky, downtrodden communities!Unless you consider USC, Bethel Park, and Scott Twp. downtrodden. Yes, Dormont and Castle Shannon may have some issues, but they are far from going downhill, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 PM

472 posts, read 626,560 times
"Also, where is Polish Hill, exactly? I always thought we were part of the East End, but nobody ever includes us when rattling off the East End neighborhoods. We're certainly NOT part of the Hill District, and we're not part of Downtown. The last I checked we also weren't part of the West End, South Side, South Hills, North Side, or North Hills, either. Are we officially in the Twilight Zone, or do other East Enders prefer to NOT include us because we're such a poor neighborhood?[/quote]

Did you ever hear about the mysterious letters in Polish Hill! It's a really awesome story. Check it out. Mysterious Letters

Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Don't forget depressing Dormont. Maybe that's why the line's out the door at the DorStop on weekends. Cramming pancakes into one's face must keep the blues away.
I can see why there's a line. I just had to Google DorStop after reading this. Their food looks sooo good. I am definitely going to pay this place a visit next time I am in Pittsburgh. I especially want some of those pumpkin pancakes.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM

387 posts, read 408,458 times
The OP paints a different picture than what I see when walking around the 'Burgh. Sure there are going to be some problem areas but, overall it doesn't get any safer than this. Having lived in other cities and having visited friends in different areas sometimes you have to appreciate what you've got.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,494 times
The OP is totally absurd. I hope nobody looking for real info on the city listens to a word of it.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I wonder is this post is a product of a very eager new member tring to get a liltle recognition (noting wrong with that), a person who doesnt care about recognition, but typical ignorant Pittsburgher (noting wrong with that), or a very complex-minded Internet Troll??? Not tring to be pompous, but heck I'll beg to differ on some of the views of the OP's!

You're describing the East Side of Detriot and Southside of Chicago... Even though I try to paint a picture on how fierce our "hoods" are, I even understand that not too many male residents are hoodlums or females prostitudes. Though like the OP posted there is a bad riff-raff problem in some poor areas.
Gangs HERE are really sets, and they are made of 10-40 members on the streets. Example: In Homewood there are over 100 cripz, but they're divided by turf/region and DON'T get a long.
True in drug market of the Gang Affiliated East End/Hill District there may be around 20-60 "trap houses"= crack houses, but it ain't that bad compared to Compton!!! Here the gang leaders who were kingpins/notorious drug lords were only really around for the GANG WARS/CRACK EPIDEMIC of the 90's... Although, its probable that the most wealthy/highest paid source of income of young men in the rough hoods is "hustle money"... Thousands of $$$ goes through the hands of gang members via: hitmen style shootings, drug dealing/trafficking, pimpin', car jacking, robberies/burglaries/home invasions, gangsta rap, or dog/fights.

BTW, what on Earth do YOU call the "East Side"??? I think that you mean PARTS OF THE EAST END... Just wondering? Very true that: Garfield, East Liberty, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington, Homewood, and the East Hills are several deep-seeded gang neighborhoods in a row, but as mentioned Shadyside is there too. Have you forgot: Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, Highland Park, Bloomfield, Freindship, and Shiwshelm Park the safe, highly recommend neighborhoods in the area...
Agian, beg to differ on: the Hill Distrct is 360* differnt then Oakland... East Liberty is going through some major changes, and Garfield is no longer 90-100% slums either. Edgewood has no bad part and is differnt than Swissvale. Swissvale, can't be lumped with Wilkinsburg since it has a stable & a declining part, while Wilkinsburg has gang-ridden parts, improving parts, and stable parts...
The OP says "The Northside is pretty much middle-class" although, I think it's pretty diverse??? The Northview Heights/Allegheny Dwellings housing projects have a different class as the people from Summer Hill/Perry North/Brighton Heights... The people from: West Dutchtown/Allegheny West/Mexican War Streets/Lower Manchester/Fineview have it a litle different from people from: Upper Manchester/California-Kirkbride/Perry South/Marshall-Shadeland/Central Northside; and in turn they have it different then the people from: Spring Hill/Troy Hill/Spring Garden/East Dutchtown... Same thing with the West End... The people from Crafton/Ingram live in a different social economic-class from Fairywood/Esplen/McKees Rocks.
You pretty much nailed the Southside, but the suburbs that you mentioned don't seem to be as undesirable as you portrayed them as.

If any is wondering Here's a list of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas to avoid living in or traveling through because of gang related/drug related crime. *Note the main business streets/avenues are often safe*

Very, Very Bad! High element of deep seeded gang activity which is present to everyone in Pittsburgh. Gang violence plauges the community, and shapes the residents way of live, so innocent are more than fare game...
Best to avoid walking even during the day, NEVER TRAVEL ALONE OR IN A SMALL GROUP @ NIGHT [AVOID @ night even in a car]:
Homewood South
Homewood North (especially Molher Projects)
Homewood West
Terrace Village (especially Elmore Square & Bently Drive)
Bedford Dwellings (especially Chauncey Drive)
Middle Hill
East Hills [especially East Hills, Wilner & Park Hill Drive(s)]
Northview Heights
Larimer
Parts of Wilkinsburg, PA (Central Wilkinsburg= Franklin, Park Tringle, Hunter Park, the High school area, Hamlet Place, Princeton Park, Upper Central & Singer Place)
Most of Duquense, PA (south of train tracks/Parkview Estates)
Most of McKeesport, PA (central mainland area=west of Grandview Avenue)
Beltzhoover
Knoxville (especially Upper Knoxville)
Mt. Oliver, PA (Mt Oliver Borough)

Very bad! Avoid walking during day if possible... High elements of gang activity... Shapes local's way of life, so innocent are more than fare game... NEVER WALK OR IN A SMALL GROUP @ NIGHT:
Garfield (Broad Street and up)
Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar (especially Lower Lincoln)
Parts of Penn Hills, PA [west of Coal Hollow Road/Solter Townhomes/Leecburg Gardens & Hulton Arbors Apartment(s)]
Most of Hazelwood (south of Hazelwood & Flowers Avenues)
Most of Homestead, PA (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Part of Fineview (only Allegheny Dwellings Projects)
Most of Clairton, PA (east of 6th Street-east of Vankirk Alley/Soltis Drive Projects)
Part of West Mifflin, PA (only Monview Estates)
St Clair Vilage (what's left)
Arlington Heights (what's left)
Most of Arlington (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Allentown
Mt. Oliver (city neighborhood)
Crawford Roberts Hill (mainly Reed Roberts, but Crawford Square excluded)
Glen Hazel

Bad, yet not that bad in comparison... Elements of gang activity mainly present to residents [yet usually only effects the dealers and users]... NEVER WALK ALONE OR IN A SMALL GROUP @ night) :
Part of Manchester (Upper Manchester)
Californa-Kirkbride
Most of Perry South (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Most of Marshall-Shadeland (south of Young Park)
Parts of East Liberty (north of East Liberty Boulevard/Penn Plaza Apartments/housing projects)
Part of Swissvale, PA [south of McLure & Columbia Avenue(s)]
Part of North Braddock, PA (south of Braddock & Monongalhela Cemeteries)
Most of Carrick (west of Brownsville Road-north of Agnew Avenue)
Part of Sheraden (east of Sheraden park-west of Narcissus Avenue)
Part of Crafton Heights (only the Greenway Projects)
Fairywood (Emerald Gardens excluded)
Most of Braddock, PA (north of Braddock Avenue)
Rankin, PA (especially Hawkins Village)
Parts of McKees Rocks, PA (Third Street Park-Broadway Street area/housing projects)

Edgy... Lower elements of gang activity that typically effects the dealers and users involved... NEVER WALK ALONE @ night:
Most of Upper Larwanceville (south of 54th Street)
Part of South Oakland (south of the Boulevard of the Allies)
Part of Central Northside (north of Jacksonia Street)
Part of East Allegheny (only East Dutchtown)
Parts of North Versailles, PA (Crestas Terrace/Rolling Woods Drive, Cliffview Gardens, & Eastland Apartments)
Part of Baldwin, PA (only Leland Pointe Apartments)
Most of West Oakland (west of Robinson Street)
Smidgen of West Homestead, PA (area adjacent to Homestead)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my list of safe but not too safe neighborhoods.
What one would call "iffy"... Groups of D-boys & other unsavory characters patrol the area mainly @ night, [yet violence rarely occurs and often pertains to the dealers and users]. Don't travel alone at night!:
Part of Highland Park
Part of Elliot
Part of Mt. Washington
Part of Overbrook, PA
Chartiers City
Part of Spring Garden
Part of Brighton Heights
Part of Central Larwanceville
Blocks of North Craig Street, Oakland
Bars on the Southside (Southside Flats)
Part of Coraopolis, PA
Part of East Pittsburgh, PA
Part of Bluff
Part of Troy Hill

Declining white neighborhoods with notable "section 8 trash" =*note NOT all section 8 recipients/residents are trash, just the few unsavory people are!!!:
Glassport, PA
Part of Brentwood, PA
Sharpsburgh, PA
Part of Verona, PA
Most of Pitcairn, PA
Dravsburg, PA
Part of Munhall, PA
I thought the OP was just joking. But now looking at your list, there seems to be an enormous number of areas to be avoided.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Well, Uptown kid is hardly the voice of reason every time either. Many have disagreed with him. A bit exaggerated most likely. But even if not, keep this in mind:

There are over 100 named neighborhoods just in the city, and there are hundreds of municipalities in Allegheny County and bordering areas of surrounding counties. So the number of places listed, in the grand scheme of things, is actually still quite small.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:51 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,992 times
Uptown kid is also basing his writeups on hearsay and decade out of date experience.

Apparently there's a dozen different gangs that will KILL AND EAT YOU in every neighborhood according to him.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
What was posted by the two members ahead is true... Although Im the CLEAR CUT MOST INFORMED ABOUT CRIME/GANGS I sometimes don't realize on how crazy my post may seem... I'm a self-pointed overall crime expert when in comes on this liltle forum yet for as I said, "overall" so that leaves room for mistake... I know I have made incorrect gang references, exaggerated the safety in some neighborhoods, ect.., BUT for the most I'm right...
Sorry after rereading my post I even agree that I exaggerated (by ACCIDENT).

Here's a list of neighborhoods on the unsafe side that with personal judgement/standards could be avoided during the day, but NEVER should be frequented alone or in a pair at night... They are separated in severity.
Very, Very Bad! High element of deep seeded gang activity which is present to everyone in Pittsburgh.
Homewood South
Homewood North (especially Molher Projects)
Homewood West
Terrace Village (especially Elmore Square & Bently Drive)
Bedford Dwellings (especially Chauncey Drive)*
Middle Hill
Most of East Hills [mainly East Hills, Wilner & Park Hill Drive(s)]
Northview Heights
Larimer
Parts of Wilkinsburg, PA (Central Wilkinsburg= Franklin, Park Tringle, Hunter Park, the High School Area, Princeton Park,*Hamnett Place, Upper Central & Singer Place)
Most of Duquense, PA (south of train tracks/Parkview Estates)
Most of McKeesport, PA (central mainland area=west of Grandview Avenue)
Beltzhoover
Knoxville
Mt. Oliver, PA (Mt Oliver Borough)

Very bad! *High elements of gang activity...
Garfield (Broad Street and up)
Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar (especially Lower Lincoln)
Parts of Penn Hills, PA [west of Coal Hollow Road/Solter Townhomes/Leecburg Gardens & Hulton Arbors Apartment(s)]
Most of Hazelwood (south of Hazelwood and or Flowers Avenues)
Most of Homestead, PA (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Part of Fineview (only Allegheny Dwellings Projects)
Most of Clairton, PA (east of 6th Street-east of Vankirk Alley/housing projects)
Part of West Mifflin, PA (only Monview Estates)
Most of Arlington (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Allentown
Arlington Heights (what's left)
St. Clair Vilage (what's left)
Mt. Oliver*
Crawford Roberts Hill (mainly Reed Roberts Manor, but Crawford Square excluded)
Glen Hazel

Bad, yet not that bad in comparison... Elements of gang activity mainly present to residents [yet usually only effects the dealers and users]:
Part of Manchester (Upper Manchester)
Most of Perry South (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Californa-Kirkbride
Most of Marshall-Shadeland (south of Young Park)
Part of Spring Hill (only the housing projects)
Part of Sheraden (east of Sheraden park-west of Narcissus Avenue)
Part of Crafton Heights (only the Greenway Projects)
Fairywood (Emerald Gardens excluded)
Parts of East Liberty (north of East Liberty Boulevard/Penn Plaza Apartments/housing projects)*
Most of Carrick (west of Brownsville Road-north of Agnew Avenue)
Part of Swissvale, PA [south of Florence & Columbia Avenue(s)]
Part of North Braddock, PA (south of Braddock & Monongalhela Cemeteries)
Most of Braddock, PA (north of Braddock Avenue)
Rankin, PA (especially Hawkins Village)
Parts of McKees Rocks, PA (Third Street Park-Broadway Street area/housing projects)

Edgy... Lower elements of gang activity that typically effects the dealers and users involved.*
Most of Upper Larwanceville (south of 54th Street)
Part of South Oakland (south of the Boulevard of the Allies-east of Bates Street)
Part of Central Northside (north of Jacksonia Street)
Part of East Allegheny (only East Dutchtown)
Parts of North Versailles, PA (Crestas Terrace area/Rolling Woods Estates, Cliffview Gardens, & Eastland Apartments)
Part of East Pittsburgh, PA (only the housing projects)
Part of Baldwin, PA (only Leland Pointe Apartments)
Most of West Oakland (west of Robinson Street)
Smidgen of West Homestead, PA (area adjacent to Homestead)

If you have a question I'll be happy to answer it... If you want to corrected me I'm fine with that too... But if you think this list is trash, then go up to a hood wearing rival colors at night and see what will happen!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Where I'm at (South Pittsburgh), it stopped being about colors 12 -13 years ago. Most of the violence is strictly personal. These are people who know each other. Some of it is people from rival neighborhoods, but a lot is between rival cliques in the same neighborhoods, or violence aimed at people believed to have "snitched". A lot of the safety issues depend on your age. There are very few places where a 40 year old man would be unsafe walking during the day. Thugs usually aren't interested in bothering "old heads". They don't see us as a threat. It can be different if you are under 30. I wouldn't feel comfortable being in the worst areas if I were only 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh