Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 AM

19 posts, read 32,516 times

Advertisements

Hello..looking to relocate..

would like a small town out of the snow belt which is easy to get to basic stores like grocery, postoffice,hardware store.

no night life required..a sleepy town is fine as long as it is clean.

for retirement purposes.peacefull life..hikes and natural scenery within driving distance good.

thanks in advance
al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Brookville, PA. is a nice little town that is just south of the snowbelt. It is right on I80 so you can drive to other places easy enough. It is just south of Clear Creek and Cook Forest State Parks which would meet your hiking requirements. There are also hiking trails back at the Brookville Dam Park.

There is a Giant Eagle grocery store right near downtown, which is across from a Post Office and Hardware Store.

Brookville, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce - Home Page

Brookville Pa Community Website

http://psabdns4.com/brookvilleborough.org/hello-world/

You may have better luck putting this in the Pennsylvania forum, unless you are interested in the Pittsburgh area specifically.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:38 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONSE (whoops..shouting)

going to take a look at every link you posted..sounds greAt

will be back
al

Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM

hmm.. i tried editing my post and i do not think it showed up.

Brookville is JUST the kind of town we are looking for.

i am going to do a bit more exploring.
Thank you again for the info.

i chose the Pitts section because we wanted closer to Pitts than Philly.
sorry.. i should go back and take a better look.

oh one thing we were worried about is hydrofracking which seems to be the intent of many companies ..and they are moving into PA..Western Pa to be exact.

i hope Brookville is no where near where they plan to do this.
It destroys the streams and lakes and water tables..no mTter how they try to whitewash it..
that is from people with firsthand experience.

cheerio
thsnks again
al

Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Hello All, I just checked the real estate listings for Brookville, but not much was for sale! We would also like to retire next year so I check out every town I can and do plenty of research. Any info on the tax rates, medical care...general living info without kids. And the fracking issue in the NE is a concern for all. If a neighbor leases to the gas company, then your water can also be effected as I understand the issue.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Have you looked for a place closer to the Laurel Highlands? It might be closer to Pittsburgh than Brookville, but you'll still be close to some of the natural amenities like Ohiopyle and Linn Run plus the various winter activities in Seven Springs and Hidden Valley ski resorts, you'll still be relatively far from the snowbelt up north, although not to say that we do get a considerable bit of snow in the mountains each year, you could possibly live somewhere off the ridge and still live a relatively comfortable lifestyle. Some towns to consider would include Greensburg and Latrobe if you want a more suburban living but still be close to the mountains. Ligonier is also very nice with its very nice Mayberry-like downtown and gorgeous scenery of the ridge. All attractions are within a half hour to hour drive from the aforementioned places except Ligonier, which is only 20-30 minutes away.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Brookville is not out of the snowbelt, or if it is I hallucinated all the snow I shoveled growing up.

Realtors in Brookville tend to not post their listings on the internet so don't take that as an indication of few listings. A couple of them won't answer emails either unless they recognize the sender's name.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-25-2011 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: had to correct a word

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
I think it is an impossibility to live in PA and not be in the snow belt. Winters in the Laurel Highlands can actually be pretty severe, enough to close down rt.40. If you hate snow, PA is not for you. Try the deep south instead. I don't think Mississippi gets much snow.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
What about a place like Springdale?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Brookville is just south of the snowbelt and gets less snow than the higher elevations of the laurel highlands. The snowbelt begins around Sigel and north. I have the better part of two decades of experience to support this.

That being said, if you are afraid of snow or changing seasons then I would avoid both locations - just buy a Cadillac and move to southern Florida like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh