Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

It's not the house or property, it's you. You're either sensitive to these things or you are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:09 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Its the houses built over those pesky indian burial grounds here that you really have to worry about

Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco'sMom View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply SIMB! Gosh, I wasn't even thinking about that when my mom just mentioned it... and then I started giving it some thought.

I am seriously terrified of incidents like that when I went to south Mexico, to this city called Guanajuato that the original city was buried and reconstructed on top of it.. We were leaving the city and stayed in one of these road hotels in the middle of nowhere. The taxi guys was picking us up at 5 am. Well, at 2am I wake up and see the TV on then turned to my boyfriend (now husband) and thought..'he must have left it on and fell asleep..' Then I woke him up and asked him to turn it off. He was on his way when the thing turned off by itself. O-M-G I almost had a nervous breakdown lol! Happened to be that it was the last week of October... I just wanted to fly home! Well, to not make it longer... I was on the plane and asked him: 'what were you watching that you left it on?' then he said 'I never turned it on in the first place'. I went pale (he said), I felt my blood going to my feet.. and luckily managed to vomit in the airplane bag..

Yes... that bad I am with any ghostly things.. that is why I ask!! But on the other hand I don't believe a Priest, Pastor or Saint could do anything... I, however, really want to move to PA.
My mom died last year, and soon after our home theatre system started turning itself on at night. I'd wake up in the night hearing the Venture Brothers intro music over and over....

It did it for several nights -- then stopped. Then on occasion would do it again.

Then -- last week -- it went completely flippy, and turned on and off, and opened and closed the dvd changer -- always with the Venture Brothers (different season!)...

Now -- first -- my mom had never heard of the Venture Brothers... and if she had, she certainly would not have approved of them. Especially, because when this started, the season we had loaded up was NOT censored at all, and was dirty... and second -- she had no idea how to work our home theatre system. I don't think she would divinely figure it out after she died -- wouldn't she have far more things to do up there?

So, do you think it was far more likely that a heavily used piece of equipment just had mechanical problems -- or is it my mother trying to tell me something?

I'm not saying there are no ghosts -- but I will say that I'd bet your experience was electrical, not spiritual.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Its the houses built over those pesky indian burial grounds here that you really have to worry about
Yes, definitely. Indian burial grounds just aren't well documented. It would save us and the disturbed spirits a lot of aggregation if we knew where all of them were.

But there is paranormal activity in Pittsburgh.

Ghosts of Pittsburgh - Ghost Stories & Tours - Haunted Places in Western Pennsylvania

I didn't know that the National Aviary was built on former Civil War prison. Guess that's why the birds always appear so stressed each morning.

But not to worry. There are those in Pittsburgh prepared to believe you.

PPS Home

The Pittsburgh Paranormal Society. Yeah, Pittsburgh's got everything.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Quote:
Hi!

We are relocating from California next summer but before we want to buy a house in Pittsburgh. The only thing for me.. being a native Californian (living in a city where almost all of the buildings are new..) I want to avoid buying a house with ghosts or paranormal activity. Is there much of this activity in Pittsburgh? Are there particular neighborhoods known for this?

I have to say I am not an skeptic... but I rather not have an experience that changes my mind!

Any info on this would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
I can tell you're from the West Coast!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I've lived in three old houses (built in 1913, 1890s, and 1908, respectively) and I have not encountered any hauntings or ghosts. I wouldn't be worried. I imagine paranormal activity in older houses must be quite rare, otherwise the whole city would be haunted!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I didn't know that the National Aviary was built on former Civil War prison. Guess that's why the birds always appear so stressed each morning.
Pretty much everything in Pittsburgh was built on the site of something much older, wars, Indian burial grounds, who knows what.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Pretty much everything in Pittsburgh was built on the site of something much older, wars, Indian burial grounds, who knows what.
Call in the Pittsburgh Paranormal Society and they'll be able to tell you. Some spirits like to be just spectators and watch. Kinda creepy of them if you ask me!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 PM

222 posts, read 439,240 times
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply SIMB! Gosh, I wasn't even thinking about that when my mom just mentioned it... and then I started giving it some thought.

I am seriously terrified of incidents like that when I went to south Mexico, to this city called Guanajuato that the original city was buried and reconstructed on top of it.. We were leaving the city and stayed in one of these road hotels in the middle of nowhere. The taxi guys was picking us up at 5 am. Well, at 2am I wake up and see the TV on then turned to my boyfriend (now husband) and thought..'he must have left it on and fell asleep..' Then I woke him up and asked him to turn it off. He was on his way when the thing turned off by itself. O-M-G I almost had a nervous breakdown lol! Happened to be that it was the last week of October... I just wanted to fly home! Well, to not make it longer... I was on the plane and asked him: 'what were you watching that you left it on?' then he said 'I never turned it on in the first place'. I went pale (he said), I felt my blood going to my feet.. and luckily managed to vomit in the airplane bag..

Yes... that bad I am with any ghostly things.. that is why I ask!! But on the other hand I don't believe a Priest, Pastor or Saint could do anything... I, however, really want to move to PA.
My ancestors originated from Guanajuato in the town of San Francisco del Rincon. I always wanted to go there to visit

Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
Live in reality with the rest of us and you won't have any paranormal issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh