Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times

Advertisements

I would add that the North Side neighborhoods seem to be somewhat under served. I see that the South Hills is also excluded, but I'm assuming that you're taking credit for the current T lines.

Also, while on the subject of commuter rail, I would suggest a line that ran through the northern suburbs, that would be accessible to residents in areas such as Bellevue, West View, Ross Township, McCandless, and perhaps Wexford. A lot of commuters coming from that direction.

In general, though, I think it's a nice start, and I like the idea of the Loop combined with something close to what the Spine Line may have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
What is to be mainly avoided is what I see as the main failing with the current 'T' system, that of it having so many stops & thus goes so slow, that it takes nearly as long to get to the city as does driving at rush hour & much longer at other hours.
If it's a fantasy why not add an extra set of tracks to be used by express trains that could bypass some stops at certain times.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Also, I doubt the Schenley station could get enough traffic to be justifiable. Other stops aren't that much further. I'd have the grenn line diverge from the red at North Oakland.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
Also, I doubt the Schenley station could get enough traffic to be justifiable. Other stops aren't that much further. I'd have the grenn line diverge from the red at North Oakland.
Yea, good point......North Oakland could be a large junction station with transfers available to all the lines. Duly edited & updated

Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
A friend of mine who is a consultant for transportation systems asked this evening that if Pittsburgh had virtually unlimited funds & was able to build a full service subway system what should it look like. I came up with this messing around: Pittsburgh Fantasy Subway System - Google Maps as a quick draft - any suggestions, critiques or otherwise are appreciated before I send it off to him to rip apart. Thanks

I like it! The Blue Loop would immediately become one of the heaviest used corridors in the U.S., there is no doubt in my mind.

In fact, it would be a crime if a loop like that line wasn't at least on a drawing board somewhere just waiting for the right time, money and interest to come into being.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
the whole endeaver was basically trying to provide at least somewhat convenient access to most areas of the city while at the same time having as few stops as possible so that the train could get from one end of the city to the other as quickly as possible
That makes sense, and seeing the new map it occurred to me your way has a much more direct connection roughly N-S from Lawrencville/Bloomfield down to Oakland/South-Side. So I think it looks good! In fact now I might even bend the blue line back west one more stop (to North Oakland).

Old 10-06-2011, 10:23 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I would add that the North Side neighborhoods seem to be somewhat under served.
I agree . . . I'd at least suggest sending the red line over to Manchester for its termination, maybe with a stop in between.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Thanks, I took most of your suggestions into account & did some reworking. Shadyside can be a junction. I didn't however want to run the blue line all the way out to East Liberty as I think the Red Line services it enough.....the whole endeaver was basically trying to provide at least somewhat convenient access to most areas of the city while at the same time having as few stops as possible so that the train could get from one end of the city to the other as quickly as possible
I've long thought the intersection of Centre and Negley and Baum would make a great subway stop (didn't know others thought in these terms).

Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree . . . I'd at least suggest sending the red line over to Manchester for its termination, maybe with a stop in between.
That goes mainly to my ignorance of the northside apart from the northshore & mexican war street areas as I havent explored the northside that much.... I am afterall seperated from there by not 1, but 2 rivers n'at
To Manchester it is.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
That goes mainly to my ignorance of the northside apart from the northshore & mexican war street areas as I havent explored the northside that much.... I am afterall seperated from there by not 1, but 2 rivers n'at
To Manchester it is.

West End Bridge cuts your river exposure in 1/2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh