Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

None of you have seen unbridled football obsession until you've spent time in an SEC college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:40 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Tiger Beer, there's only 2 college teams in PA, Penn State and Pitt.
There are 3, Pitt, PSU, and Temple.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:42 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
There are 3, Pitt, PSU, and Temple.

Ok Temple. I've been in MD almost 30 years so I missed that.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Do you guys think that the in-your-face, year-round Steelers culture helps or hinders the region? Personally, I watch the games and all....but when I lived in Pittsburgh, I really couldn't relate to how over-the-top the people went with it. Everything seemed to have a Steelers theme tied into it somehow, and I found it annoying and tacky.

I've always been a Steelers fan and a Pirates fanatic, however I never felt the need to decorate my home and body with Bucs paraphernalia. People who do that with the Steelers give me the impression that they're filling some sort of massive void in their lives with it. It's just something that I always found aggravating about the region, and was curious if anyone felt the same way I did about it.
I can understand how you feel. I live in San Jose now and I enjoy following the Steelers and Pirates here... and in some ways, I enjoy following the Steelers here more than when I was in Pittsburgh.

Love Pittsburgh, but, I definitely wasn't into it as much as many folks back home.

Having said that... "Here we go Steelers", "Beat 'em Bucs", and "Let's go Pens!"

Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Steelermania is the direct result of a 40 year stretch of consistently winning football. During that time, the Steelers have lost more than 10 games only once (5-11 in 1988). The worst stretch was between 1985, and 1991, where they had one playoff appearance, but other than 1988, they were more mediocre than dreadful, and never has there been a season where expectations were so low, that they weren't considered at least a darkhorse for the playoffs. Only the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Celtics, Yankees, and Lakers have had this kind of success over such an extended period. The fact that this came immediately after a 40 year stretch as one of the worst run franchises in American professional sports made it all the sweeter, and contributed to the passion of the fan base. Six championships, and 25 playoff appearances in the last 39 seasons.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:27 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
"One For The Thumb In 81".

Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
None of you have seen unbridled football obsession until you've spent time in an SEC college town.
I agree. Football is like a religion, especially in places like Texas and Alabama.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:21 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Something about this needs to be said too. To some people, it's like you are some sort of alien from another planet and you have no common ground with them at all if you don't like football. I can't think of many other past times where people will look down upon if you don't partake in them. Can you imagine if someone said, "What, you don't collect stamps? What are you, some sort of fruit cake"?
Wait... you don't collect stamps?

Sorry we can't be friends.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:09 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Can you imagine if someone said, "What, you don't collect stamps? What are you, some sort of fruit cake"?
Ha ha, Nobody ever called me a fruitcake for not being a Steeler nut, but I've been heckled for working on Steeler Sunday. One time I was sealing a parking lot, and the guy in the house next door seriously felt bad for me and my employees....so he kept coming outside and updating us on what was happening. I finally relieved him of his self-imposed duty by telling him I was Tevoing the game.....which I wasn't.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
You took the words out of my mouth. As for the TV part, it isn't just during the games either. The local news coverage of the Black and Gold is really over the top. Especially with WPXI.
One good thing about this for non-football people is that the "other" network never shows their NFL game. If the Steelers are on CBS, Fox is showing a movie or re-runs. A lot of TV markets would have two games on at once. I've even seen times where only one game is on TV even when the Steelers aren't playing. Some Sundays we'll only have 3 games on TV, where most markets will have 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh