Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
???

When was "the times" for parking chairs?
Ask Chicago, where they still do it, but never even get half the **** for it that Pittsburgh does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's just such a selfish activity. I parked on the street all of last winter. I shoveled out a space for my own vehicle and multiple other spaces also to be a CONSIDERATE neighbor. I'm sorry, but if I'm delivering Thai food to your next-door neighbor just after a snow storm, and if you have "the chair" out, then I'm stopping, moving your chair onto the sidewalk, parking, delivering the food, and leaving. People don't "own" the street in front of their homes.
When I drove a 'beater' car, I would just push the chairs out of my way. Now, I just throw them in the yard they are near and park there.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
If you want to see how behind the times we are, look at Pittsburghers' hair, clothing, favorite music, smoking habits, littering habits, cars, shopping habits, etc.

I posted this in another thread, but did anyone see the movie "Love and Other Drugs"? It was filmed here and it took place in the 90's. All they had to do is change a few cars around and now we have a 90's period piece.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If you want to see how behind the times we are, look at Pittsburghers' hair, clothing, favorite music, smoking habits, littering habits, cars, shopping habits, etc.
I don't mind us being "behind the times" on any of that stuff. "THE CHAIR" is one of my largest pet peeves about living here, though, especially when people who already have driveways to park in "reserve" spaces in front of their homes (i.e. in the picture I posted).

Old 11-29-2011, 01:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
I'm with you on the rest (though I don't notice litter no matter where I am), but what shopping habits are singularly Pittsburghian?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't mind us being "behind the times" on any of that stuff. "THE CHAIR" is one of my largest pet peeves about living here, though, especially when people who already have driveways to park in "reserve" spaces in front of their homes (i.e. in the picture I posted).
I hate the chair too.

But to keep it on topic and to talk about how we're behind the times, a few months ago I watched the movie Two Evil Eyes with my fiance. It was filmed here in 1990 and there was a brief scene with a character downtown. As she was on the sidewalk a PAT bus drove by and it was the same exact bus (styling, appearance) that is still being used to this day! She had a good laugh over that (she's not from here).

Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'm with you on the rest (though I don't notice litter no matter where I am), but what shopping habits are singularly Pittsburghian?
Gian Iggle as your 1 and only source of nourishment at home.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
A few months ago I watched the movie Two Evil Eyes with my fiance. It was filmed here in 1990 and there was a brief scene with a character downtown. As she was on the sidewalk a PAT bus drove by and it was the same exact bus (styling, appearance) that is still being used to this day! She had a good laugh over that (she's not from here).
Really? They've replaced most of the buses they were using in 1999 (mostly white, with red and black detailing, vs. today's buses of many colors), so this kind of surprises me.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
This transportation aside, how else is Pgh behind the times?
As Carl had mentioned before, our culture has yet to discover things that are hip now. I can't tell you how many of my friends have no clue to who Arcade Fire are and they still drive around in Camaros drinking tea out of a carton blaring Boston while poofing thier mullets.

Quote:
I don't know if it's so much what we have as far as shopping habits, it's what we don't have. Look at Nordtrom's it took us how long to get one in our area? There are other stores that I hear about that we haven't gotten in our area yet. The same goes for restaraunt chains as well as certain cuisines.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Really? They've replaced most of the buses they were using in 1999 (mostly white, with red and black detailing, vs. today's buses of many colors), so this kind of surprises me.
It was one of those:

Let me see if I can grab a screenshot from the film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh