Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:52 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,905,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm not arguing that. Legal consequences of others actions are meaningless to the person who is bitten. I'm just saying that confronting a dog owner in any violent way is not wise for more than one reason. My dog is always on a lease and well behaved, but I also expect him to protect me. If some nut job comes up and punches me I hope the nut job gets bit.
Totally with ya there- I'm all about being non-confrontational, but if someone is being physically violent with you then I say bite away good doggy.

Most importantly is that your dog is well behaved and on a leash, (by that I mean a real leash, not a retractable- which is almost worse than no leash IMHO), so I'll back you up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
I am in a differant sate, N.D. but this is a topic that applies to me. I recently had a bad experience w/ a dog 2 doors down, jumping a makeshift portion of the owners fence, ( only 3ft high), running, aggressively barking straight to my back gate, and repeatedly leaping against my gate. I had been moving garden stuff, preparing for winter in my back yard. This dog, which is in residence 2 doors away, has been there for a few mths, brother-n-law living there now. Anyway, I have already observed this dog act aggressively even towards small children going into their yard to play. I have stood to watch and make sure the dog didn't do more than bark and not sure what I had planned if it got physical, but was prepared to defend if needed.
Anyway, so this dog was jumping and acting like he wanted to come over my gate, me yelling stop, go away...repeatedly, to no avail. My lil bulldog, on my side of fence telling him in doggie language to get the h-- away. I was afraid to turn away from gate to pick up something, because he kept trying to jump over my gate, which is 5 ft. high. It took a while before he finally retreated and jumped back into his neighboring yard, and he sat cowering next to his back door. He knew he did something wrong, I could tell. But, it really doesn't make me feel that he won't do that again. Well, now every time I have to come and go between my garage and back gate I am watchful and nervous. I did have the chance to call out to the owner of the house, who brother owns the dog. She happened out just couple hrs after the dog rushed my gate. Her first words were, oh, sorry, he is really a nice dog...Duh! And, how did he get out? Seriously, total disregard and total blase attitude. she ended w/ oh, it won't happen agin. All the while the dog is bounding around her. So, I wasn't very reassured to say the least. So, I contacted the neighbor next door, the house is between mine and the dogs house. She was nice enough to give me a phone number, so I called to speak to the Man that lives there, of course he wasn't home, but it did get the Brother to come over the next day while I was outside. He apologized, but it seems he is pretty condescending, asking me if his dog had seen my dog....which he hadn't,( my dog has been in that back yard often, and the dog never came over, besides she is about 18in tall, my fence is 5ft tall). offering to bring the dog over to meet me, which I explained, no thank you. Anyway, in my mind, it doesn't matter why the dog came over, the fact he thought his boundaries were so ranging, that he rushed me was my issue. I explained the dog's demeanor, was surprized that the dog is 7, and stated that he is well old to know better than. I see that they are making an effort, putting this 80 lb lab mix on a leash in their back....inadequate leash. And, now I get those looks from the lady and her sis-n-law. as they now walk both dogs (retriever that has always lived there, never aggressive even if she got out)Plus, they never fixed the fence. Not sure how/what will eventually happen. Read our local laws....seems you have to write a letter to city, bla bla. Meanwhile, it seem so unfair for ppl to not understand that just because their dog is nice to them, doesn't mean it is nice to others. And too see this dog leap that area, run thru a neighs yard, around a garage wall, and so fast, determined to get me, makes me very worried and stressed. Any suggestions?? And, some lady in our area maced a dog and faced charges last yr, so not sure what I can do to defend myself, or arm myself.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 AM

802 posts, read 1,322,080 times
Regardless of breed....no dog should be off leash. There's the potential for the dog running up and biting someone; running into the street and getting hit by a car or attacking another dog that is leashed.

I agree, some folks should not have a pet.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
I just saw a dog off leash downtown here. I kinda chuckled, though. The dog was like a teacup poodle or something, one of the smallest dogs I've ever seen in my life. He was walking with a walker (the owner, not the dog ), and I walked right next to the dog without incident. So he'll get some slack. But in general I tend to agree that dogs shouldn't be off leash except in designated areas or your own fenced backyard or whatever.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM

443 posts, read 601,089 times
When I ran Frick park I actually got more annoyed of the dogs on a leash than off leashes. The reason is I would be running down the trail and some jagoff would be on one end of the trail with their dog taking 15 feet away linked by a leash. Then you had to keep running and do a jump over the leash hoping you wouldn't trip up over it.

I say dogs should just be illegal all together. Less annoyance in life. Kids too.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I say dogs should just be illegal all together. Less annoyance in life. Kids too.
dogs > runners or kids

Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I just saw a dog off leash downtown here.
This just blows my mind

Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
This just blows my mind
I know, but the dog was about this big

|--------------------------------------------------------|

No really, I'm sitting at a 15" laptop computer. The dog was smaller than this screen in both height and length, I guarantee. Yeah, I know, still big enough to nip your leg. But the dog looked about as old as the owner and very slow, pretty harmless. Note that this wasn't out on the sidewalk with lots of people or anything. I had just walked out of the building here, and this guy I suspect is one of the residents upstairs (Gateway Towers). I passed him just outside in the back courtyard. I don't know how far he walked, I'm betting not very far since he was using a walker.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,697 times
Quote:
I know, but the dog was about this big

|--------------------------------------------------------|

No really, I'm sitting at a 15" laptop computer. The dog was smaller than this screen in both height and length, I guarantee.
I'm sure you are correct, but that's not even where my disgust lies. The fact that the dog is unleashed in a downtown area is so beyond ridiculous to me, for the dogs saftey and for people who are minding there own business and don't want the dogs attention. I'm not afraid of any of the dogs I encounter, I'm disgusted that people seem to think that everyone will want poopsie's attention and have no respect for someone's comfort zone while in public.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM

733 posts, read 987,788 times
Quote:
I just saw a dog off leash downtown here. I kinda chuckled, though. The dog was like a teacup poodle or something, one of the smallest dogs I've ever seen in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
This just blows my mind
The mental image is hilarious. I've also seen a guy walking around with a teeny tiny dog that he apparently trained to stick by him on foot. It's a funny sight.

Also, I love this thread title, "The Saga Continues," hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh