Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Actually things are pretty calm here after Pittsburfh teams win (or lose) championships which is something to feel good about compared to other cities.
maybe they're relatively calm but riots after the last few steelers superbowl victories caused hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage, people (mostly college kids in oakland) flipped cars, set fires, broke windows, smashed bus shelters, etc. certainly a lot worse and more widespread than this incident or anything else i've heard about anyone even vaguely associated with occupy doing in this city. yet somehow we don't hear the same kind of condemnation of these actions when they're not attached to a political cause. and we certainly don't hear sports fans as a whole being tarred with the same brush as a bunch of idiots who saw the opportunity to smash some stuff in the name of sports fandom.

Last edited by groar; 02-16-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
and we certainly don't hear sports fans as a whole being tarred with the same brush as a bunch of idiots who saw the opportunity to smash some stuff in the name of sports fandom.
Well..... to be honest.... maybe you don't hear those comments up there. Because Steelers fans are kind of sacred, so you don't talk trash about them in da Burgh. Away from Pittsburgh it's another story. Down where I live you'll hear a lot of sneers when sports fans (in any city) go crazy like that. I think a lot of people think the idiots who tear up a street after a game are just as bad as the idiots who did what happened today.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
maybe they're relatively calm but riots after the last few steelers superbowl victories caused hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage, people (mostly college kids in oakland) flipped cars, set fires, broke windows, smashed bus shelters, etc. certainly a lot worse and more widespread than this incident or anything else i've heard about occupy doing in this city. yet somehow we don't hear the same kind of condemnation of these actions when they're not attached to a political cause. and we certainly don't hear sports fans as a whole being tarred with the same brush as a bunch of idiots who saw the opportunity to smash some stuff in the name of sports fandom.
I agree to a point in that in no way should someone's actions be excusable because they are celebrating or lamenting the result of a sports game, I would contend however that the actions of the sports orientated rioters is (slightly) less concerning as the damage they are doing is a byproduct of the celebration whereas the other cases the damage to property is the sole goal and driving force.

Both groups should be treated harshly, the latter people should be more leary of.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times
I just walked through the area and saw the following evidence of "Occupy Everything"

1. A broken window at Kelly's (I don't know if that actually was broken last night)
2. A broken window at PNC bank (though Fifth Third was left alone)
3. Various leaflets of varying sizes lying soaking in the street
4. A discarded plastic spoon lying on the sidewalk in front of the Shadow Lounge.

I took two of the leaflets with me if anyone is curious to know the contents. I'm letting them dry right now.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well..... to be honest.... maybe you don't hear those comments because Steelers fans are kind of sacred up there. Down where I live you do hear those kinds of remarks when sports fans (in any city) go crazy like that. I think a lot of people think the idiots who tear up a street after a game are just as bad as the idiots who did what happened today.
maybe, but here is where we are and here is where these 2 things happened.

and i mean, i have a strong feeling if you took a look at the numbers of arrests during sports-related riots and the numbers of arrests during equally or less violent/destructive protests, the protest numbers would be exponentially higher. and that goes for anywhere - i am not originally from pittsburgh, and i am certainly aware of what's going on outside of pittsburgh, so it's not like i don't know what these things are like in other places.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM

461 posts, read 748,696 times
So it was property damage, but no physical harm to people? While I'd be angry as fire about someone damaging my stuff, I am glad that nobody was hurt, and think that guns would have simply escalated the violence. BUT - if someone is being threatened, I have no problem with the elimination of the threat.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I just walked through the area and saw the following evidence of "Occupy Everything"

1. A broken window at Kelly's (I don't know if that actually was broken last night)
2. A broken window at PNC bank (though Fifth Third was left alone)
3. Various leaflets of varying sizes lying soaking in the street
4. A discarded plastic spoon lying on the sidewalk in front of the Shadow Lounge.

I took two of the leaflets with me if anyone is curious to know the contents. I'm letting them dry right now.
please do post the leaflets, i'd be very interested to see what they say.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
So it was property damage, but no physical harm to people? While I'd be angry as fire about someone damaging my stuff, I am glad that nobody was hurt, and think that guns would have simply escalated the violence. BUT - if someone is being threatened, I have no problem with the elimination of the threat.
Well written! Three good sentences with three very good points.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
please do post the leaflets, i'd be very interested to see what they say.
Me too.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,762 times
I doubt that the owner (Justin Strong) of the shadow lounge would jeopardize his business for a group of *******s. There has to be more to this story. I take all news accounts with a grain of salt. I was just at the shadow lounge on Friday. The place was packed and not an occupy type in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh