Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I commute 500 miles a week. I really hope that it isn't the case when I move to Pittsburgh.
It won't be if you don't move to New Castle, Kittanning, Blairsville, Ligonier, Uniontown, Waynesburg or Steubenville and work in downtown Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 AM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Transplant Pittsburghers: Do you feel you drive less in Pittsburgh?

Also, where are you comparing it to?
Do you want an honest answer?

Absolutely!

I love to drive, and in other cities, I drive quite a lot, but whenever I'm out here, it's such a hassle to get anywhere, such a hassle to park, such a hassle to fight the hills, such a hassle to fight the narrow "interstates," and such a low payoff when I get to that other part of town, that I find I'm happier going home, closing the blinds and making it all go away.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Transplant Pittsburghers: Do you feel you drive less in Pittsburgh?

Also, where are you comparing it to?
Yes, by a longshot. We now drive about 7,000 miles a year on a shared car (which includes two or three road trips a year), and we used to do in the neighborhood of 12,000 on one car and 18,000 on another. In another couple of years we should be able to drop that to about 3,000.

We lived in what was considered one of the most walkable parts of the metro Atlanta area and it was still only so-so on that score. It's a lot easier for me to combine errands here. I was also doing some music work that required a fair bit of travel (I did weddings, cocktail parties, worked with choirs, etc.), mostly on the other side of town from where I lived, and I'm not doing that anymore.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Only zipcar spots I've seen are outside of Mallorca in Southside and a few up in Oakland on Forbes...thats it right?
There are some in the one pay lot in Squirrel Hill, on Centre Ave. in Shadyside, and on the Chatham & CMU campuses that I know of.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
I walk 1.1 miles to my workplace Downtown. I still drive for non-commuting purposes... as I love to explore the region.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
There are some in the one pay lot in Squirrel Hill, on Centre Ave. in Shadyside, and on the Chatham & CMU campuses that I know of.
Zipcar Pittsburgh - Zipcar is easier than Pittsburgh car rental and car ownership

Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM

270 posts, read 341,116 times
I drive so much less in Pittsburgh it's laughable. I came from L.A. though, so most places would lower my mileage compared to that.

I feel like wherever you are coming from, it's a matter of where you live vs. where you work, and what the traffic routes are like in between. In CA I commuted about 25 miles to work and had to traverse one of the busiest and most loathed freeways in the country (the 405) to do it- hence 2 hours in the car daily. Here I live in one suburb and work in a neighboring suburb, and my commute is about 6 miles (20 traffic-free minutes in the car daily). Most of the miles I put on my car here are due to travel for vacation purposes and to neighboring states where we have family. That's the flip side- Pgh is kind of isolated so getting "away" usually means a long car trip or a flight.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,258 times
I live in the city, and work in what some consider the boonies...Wilmerding.

Total weekly commute? Roughly 100mi give or take.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I commute 500 miles a week. I really hope that it isn't the case when I move to Pittsburgh.
Distance is a consideration, but so is traffic congestion. You could easily end up with an hour long drive just to go 10 miles (or even less) during rush hour.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,318 times
I drive more than I'd like to (30 miles per day on average), but I work in a Cranberry office park, which is virtually inaccessible without a car even if you live in Cranberry. I try to not use my car a whole lot outside of commuting to work though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh