Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed at how the Friendship area has come up in the last decade or so. I lived on S. Graham for almost all of the 90's and while I loved living there, it was definitely on the ragged edge of being a "transitional" neighborhood. Now when I go back there, it feels like a totally different place. And $185K may seem low to you but back in '90, we bought our six bedroom house in Friendship for $43K so you can see how far things have come since then.

Last edited by FreightTrainRunning; 03-27-2012 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 AM

56 posts, read 100,231 times
If it weren't for the schools, we would probably have jumped on a house in Friendship. (Although another thing against it was rentals galore - nothing against renters per say but I want families, playmates, stability... college students might make for baby sitters but not good playmates)

The Waldorf school mentioned is quite pricey. Catholic school isn't too pricey if you are Catholic (or fake it, as I suspect many do, for the schools). The Montessori school is a magnet and there may be some weight to living in the neighborhood, to get in, but I was really afraid of moving somewhere and hoping to get picked for a good school and then not.

We looked at some AWESOME houses there... we have a friend who lives there and LOVES it - but has no kids... the school thing made it a no go, though.

It is a gorgeous neighborhood, though - would love to know more of its history, what kind of people lived there way back when -houses are huge and fancy.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Nice to see all the love for Friendship. I will jump on the dog pile. Friendship is one of my favorite neighborhoods too, although, I just lump it in with Bloomfield.

Pittsburgh seems to have a new "neighborhood" every three and half streets, hahaha.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Pittsburgh seems to have a new "neighborhood" every three and half streets, hahaha.
You should stop by my current neighborhood, Allegheny West, sometime. Our entire neighborhood is only four blocks by two blocks wide.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
You should stop by my current neighborhood, Allegheny West, sometime. Our entire neighborhood is only four blocks by two blocks wide.
Haha, I just walked through there this morning! Oh wait, never mind, I went from Brighton to North Ave and then through the park, so I guess I missed Allegheny West. Point illustrated.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
The thread title makes me think of a Disney movie, and that everyone in this post is going to burst into song.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Although I love our location to Frick Park, we've spent some time recently in Bloomfield and it reminds me how much I would love living in Friendship and being able to walk to Bloomfield, Shadyside, and East Liberty (Sharper Edge).

Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerMama View Post
If it weren't for the schools, we would probably have jumped on a house in Friendship. (Although another thing against it was rentals galore - nothing against renters per say but I want families, playmates, stability... college students might make for baby sitters but not good playmates)

The Waldorf school mentioned is quite pricey. Catholic school isn't too pricey if you are Catholic (or fake it, as I suspect many do, for the schools). The Montessori school is a magnet and there may be some weight to living in the neighborhood, to get in, but I was really afraid of moving somewhere and hoping to get picked for a good school and then not.

We looked at some AWESOME houses there... we have a friend who lives there and LOVES it - but has no kids... the school thing made it a no go, though.

It is a gorgeous neighborhood, though - would love to know more of its history, what kind of people lived there way back when -houses are huge and fancy.

I think Yinzer nailed it. Some blocks have a lot of rentals. My mother grew up on South Graham Street so I have a soft spot for Friendship.
Some blocks are full of apartment buidings. The houses that are more modest have most likely returned to single family but the huge houses are still apartments in many cases.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM

56 posts, read 100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
There's no such thing as a rough area of Friendship. Directly on Penn is as close as it gets. No idea why such an elegant house sold so (relatively) cheaply. It's a very specific style, maybe there's fewer people into that style than you'd think?
I would have to disagree... with the caveat that my main knowledge of Friendship would be from my college years, late 90s. I do know people who rented there and had families on one side and crack houses on the other. And I know people who lived there and while nothing "bad" was going on on their block it was a definite college rental type of block. (I can't remember if they were on atlantic or pacific... but there is a 7-11 there, or was, and it was near that) Not what I would call family friendly. When we began house hunting again a year ago we looked at some houses over near the montessori school and it seems some families are moving in now - but one house we looked at was a family of kids who were leaving, and a friend who lives there now and doesn't have kids has a neighbor who does and is leaving... I feel like Friendship WANTS to become a family community again but it has a lot going against it. It's very much become a college rental area of town and I just don't see that changing. It's not exactly dangerous (not that I hear of much?) but it's not really family territory, either. Maybe that will change, maybe not. It just felt too much in flux, to us, to move there.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
Friendship is one of the city's nicer neighborhoods, although if your afriad of black people don't move there because it's very diverse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh