Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 03:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Okay, and they have the 3rd best record now and could easily regain the top record.

As to the Bucs, the team is going nowhere this year without help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:25 PM

706 posts, read 1,049,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Okay, and they have the 3rd best record now. Not sure why you're comparing the Brewers who have one of the top records to the Bucs lousy record.

This team is going nowhere this year without help.
The reason why is because it is too early to say who be in the driver's seat come late September. Will all of the above be true come then? Maybe. Then again maybe not. There is a long way to go. Since when are playoffs decided by Memorial day?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Okay, and they have the 3rd best record now and could easily regain the top record.

As to the Bucs, the team is going nowhere this year without help.
We need to make a move or two. That is true. I still feel that we have not found our stride with the guys that we have. Certain players need to step up, like Marte, Mercer, Alvarez other than the token home run, etc. If they don't, and pitching does not improve, we are in trouble. The pitching has a track record and the above mentioned players need to step it up to where they were last year. The potential is there.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:33 PM

In Jim Mora's famous words, "PLAYOFFS, YOU KIDDIN ME, PLAYOFFS?".

Anyone who doesn't look at this team through Yinzer goggles would know they're going nowhere without help and won't be sniffing the playoffs come September.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 PM

It is not Yinzerism. It stems from watching baseball for many years. I have seen too many teams rise from the ashes and vice versa. I know you are pretty young and probably only remember last year's winning team and have had too many bad memories from the twenty straight losing seasons. You have to realize that I go back to the days when Clemente was in right field. I have seen too much baseball to give up now and my mind is not clouded with only negativity(except for 2013) like you younger fans.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
In Jim Mora's famous words, "PLAYOFFS, YOU KIDDIN ME, PLAYOFFS?".

Anyone who doesn't look at this team through Yinzer goggles would know they're going nowhere without help and won't be sniffing the playoffs come September.
Since I don't qualify as a yinzer, I'll simply say maybe yes, maybe no.

No argument they dug themselves a hole. OTOH, the way the rest of the NL is going, they don't even have to play out the string as well as their winning % last year to get to 86 wins, which might get them the 2nd WC.

The math is doable. On paper, they have the talent if the underperformers start performing. If they can take a couple of road series soon and start inching their road record to .500, they'll be in it into September. If they stink on the next couple of road trips, then yeah, it's over.

Give it another 3-4 weeks before planning the funeral service.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
It is not Yinzerism. It stems from watching baseball for many years. I have seen too many teams rise from the ashes and vice versa. I know you are pretty young and probably only remember last year's winning team and have had too many bad memories from the twenty straight losing seasons. You have to realize that I go back to the days when Clemente was in right field. I have seen too much baseball to give up now and my mind is not clouded with only negativity(except for 2013) like you younger fans.
Been watching baseball/the Bucs for 35+ years. This team isn't going anywhere without some help.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:32 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
Quote:
Been watching baseball/the Bucs for 35+ years. This team isn't going anywhere without some help.
I think the only help they really need is improvement from Alvarez and McCutchen and more consistency out of Morton, Liriano, and Volquez. They also need Polanco to come up and contribute from day one. It's a lot to ask but well within the realm of possibility.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:44 PM

Time will tell. As they are right now, they're a .500 team.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
they are 4 and a half games behind st louis who most likely wins the division.
with 110 games left.

are there issues yup, just like every team but not going to throw in the towel and call it a season like most of the pirate fans i come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh