Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 10:52 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

The point is, they should have spent to improve the team. They didn't. They have the money. Payroll is not keeping up with revenue like Nutting said. If/when this team fails to make the playoffs, paying down the debt rather than paying for talent will be why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I dont see the 1 year of control as significant as Im not counting on a long term deal.
I'm not following the logic there. If you don't think Polanco will sign a long-term deal that includes FA years, then it should follow you'd want team control through 2020 instead of 2019, as would've been the case had Polanco started on Opening Day.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:28 PM

1 year in the grand scheme of things with this team is not a big deal. They need to win now. And its an assumption he gets signed. Bob's not one to open the purse strings. Unless Polanco comes up and falls on his face, Im pretty sure hes gonna want paid, and not Pirates paid, but MLB paid, and thats not how ownership operates. They needed to improve on last years success. They didn't and they are once again in the bottom of the league.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Had a great time yesterday at the game. Scalped a ticket close to the action. They serve Coke for $8.50, but you get free refills, got the unit cost down to $2.83.

Let's go Bucs!!!

I guarantee that they don't lose today!!!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Copa, those are great seats!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,886 times
I'd like to find someone to go to a bucs game before I leave town :/

Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,986 times
Loved the Grilli trade. Glad there are still sabermetrically challenged GMs that Neil Huntington can take advantage of.

I love the lineup right now and am optimistic about the rotation, at least as long as Locke's command is strong and Worley continues to prove his '14 campaign was a fluke. Hopefully some positive regression from Ernesto Frieri and some newfound confidence from Stolmy Pimentel can stabilize the bullpen.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Loved the Grilli trade. Glad there are still sabermetrically challenged GMs that Neil Huntington can take advantage of.

I love the lineup right now and am optimistic about the rotation, at least as long as Locke's command is strong and Worley continues to prove his '14 campaign was a fluke. Hopefully some positive regression from Ernesto Frieri and some newfound confidence from Stolmy Pimentel can stabilize the bullpen.
Not so much on that trade, yet.

They're certainly improved with Polanco's help but they need to beat the good teams with consistency. Can never have too much pitching. Bob needs to pay for some depth, too.

Looks like they're playing Pedro just enough to ween him off for a trade. Interesting how theyre placing him in the lineup and pinch-hitting for him. Also gonna be interesting to see if "Billionaire Bob" pays Walker.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 PM

706 posts, read 1,049,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Not so much on that trade, yet.

They're certainly improved with Polanco's help but they need to beat the good teams with consistency. Can never have too much pitching. Bob needs to pay for some depth, too.

Looks like they're playing Pedro just enough to seen him off for a trade. Gonna be interesting to see if "Billionaire Bob" pays Walker.
I hope that they do trade Pedro. Sure, he hit a homer last night, but is way too inconsistent and strikes out way too much and leaves too many runners on. We could get some nice value for him.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I hope that they do trade Pedro. Sure, he hit a homer last night, but is way too inconsistent and strikes out way too much and leaves too many runners on. We could get some nice value for him.
Not like the Bucs to trade for MLB talent. They'll be happy to get rid of his paycheck and get the infamous "prospects" and/or some low salary "underachievers" or somebody/s that had a decent year a few years ago for him. They may make a move on a decent player/s if somebody else is paying part of their salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh