Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I hope that they do trade Pedro. Sure, he hit a homer last night, but is way too inconsistent and strikes out way too much and leaves too many runners on. We could get some nice value for him.
Pretty sure his ops is above jhay and I don't expect jhay to continue on the streak he's been on. Locke made the all-star game last year, too. Flashes in the pan and consistency are different things over 162 games.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-13-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Pretty sure his ops is above jhay and I don't expect jhay to continue on the streak he's been on. Locke made the all-star game last year, too. Flashes in the pan and consistency are different things over 162 games.
It's not. Harrison's OPS is 40+ pts more than Pedro's. But I'm not inclined to give Josh a regular position role as he's too important off the bench and being an injury replacement.

I'm annoyed Liriano showed zero progress today. Hurdle insists it's rust (which didn't show in his rehab start). I think he just out and out stinks this year. Too bad because with a couple of decent starts I would've tried to unload him to the Yankees for Robertson. Yankees are desperate for a LH starter (they just signed Jeff Francis off the used parts lot). Robertson is an FA just like Frankie. Salaries are similar. Yankees can slide Betances into closer role, which they're going to do next year anyway. Bucs need a K machine at back end of BP if they want to make a run. Works for both teams. Yankees are not going to give up the ghost despite losing Tanaka, but need a LHP to counter the short porch in RF in their bandbox. Robertson will be available for the right guy.

I don't see any rush/need to extend Walker at all. He's still under control for a couple more years and he'll make a ton in arbitration. I'd wait until next year when I'd move him back to his more natural position of 3b, as Hanson will take over 2b. Pedro either goes to 1b or gets unloaded for a pitcher. I have zero use for either Gaby or Ike at this point - not that Hurdle is doing either of them a favor by using them in situations counter to the concept of the platoon they're supposed to be. Why does Gaby have more ABs vs. RHP than LHP? I'd rather see Vanimal at bat than watch Ike flail at a LHP (.269 OPS!!!). Hell, Bucs would be better off teaching Tabata to play 1b.

If the Bucs are going to extend anyone, there's only one name they should focus on: Russell Martin.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 AM

273 posts, read 348,352 times
Yesterday's game against the Reds was long and frustrating to watch, namely due to poor pitching and a ridiculous attempt to steal third base. It never felt like the Reds beat the Pirates so much as the Pirates imploded.

Negron is going to masturbate himself raw for the next year thinking about that homer.

It's impressive to watch Cueto in action. His rolly-polly-ness just makes his athleticism and power all the more impressive. Dude can pitch.

I root for the Nats, too, and got a charge out of them beating the Phillies. They're non-stop lead and the total blow out made the game kind of dry, though.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
It's not. Harrison's OPS is 40+ pts more than Pedro's. But I'm not inclined to give Josh a regular position role as he's too important off the bench and being an injury replacement.

I'm annoyed Liriano showed zero progress today. Hurdle insists it's rust (which didn't show in his rehab start). I think he just out and out stinks this year. Too bad because with a couple of decent starts I would've tried to unload him to the Yankees for Robertson. Yankees are desperate for a LH starter (they just signed Jeff Francis off the used parts lot). Robertson is an FA just like Frankie. Salaries are similar. Yankees can slide Betances into closer role, which they're going to do next year anyway. Bucs need a K machine at back end of BP if they want to make a run. Works for both teams. Yankees are not going to give up the ghost despite losing Tanaka, but need a LHP to counter the short porch in RF in their bandbox. Robertson will be available for the right guy.

I don't see any rush/need to extend Walker at all. He's still under control for a couple more years and he'll make a ton in arbitration. I'd wait until next year when I'd move him back to his more natural position of 3b, as Hanson will take over 2b. Pedro either goes to 1b or gets unloaded for a pitcher. I have zero use for either Gaby or Ike at this point - not that Hurdle is doing either of them a favor by using them in situations counter to the concept of the platoon they're supposed to be. Why does Gaby have more ABs vs. RHP than LHP? I'd rather see Vanimal at bat than watch Ike flail at a LHP (.269 OPS!!!). Hell, Bucs would be better off teaching Tabata to play 1b.

If the Bucs are going to extend anyone, there's only one name they should focus on: Russell Martin.
In regards to Liriano, perhaps he means it or perhaps its lip service. Either way, it will be proven soon enough. He's gonna come on or fade away. I see him fading away.

Gaby and Ike are just position fillers.

Would be great to get MLB talent for Pedro but I see them getting lesser cheaper talent in his place.

They definitely need to sign Martin, but they won't.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Quote:
In regards to Liriano, perhaps he means it or perhaps its lip service. Either way, it will be proven soon enough. He's gonna come on or fade away. I see him fading away.

Gaby and Ike are just position fillers.

Would be great to get MLB talent for Pedro but I see them getting lesser cheaper talent in his place.

They definitely need to sign Martin, but they won't.
Liriano is just holding fast to his history. One year he's on, the next Blah...

Would like to be able to move Pedro for something, we've seen pretty much what he can be and unfortunately so has everyone else. He's American League bound and we'll never get anything of significance for him.

With this team's outfield being what it's going to be for the next several years, management needs to take advantage and put the team in a contending mode. Martin is absolutely priority for all that he brings, not to mention Sanchez is okay but only that, we have no full-time replacement for Martin. Time to extend him, yesterday.

1st base will continue to be a need for the Buccos. Gaby is regressing and Ike is treading water. w/o any other options that position will continue to be under populated.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
With this team's outfield being what it's going to be for the next several years, management needs to take advantage and put the team in a contending mode.
This.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
This.
Absolutely, but they won't. Money takes priority over winning.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Liriano is just holding fast to his history. One year he's on, the next Blah...

Would like to be able to move Pedro for something, we've seen pretty much what he can be and unfortunately so has everyone else. He's American League bound and we'll never get anything of significance for him.

With this team's outfield being what it's going to be for the next several years, management needs to take advantage and put the team in a contending mode. Martin is absolutely priority for all that he brings, not to mention Sanchez is okay but only that, we have no full-time replacement for Martin. Time to extend him, yesterday.

1st base will continue to be a need for the Buccos. Gaby is regressing and Ike is treading water. w/o any other options that position will continue to be under populated.
Quote:
I don't disagree with you, but it's interesting to see that Boston with its deep pockets is last in its division and the Yankees are third behind Baltimore.

Yea... I'm wishful thinking.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I don't disagree with you, but it's interesting to see that Boston with its deep pockets is last in its division and the Yankees are third behind Baltimore.

Yea... I'm wishful thinking.
A team doesn't have to "spend it all", but you can't consistently have one of the lowest payrolls in the league and expect to be a contender...but Bob makes money the way he does it. The team is extremely profitible year in and year out and he doesn't have to win to get people to pay.

IMO, he's a horrible owner, but he's a marketing genius and an excellent businessman.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
I'm confident they'll go hard after Martin with an aggressive offer. All that cheap pitching isn't worth anything without a decent catcher. There's at least $20 million coming off the books in 2015, not including Martin, so they can easily bump him to $12 mill/year deal with expected big arb raises for Walker, Pedro, Harrison, Melancon & Watson and still be below this year's $78 mill payroll, leaving room for a 1b acquisition and a back-end reliever.

I'd expect either a 3/$36 or 4/$42 with a team option and high buyout on the final year of the latter.

That won't stop somebody like the Dodgers making a ridiculously obscene offer to Martin no other team in their right mind would match. And if that happens, I'm sure there will be complaints. But the Bucs could also go the QO route. I don't see Martin refusing that if it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh