Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't see this in any way affecting how people view bikers; it is however another self inflicted damage to the African American community's reputation here.
That is very sad, but it is true and it might also reflect on cyclists? I watched the noon news top stories today, which I rarely do, because I can't stand the hype. Goodness, if I was a black man, I would really be depressed. I don't know if this was an off day, or what, but the first 5 stories were all about violence and the pictures showed them. The summer months seem to be wildly busy with crime. I know they say crime is down, but it wasn't down these past couple of days. Shootings left and right. Maybe I should give up my bicycle around here? I don't want to, but during the summer, it seems to be really wild out there. East Liberty and around there especially seem to really get going with crime. It is depressing and I am not watching the local stuff on the TV anymore. Best to sift through it on the web, so you don't see pictures if you don't open it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
i haven't lived in shadyside in almost 10 years, but i lived about 2 blocks up maryland from this. its right behind the old 'new york new york' that has a new name i don't know now..

pierce street didn't, at the time, need anyone from anywhere else to come walking over a bridge to mug or shoot you. maybe its changed, but that was one little out of the way street of projects in shadyside that you didn't go visit, walk through, or park on.
It was a dump, but they seemed to clean those row houses up a bit. Seems they didn't clean them up enough.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I see that I have already been participating in this thread, even though I just read it for the first time. Curious, that.

Anyway, it is indeed an odd crime, but there has always been some street crime in Shadyside, more in fact than most of the other popular East End neighborhoods (this isn't "making light" of crime in Shadyside, of course). So before taking this as evidence of a new wave of street crime (let alone trying to identify contributing factors), I would also like to see data indicating that the street crime rate had increased.

Similarly, I am not yet convinced that there is an increase in the rate of crimes committed by bicyclists.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
So before taking this as evidence of a new wave of street crime (let alone trying to identify contributing factors), I would also like to see data indicating that the street crime rate had increased.
I have a feeling it's more to do with the fact that it's summer and teenagers are bored and unsupervised, trying to see what they can get away with. Last summer I remember hearing about people getting harrassed/mugged by kids on bikes around the Food Co-op.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I see that I have already been participating in this thread, even though I just read it for the first time. Curious, that.

Anyway, it is indeed an odd crime, but there has always been some street crime in Shadyside, more in fact than most of the other popular East End neighborhoods (this isn't "making light" of crime in Shadyside, of course). So before taking this as evidence of a new wave of street crime (let alone trying to identify contributing factors), I would also like to see data indicating that the street crime rate had increased.

Similarly, I am not yet convinced that there is an increase in the rate of crimes committed by bicyclists.
I don't think anyone stated that there is an increase, but one needs to keep a watchful eye on trends. If that area becomes just too unsafe for me to ride my bike, I don't want to be the last to know.

I don't want to hype it all up, but it was an unusual crime and makes me realize there are gun toting bicycle riders in that area. I now know. I have seen some pretty shady people on bikes around the Home Depot area and once I was wondering if I was being watched as there was a guy on a bike behind me and one on the other side of the parking lot on Highland that seemed to make eye contact and look at me. I wasn't overly concerned because they wouldn't be able to keep up with my bike, but it made me wonder if we might see a pirate type act on bikes at some point? Pulling a gun and taking bikes as they pass through? I could see that and am always watching everyone around me.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
I wonder if the police are looking into the possibility that this incident might somehow be tied to the violent bicycle theft/ attempted theft that took place not too far away from this latest incident. It seems pretty clear to me that there is a relationship and if these cops, with their inflated pensions and luxurious paid time off provisions can't see it, maybe its time to privatize the police force since I pay too much in taxes anyway. The driver acted so irresponsibly in the control of his vehicle that I wouldn't be surprised if he was a PAT bus driver who drove an SUV home.

Oh, well, despite the local media coverage things won't change. It's obvious that people who ride bicycles are those that likely can't afford a car and probably live in Section 8 housing. Why the City allows people to ride bicycles in the first place is beyond me? Goodness. As soon as I can, I'm moving away from this area to a place where people can't ride bicycles and perpetuate crime like a beach or a snow-covered mountain.

[/sarcasm]

Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a feeling it's more to do with the fact that it's summer and teenagers are bored and unsupervised, trying to see what they can get away with.
Yeah and they seem to carry guns to see how much they can get away with. Sure is an odd society around that area.

I have heard that carrying a knife or large blade might be a better defense because of the speed one can use it. That study was done on Myth Busters and the gun lost out much of the time. I can't remember how many feet you need to be away from a knife carrier and you having a gun to be able to pull the gun, take the safer off and actually use it in defense. It was quite a distance if memory serves.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a feeling it's more to do with the fact that it's summer and teenagers are bored and unsupervised, trying to see what they can get away with.
Yep--I believe there are FBI statistics indicating violent and public-place crime rates go up in summer, and teenagers specifically get intoxicated more often (supporting the bored/unsupervised theory).

Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Does anyone think this will have an effect on how people view cyclists?
Maybe: if the story is really true regarding the car nearly hitting them.....then once again, people in this region seriously need to think about their actions. Intimidate the bikers and think there won't be consequences. I had a woman recently turn in to an intersection off of Reynolds Street and nearly hit me on my bike, and once I started screaming at her, followed me and intentionally tried to hit me multiple times. I caught up with her at the next stop sign, and I'm certain she has changed her mind regarding screwing with bikers.

If the kids had alterior motives, then it's a check against cyclists.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Maybe: if the story is really true regarding the car nearly hitting them.....then once again, people in this region seriously need to think about their actions. Intimidate the bikers and think there won't be consequences. I had a woman recently turn in to an intersection off of Reynolds Street and nearly hit me on my bike, and once I started screaming at her, followed me and intentionally tried to hit me multiple times. I caught up with her at the next stop sign, and I'm certain she has changed her mind regarding screwing with bikers.

If the kids had ulterior motives, then it's a check against cyclists.
Something about the story (the way the driver tried to chase them down mostly) makes me think the guy really did try to hit them. Even the most hardened teenage hoods packing heat aren't going to fire shots at a random white dude for no reason whatsoever (it would be another story if they tried to rob him). Something must have gotten them pissed off enough first to do something stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh