Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,082 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but have a question I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer it. I'm currently a teacher in training. When my training is complete I will have a BS in biology, a Masters of education, and I will be certified to teach biology, chemistry, and life science. I know that it is difficult to find teaching jobs in PA, however, I've been informed that there is a shortage of science teachers. I was hoping with my credentials that i will be able to find some type of teaching job in PA. Am I correct? Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
There is a shortage of science teachers.

You will have your pick of a few offers in the Pittsburgh metro area, where pay is the highest, and a position anywhere in the rural areas, where pay is lower.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There is a shortage of science teachers.

You will have your pick of a few offers in the Pittsburgh metro area, where pay is the highest, and a position anywhere in the rural areas, where pay is lower.
There is NO shortage in our region. Rural areas are your best bet unless you have connections in the Pittsburgh region where the pay is amazingly high for teachers. I suspect the highest paid in the country if you consider how expensive it is in comparison to other areas that pay what we do. San Francisco pays our wages, of course that is VERY expensive. This is a paradise for teachers, but hard to get a job.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There is NO shortage in our region. Rural areas are your best bet unless you have connections in the Pittsburgh region where the pay is amazingly high for teachers. I suspect the highest paid in the country if you consider how expensive it is in comparison to other areas that pay what we do. San Francisco pays our wages, of course that is VERY expensive. This is a paradise for teachers, but hard to get a job.
Yeah, in Allegheny county I don't know if any shortages exist anymore. Some positions garner 2000 or more applications. Liberal Arts types are over saturated, but even sciences are starting to become as well. As you said, high salaries are drawing laid off teachers from all over the nation. If you step out of Allegheny county your salary can drop as much as 30%.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM

64 posts, read 101,442 times
Yeah, there's no shortage of any subject matter when it comes to teaching in the Pittsburgh area. I know people with special ed, math, and science certifications; all of which are supposedly hard-to-staff but they're all still subbing and looking for jobs. There are too many teachers in this area and not enough jobs. Especially with the cuts in funding.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
You can find much more lucrative work with a BS in Biology than teaching.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 AM

There are teacher shortages in the state. That's where the OP is looking for a teaching job----in PA.

There are plenty of jobs available throughout the state. He will have his pick of jobs if he is willing to work anywhere in the state.

Although there isn't a shortage in the Pittsburgh metro, there are jobs to be had.

He'd have better luck in Harrisburg, Reading, Philadelphia. Last time I checked, Harrisburg, Reading and Philadelphia weren't considered rural areas.

http://www.shorter.edu/academics/fin...elds_state.pdf

Science Teacher Jobs, Employment in Pennsylvania | Indeed.com

Pennsylvania Teaching Jobs - Listings: Classroom Teacher jobs for Science subject area

Find teaching jobs at SchoolSpring.com!

And locally, a chemistry teacher is needed at Pittsburgh's Science & Technology Academy. 3 openings for physics teachers too.

Pittsburgh Public Schools | Human Resources

I could go on and on.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
I dont know about Philly. My friend graduated last year and only for a few subbing jobs, is still looking for a job. She is trying to get an online job just to get the experience. Most places she feels are looking for experienced teachers.

She also has a masters in science and can teach middle school.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I dont know about Philly. My friend graduated last year and only for a few subbing jobs, is still looking for a job. She is trying to get an online job just to get the experience. Most places she feels are looking for experienced teachers.

She also has a masters in science and can teach middle school.
Good point about experience. Most professions prefer experience. That's why many local teacher graduates start out in other states and come back to Pittsburgh after having experience. But there is an amazing amount of teacher jobs available in Philadelphia so the odds would certainly be better there than here.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 PM

71 posts, read 646,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good point about experience. Most professions prefer experience. That's why many local teacher graduates start out in other states and come back to Pittsburgh after having experience. But there is an amazing amount of teacher jobs available in Philadelphia so the odds would certainly be better there than here.
The School District of Philadelphia laid off 500 teachers last summer. They hired some back but many lost their jobs for good. Several schools were closed down to save money, including private schools in the area that left many experienced teachers searching for jobs. Class sizes are out of control in the city. Where are you hearing about all of these teaching jobs? I want one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh