Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Sure, that certainly is a factor.
More precisely, it appears it was the ONLY factor.

Quote:
But then, the Motor Voter Act a number of years ago was designed to try and change the outcome of elections in favor of the Democrats.
Perhaps, but it did so by making it easier for people to vote, and as I noted above, there is a legitimate, non-partisan, argument for using current technology and best practices to make it easier for people to vote.

Quote:
yes, the rules in any election do make a difference. Does that make any such changes suspect?
To review:

(1) We already had a voter id procedure;

(2) The state admits that there was no risk of in-person voter fraud under that procedure, which was the nominal issue being addressed by the law;

(3) House Leader Turzai admitted it was a goal of this law to change the outcome of the upcoming election in favor of Romney.

If similar circumstances applied in other cases, then yes, they would also be suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
this change in the laws was made purely in the hope that it will prevent some otherwise qualified people from voting in the upcoming election, for the purpose of benefiting a particular political party.
Turzai's boneheaded bumbling aside, every news article on someone actually being effected by these laws was some old guy being turned away while trying to vote for mitt Romney in the primary.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`d say you were born a couple hundred years too late.
Well less than a hundred years ago SHE would not have been able to vote.

I'm sorry but of all of the rights we have in a democracy the most basic one is the right to vote. It's already been admitted that that this is an unnecessary barrier to the exercise of a citizen's right. That should stop the argument dead in its tracks, no matter how easy you think it is for someone to get a valid ID. I'm in the position of assisting someone for whom it will not be easy. I don't think she's a unique case. There are virtually housebound individuals in this community that have no mental or intellectual defects who now need to go out and get a valid ID in order to vote by absentee ballot. I know a few of whom who are elderly suburbanites. So this may not all work the way Mr. Turzai seems to think it will.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Yes, pit2atl. Something like 50 percent of the population now pay no federal taxes, and a substantial percentage of these get money out of the tax system because it has been turned into a welfare program.

These same people are voting for candidates who promise them more free stuff that people like me have to pay for.

If you bar them from voting, I guarantee that within a few short years, we taxpaying voters will make sure they are once again paying taxes AND voting.
Then change the tax system. You act like low income people are sitting at home collecting welfare. People have to work to getting money out of the tax system without paying into the system. It's not like they can sit home and get a tax refund.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Should you have to register to vote?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
who does not have proper ID? maybe the same people who show up at Target at 4AM the friday after thanksgiving, thats who.
People who like deals don't have IDs?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Should you have to register to vote?
Just do like Iraq. Put permanent ink on people when they vote so they can't vote twice.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just do like Iraq. Put permanent ink on people when they vote so they can't vote twice.
I'd actually support that over any id law, until someone opens up the permanent ink removal business of course.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Because last year, I made around 8k part time while in college. I paid 0% in Federal taxes so I shouldn't have been able to vote? Now i make a lot more than that and I still have the same views as before. So the amount of money you make or percent of taxes you pay doesn't make a strong argument as who should be allowed to vote.
Not to mention that plenty of people turn 18 while in high school and may or may not need to be working at all. Or people who have retired and are living on small fixed incomes. I'm with others here -- virtually all the people I know who would be affected by this are elderly and/or disabled.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its a pretty minimal barrier.

There are barriers to everything that is worthwhile. You have to get up in the morning, find that job, actually do the job every day, find a place to live.

Do we really want a situation where no effort is required, and no value is put upon the effort it takes to cast a ballot?

Think we'd get better results that way?
I can honestly say that I don't know what all of the uproar is about with having ID. You are required in Pennsylvania to have either a driver's license or state photo ID. The latter costs a mere $13 every 4 years. I get a notice well in advance of when my state ID is expiring.

Photo ID is required for many things, not just voting. I've had to show my ID to get a library card and sometimes when using a credit card plus other things.

Also you need an ID when applying for welfare and other entitlements. I bet those folks have no problems with it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh