Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 02:23 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Not sure that is true for Cincy. Saw an interesting discussion about Chicago's sphere of influence, that discussed the regions that come under Chicago's sway. Detroit, Indy, Milwaukee, and St. Louis were strongly tied to Chicago, but the ties of all of the Ohio cities, including Cincy, were substantially weaker, with Louisville and Pittsburgh's ties being insignificant.
Are you talking about those charts of migration interchanges between Metro Chicago and other major Midwestern metros (and peripheral metros like PGH and L'ville)?

Pittsburgh and Louisville indeed represented rather small flows comparably... can't remember what Cincinnati looked like. Tried to google... but can't find these charts again... may have been discussed on Urbanophile once upon a time.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,726 times
Using the same data set, I notice that Columbus is a lot like Cleveland (about even gross migration with Chicago and NYC). That line (from Cleveland to Columbus) is a good border between NE and Midwest.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
Looking at IRS data from 1996-2010, Cincinnati's largest out of state migration trading partner is Chicago (3rd overall). Dayton is first, Columbus second. New York is 12th. LA is 9th.
That is really strange and shocking that LA would rank higher than NYC as a migration trading partner for Cincy.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM

799 posts, read 1,289,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That is really strange and shocking that LA would rank higher than NYC as a migration trading partner for Cincy.
It's also very telling. Looks like there is a Latino migration connection.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,873 times
Moderator cut: oprhaned
I grew up in the northeast and have lived in Pittsburgh for the past 22 years. It is definitely not northeast in any way. The Allegheny Mountains may just as well be a 100 mile high wall. Pittsburgh is much more midwest than northeast. Having grown up within 1.5 hrs of both NYC & Philadelphia, and traveled the northeast extensively for 25 years in my sales career, Pittsburgh is not northeast at all. The very first thing that sticks out is that people who live in the area pay much more attention to the happenings to the west & south of them and generally have no idea what's going on in the northeast, and no interest in knowing.

The entire culture of the area is vastly different compared to the culture east of those mountains.

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2012 at 01:17 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 PM

429 posts, read 654,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
I grew up in the northeast and have lived in Pittsburgh for the past 22 years. It is definitely not northeast in any way. The Allegheny Mountains may just as well be a 100 mile high wall. Pittsburgh is much more midwest than northeast. Having grown up within 1.5 hrs of both NYC & Philadelphia, and traveled the northeast extensively for 25 years in my sales career, Pittsburgh is not northeast at all. The very first thing that sticks out is that people who live in the area pay much more attention to the happenings to the west & south of them and generally have no idea what's going on in the northeast, and no interest in knowing.

The entire culture of the area is vastly different compared to the culture east of those mountains.
I lived in Philly (and close to it now again in the rural parts of Eastern Pa) and the Mountain West. I feel Pittsburgh is not cultured like the East or Midwest.

This argument could cycle in a 360 for infinity.

People have different ideas what they consider NE and Midwest, not only in geographical differences, built environment, historic background, architecture, but also culture. For instance, what does paying attention to happenings in the west and south vs the east really mean? Like watching NYC news as opposed to Kansas news? People only have an idea what goes on in Pittsburgh. Is it politics? Class? These things all differ from every city. Boston culture is different than Philly Culture, from Pittsburgh culture, to Chicago Culture, and so on and so on.

I always found more differences in urbanites vs rural people (which I have lived in big cities to small towns) more so than people of different regions. This is just me though, and am just babbling non-sense.

Last edited by SPSGuy; 09-10-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post

Have you ever lived in the Midwest? If not, you really have no basis for comparison. Again, you are saying northeast, when what you really mean is east coast. The east coast is part of the northeast, not the entire northeast.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Oh Brother ...This will never end...

Being Northeast doesn't mean exclusively East Coast....Jesus when will people get a clue quit being territorial idiots...Pittsburgh is a Northeastern City not an East Coast city....

Problem is in Pop Culture (Rap/Hip Hop war hangovers from the 90's) of today has muddied the geographical terms "East Coast" is synonymous with the "Northeast"....many many people refer to places like Pittsburgh and Buffalo as being "East Coast" Cities. Just like "West Coast" in Pop Culture is synonymous for California...even though Portland and Seattle are both on the West Coast, they're not "West Coast" cities. Same as Richmond, Charlotte, and Miami they're on the East Coast but are not "East Coast" cities

Pittsburgh is not Midwest.....Not being exactly the look and feel of the BosWas Corridor, doesn't automatically make a city Midwest.

If you can definitively state that you've experienced the Midwest and Northeast (and NOT just the East Coast, i-95 corridor), there will be no debate about it, Pittsburgh is a Northeastern City.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Actually, I would think the "Northeast" would be the BosWash Corridor, as it is entirely in the northeast. I would say the northeast is basically, New England and the PA, and Maryland, and DC. Pittsburgh is right on the Border to the Midwest. Buffalo is too, but you have Canada as a buffer. I guess you could say it is the transition zone between Northeast and Midwest.

However culturally, I would still think it is more midwest. It is a long way to I-95, and Columbus and Cleveland are both closer than Buffalo

the north east is a part of the East coast, not the other way around. The east coast is all the way down to florida.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM

429 posts, read 654,067 times
I wonder if people in LA think as Las Vegas as being in the "Mid West"? They are about equivalent in distance as Philly and the Jersey border to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh