Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Local TV news is sensationalized, and the weather reports they do on there are pretty much in the same tone particularly when something interesting comes along (because otherwise it's pretty boring stuff).
Yeah. But honestly, for most of the time, the weather segment on the news should be just as boring as the weather is. To sensationalize a gentle summer rain by using "Stormtracker radar" really does the public at large a disservice, because you get people thinking like curtis obviously is--'This storm isn't going to be much to worry about, because they hype everything.' Sometimes though, the weather lives up to the most dire predictions of it.

Quote:
Ivan was a massive category 5 hurricane. This is barely a hurricane at all. Sure it is going to hit a very populated area and flooding is going to be an issue. There will be about nothing here in Pittsburgh. One day of 40ish MPH winds.
It's true that Ivan wasn't a hurricane when it got here, let alone a Cat 5. What it was, was an awful lot of precipitable water in the atmosphere, and it ended up precipitating right on top of us. And honestly, I don't remember Ivan being hyped up as the local disaster it turned into. I think the results were somewhat worse than expected. Sandy is the same in terms of it being a bigtime rain event, and we need to respect the possibility of things turning out badly locally, at least in spots. High winds and rainsoaked ground are a formula for trees falling, and that could happen in any neighborhood in the area. When it's all said and done, I hope we can all look back at it as a non-event, but if you lose power for a day or two, I'm sure it'll be memorable.

There seems to be little doubt that a couple hundred miles east of here it's going to be a really big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
What TIME Monday afternoon?!?!?!!

I have to be in McMurray for an appointment on Monday afternoon. I can't postpone this appointment.

I don't mind getting a hotel room afterwards if necessary, but I'm worried about getting TO the appointment.

I wonder if I should get a hotel room down there tonight.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What TIME Monday afternoon?!?!?!!

I have to be in McMurray for an appointment on Monday afternoon. I can't postpone this appointment.

I don't mind getting a hotel room afterwards if necessary, but I'm worried about getting TO the appointment.

I wonder if I should get a hotel room down there tonight.
Getting a hotel because there are 40 mph winds and some rain? Okay.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Ivan was a massive category 5 hurricane. This is barely a hurricane at all.
Ivan was a powerful hurricane that traveled lots of ground reducing it a tropical storm before it came here. Sandy isn't as powerful of a huricane but she won't be traveling much ground before her winds get here. I anticipate this will be very similar to Ivan for us. We have a cold front that will stall Sandy's tropical storm winds right over us, just like Ivan stalled over us.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Getting a hotel because there are 40 mph winds and some rain? Okay.
My problem is that this is a super important appointment for one of my kids. We're working with a very tight schedule to accomplish X, Y & Z before mid-November. If this appointment is postponed, it will be a huge domino impact on important life plans. Normally, I take weather in stride, but this is too important to get screw up by weather.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
My problem is that this is a super important appointment for one of my kids. We're working with a very tight schedule to accomplish X, Y & Z before mid-November. If this appointment is postponed, it will be a huge domino impact on important life plans.
Okay then you are going to be in a hurry and under stress because of weather. I vote for the hotel. Why not just be there hang out close by and get some pizza with the kid. Might as well make it fun instead of all stressed out. Always leave early and be calm for safety. Getting a hotel would be super early and very low stress!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Okay then you are going to be in a hurry and under stress because of weather. I vote for the hotel. Why not just be there hang out close by and get some pizza with the kid. Might as well make it fun instead of all stressed out. Always leave early and be calm for safety. Getting a hotel would be super early and very low stress!
Yeah, I'm thinking better safe than sorry in this scenario. I wonder if there are any hotels with swimming pools down there.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking better safe than sorry in this scenario. I wonder if there are any hotels with swimming pools down there.
Don't worry. You'll be able to swim in the parking lot.

You do realize that if you get a hotel room, the person the appointment is with won't be able to make it, right?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Don't worry. You'll be able to swim in the parking lot.

You do realize that if you get a hotel room, the person the appointment is with won't be able to make it, right?
I know! But I'm betting on the fact it's with a medical professional. I'm sure they have back-up generators too.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Hubby insists it will be okay so he is going instead.

Nevermind that I left Squirrel Hill at 1:30PM and didn't get home until midnight with Ivan.

Nevermind that he didn't get home until 4:00am that night.

I told him if he misses tomorrow's appointment, he'll be living in the garage.

He's okay with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh