Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I find it very telling that so many in this thread are quick to assume that in every instance of a cyclist being hit the motorist was intending harm. That's a very dark view of the world to have when you believe that so many around you are capable of killing you without a moment's thought.
i have very rarely seen people accusing motorists of intending harm to cyclists, except in some cases where they clearly did (the motorist chasing down and stabbing colin albright, the motorist who intentionally swerved at a cyclist from a stop, according to multiple witnesses, a few months ago). edited to add: ok, the latter is what this thread was originally about: again, this was a pretty clearcut case where several people saw what happened and there is not really any other explanation for what the motorist did. i'd also say there's no other explanation for the time someone followed a friend of mine into the bike lane, screaming and swearing and blaring his horn (oh and my friend is NOT captainpittsburgh! totally different incident). this stuff happens. it's called road rage and it's a documented phenomenon.

what i do see more often, though, is people accusing motorists of being careless and/or reckless. it actually hasn't happened in the discussion of this most recent incident (the conversation seems to have been dominated by tclifton's "cyclists should be banned from the streets" schtick so far), but i'll do it - this woman turned left into the child when he and his family were riding with the right of way. of course it was not intentional but it was very careless of her. at least she stuck around like a decent human being, unlike a lot of other people who hit cyclists and pedestrians.

Last edited by groar; 04-24-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 PM

also i wonder if they ever caught the driver from the original incident. i never saw a follow-up to this story.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
They don't belong on the sidewalk, that's for sure. I almost had a head on with one the other day coming around a corner.
I agree that bikes shouldn't be on the sidewalk, but it is indeed legal in Pennsylvania for bikes to be ridden on a sidewalk except within commercial districts.

I was impressed with the bicycle infrastructure in parts of urban Europe where vehicular road lanes are flanked by specifically delineated bicycle and pedestrian lanes, sometimes being physically separated from each other. I appreciate the wide lanes being accorded to bicyclists in Pittsburgh on some streets, but I wish it could be expanded well beyond that. A more robust non-road-based mass transit system would certainly help with that.

I remember hearing in Copenhagen a few years back that there was a growing concern over careless bicyclists hitting and injuring pedestrians. Change that to cars hitting bicyclists and I guess you can say that Pittsburgh is now just like Copenhagen.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
We pedestrians, i.e., those of us who belong on the sidewalk, don't want the cyclists.

They wait until you can touch them with your tongue to let you know they're there by whispering "passing" or "on your right" in your ear, and all that does is make you jump out of your skin. And then they get all huffy when I tell them where they belong. I live on a main enough drag that cyclists want to ride on the sidewalk and I have gotten thisclose twice to bikers coming up behind me while I was waiting for the bus. Keep them in the road where they belong.
You think that's bad, try pushing a stroller with your kid in it when one "buzzes" you.

I get what you're saying, but some kind of comprehensive compromise is in order to minimize the risk for everyone. Hypothetically if the cyclists had specific arteries that they could utilize for higher speed travel (ie in the street with barriers protecting them) it would minimize the instances where they would need to be on the sidewalks to destination specific areas. As with vehicles utilizing a highway, cyclists could practice a higher rate of travel on the determined bike route, and then observe a slower rate on sidewalks as they get closer to their destination. In those instances where they were forced onto the sidewalk perhaps speed limits would be called for. The notion of an officer clocking a cyclist with a radar gun seems silly, but something along the lines of observing wreckless behavior on the part of the rider that could danger pedestrians may be more realistic a way of enforcing it.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
The culture is not going to change until someone beats this city over the head with the idea that they should be careful of bicyclists on the road. Bicycling on the road in this city just came out of nowhere in the past 5 years and it was immediate culture shock for both motorists and pedestrians. You can't expect a smooth transition from bike-free roadways to roadways being filled with them in such a short period of time.

What I'm trying to say is the city should work to educate the (stupid) masses. Do an ad campaign during Steeler games. Run stories about it during the evening news. Put up billboards. Until then jagoffs are going to have huge animosity towards bicyclists because they don't know any better.

Also, bicyclists don't get a free pass either. Follow the god damn rules of the road too.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
You're right, it would likely require changing the particular streets designated as cyclist streets into strictly one way traffic. I don't think residents would care for it (change in general is frowned upon), but to provide cyclists a safe space to commute it would be necessary. I'm certainly not an urban planner, but having specific bike friendly streets like this strategically placed around the city while forcing cyclists onto the sidewalks on all other main roads (like East Carson, Penn, Liberty, etct) seems like a reasonable compromise.
Woah, woah woah.

I was okay with your idea initially, but I presumed you were talking about putting those bike lanes on major streets like Penn, Liberty, Butler, East Carson, etc. After all, they are usually the most dangerous streets.

Ghettoizing bikes onto side roads won't work for a number of reasons.

1. It's literally impossible to commute on a bike without going on the main roads to some degree. I don't see how you could bike through the Strip District, for example, without going on a main commercial street (particularly if you include Smallman in the definition). Or in Lawrenceville you cannot cross from Upper Lawrenceville into Central Lawrenceville without going on Butler Street.
2. Setting up bike lanes on side streets means residential streets. Which means you'd be eliminating streetside parking directly in front of their houses. People would be ripping pissed about that.
3. It's illegal in PA, as others have noted, to bike on the sidewalk through a commercial district. So without a change in state law, this could not be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
They wait until you can touch them with your tongue to let you know they're there by whispering "passing" or "on your right" in your ear, and all that does is make you jump out of your skin. And then they get all huffy when I tell them where they belong. I live on a main enough drag that cyclists want to ride on the sidewalk and I have gotten thisclose twice to bikers coming up behind me while I was waiting for the bus. Keep them in the road where they belong.
The only time I ride on the sidewalks rather than the streets is crossing bridges. I do have to admit I've gotten peeved when I've said "on your left" and people don't react, but then again, pedestrians aren't used to having someone pass them.

In general, I've gotten really conscious of road safety as a biker now, because 90% of the time I ride, my daughter is with me in her bike seat. I try and avoid using roads as much as feasible and stay on trails, but outside of the North Side trail, there's no complete one we can do a regular commute on. I do notice drivers are notably more conscientious when I have my daughter with me compared to when I do not however.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The culture is not going to change until someone beats this city over the head with the idea that they should be careful of bicyclists on the road. Bicycling on the road in this city just came out of nowhere in the past 5 years and it was immediate culture shock for both motorists and pedestrians. You can't expect a smooth transition from bike-free roadways to roadways being filled with them in such a short period of time.

What I'm trying to say is the city should work to educate the (stupid) masses. Do an ad campaign during Steeler games. Run stories about it during the evening news. Put up billboards. Until then jagoffs are going to have huge animosity towards bicyclists because they don't know any better.

Also, bicyclists don't get a free pass either. Follow the god damn rules of the road too.
I'm glad to see that you're a fine, non-condescending example of the bike community. Believe it or not, sometimes people on bikes can come across as entitled elitist douchebags, which might add to the animosity, but thankfully you're representing that community as a very level headed person. Kudos to you for that!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM

as if ANYONE on here has ever said that cyclists don't need to follow the rules of the road.

edit: oh wait, maybe tclifton is being sarcastical! cute.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I do have to admit I've gotten peeved when I've said "on your left" and people don't react, but then again, pedestrians aren't used to having someone pass them.
As a frequent runner on city sidewalks I want to thank you very much for warning people as you pass them. I can't tell you how many times I've almost jumped out of my skin (just like jay5835) when I'm running down a sidewalk and suddenly have a cyclist whizzing by me at 15 miles per hour within inches of my body without being forewarned.

I also just wanted to point out that this discussion proves that the city is getting healthier. The fact that we're having so much congestion on sidewalks and so much animosity now between motorists and cyclists proves to me that more people are trying to drive less. Less cars on the road will certainly help to improve our air quality in the coming years, reduce our nation's dependency upon fossil fuels, improve the health of our citizens, and will create the DEMAND for better biking infrastructure. It will also provide a small uptick in the local economy---more people biking means less money spent on gas that can instead be spent at restaurants, retailers, etc. I think the next mayor will not be able to avoid addressing improving cycling infrastructure during his first term in office.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I'm glad to see that you're a fine, non-condescending example of the bike community. Believe it or not, sometimes people on bikes can come across as entitled elitist douchebags, which might add to the animosity, but thankfully you're representing that community as a very level headed person. Kudos to you for that!
I get it. Tony Clifton. Doh ho ho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh