Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 4,627 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some help on here.

My gf will be driving up to see me at the end of next week. We will be going to the Penguins game on February 2. She has never been to Pittsburgh and I have only been there twice (Pirates and Steelers game). We are both originally from a town close to Louisville.

The game starts at 1, what are some good things to do afterwards. Maybe places I should take her to see or do? I know it is probably going to be cold but walking outside is not a problem for us. We are both very active runners and the cold does not bother us. Also where is a great place to take her to eat at? I was thinking somewhere up on Mount Washington because of the views but I am not really familar with the area or any resturants? It doesn't even have to be up there. It could be downtown. Prices aren't that big of a deal as long as it isn't outrage. Any suggestions would be great!

We are in our lower twenties if that helps as well.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvchemist View Post
We are in our lower twenties if that helps as well.

Thanks everyone!
You'll be in your lower 40's before you get out of the traffic around the arena and actually get to Mt Washington and wait hours to get served.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Since walking isn't a big deal to you, you could consider parking at station square and walking to & from the game. That would give easy access to the incline to mt Washington from there & avoid sitting in the aforementioned arena traffic.

Last edited by UKyank; 01-16-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Since walking isn't a big deal to you, you could consider parking at station square and walking to & from the game. That would give easy access to the income to mt Washington from there & avoid sitting in the aforementioned arena traffic.

Yep, you would then only have to deal with the hours long wait to be served.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTransplant View Post
Yep, you would then only have to deal with the hours long wait to be served.
I've never actually had that problem

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I've never actually had that problem
I guess it never happens then.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM

264 posts, read 492,698 times
Park where you wish for the game...after you can take the T from Steel Plaza to Station Square and make the transfer to the Mon Incline and eat somewhere on Shiloh Street. You won't get a view from the restaurant but you can take in plenty before/after.

The restaurants nearer the Duquesne Incline are going to be more expensive (Grandview Saloon used to be the cheaper option over there while still getting a view...not sure if that's still the case or if it even still exists) and harder to access without a car.

The suggestion to park at Station Square is a good one and will alleviate traffic headaches leaving the vicinity of the arena...either way your trip to the top of Mt. Washington should definitely involve a ride on one of the inclines.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 PM

540 posts, read 868,623 times
I think Station Square is a good idea, especially if you want to eat on Mt. Washington. As for wait times, all of the restaurants with views take reservations, Isabella and Monterey Bay Fish Grotto both take them online and have availability for Feb. 2. Note: UKYank's recommendation above should say incline, not income.

There are a lot of good dining options downtown too (Six Penn Kitchen, Eleven, Meat and Potatoes, etc. are often recommended by posters here). There are also several restaurants in Market Square, just a few blocks downhill from Consol. On weekends all of the garages operated by the Pittsburgh Parking Authority are $5 flat rate, so you could park in one of the garages downtown and walk up to the game, then back down afterward for dinner. It is less than a mile between Consol and Market Square.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Note: UKYank's recommendation above should say incline, not income.
Ha, yes incline indeed.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
I'd avoid eating directly on Mt. Washington if I were you. Restaurants like LeMont and the Tin Angel take the breathtaking view as license to charge obscene prices for average food. If you want an expensive meal worth the money, you're better off eating somewhere Downtown, though La Tavola, which is set a bit further back from the incline on Boggs Avenue, wouldn't be a bad choice if you're into mid-priced Italian cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh