Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
$35/ sq ft is what the rent rate has to reach in order for new office construction to be profitable.
that's in philly, construction costs in pittsburgh are ~10% lower according to the link, which would put the rent at $32/ sq ft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
from my personal aesthetic stadpoint the ugliest area of Downtown architecture is Gateway Center.
I love Gateway Center. It's one of the few things I find attractive downtown. Fifth Avenue Place, now there's one they should blast into oblivion.

After that, PPG Place. I hate that fake black glass and steel castle with every architecture-sensitive fiber in my being. Shame on you, Philip Johnson.

At least fugly FAP doesn't pretend to be architecture.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I love Gateway Center. It's one of the few things I find attractive downtown. Fifth Avenue Place, now there's one they should blast into oblivion.

After that, PPG Place. I hate that fake black glass and steel castle with every architecture-sensitive fiber in my being. Shame on you, Philip Johnson.

I am a fan of Gateway Center as well. Not only is it historic (the first post ww2 urban renewal project), it is also a showcase for many achritectual styles that came about during that period. From international style to exo skeleton design, Its a musuem of mid century design set in a parklike setting...

I love fifth avenue place and PPG. Both are wonderful examples of post modern achitecture.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:

Wow. You and I are like oil and water! LOL! I happen to love PPG Place and am ambivalent about Fifth Avenue Place.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Wow. You and I are like oil and water! LOL! I happen to love PPG Place and am ambivalent about Fifth Avenue Place.
We agreed on "Pumped Up Kicks," no?

As for PPG Place, well, I like the space it defines in Market Square. It's just that Philip Johnson did so many better buildings earlier in his career. If only PPG had spent the money on a nice Philip Johnson building. I actually like the Lipstick Building, incidentally, from the same era. It's one of the more distinctive new buildings in NY.

Here's a Philip Johnson starter list if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_...#Notable_works

Last edited by jay5835; 03-07-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Well, we agreed on "Pumped Up Kicks."
...and liking it when guys wear skinny jeans.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
...I want to see Oxford RESTORE rather than DEMOLISH the Frank & Seder Building for a skyscraper.
Why not do what they do in New York, and preserve the street-level facade while building a skyscraper above it?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
...and liking it when guys wear skinny jeans.
True. I don't know why anyone would dislike guys in skinny jeans.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
I generally like PPG place except for how it disrupts the look of Market Square for one fourth of its circumference. I also like the Gateway Center as it exists now, though I generally don't like the idea of obliterating a street grid for the sake of large-scale development a la Allegheny Center. But since it's already done, I appreciate it for what it is and it serves as an excellent example of the trends in urban development from that time.

Fifth Avenue Place doesn't excite me one way or the other, though I wish I could have seen the Jenkins Arcade.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:

it must bug the heck out of you that PPG is a defining building in the skyline while gateway is an also ran. PPG's main problem seems to be one of leasing, the tenant mix is poor and doesn't take advantage of the "square." As for gateway, aside from the hideous wyndham building the architecture is somewhat pleasant even if the "park in the city" falls flat. one would assume that gateway is also the reason for the bizarre street plan with penn ave there. dumb. not that I think it's worth knocking down for that reason.what did the grid look like before? no doubt it was "modernized" to improve flow for people who lived elsewhere.

Last edited by pman; 03-07-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh