Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,210 times

Advertisements

to be honest aside from oakland and squirrell hill, i have no idea where these other places are. hows mt.washington? or south side slopes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM

9,351 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Part of what you see in Oakland is the result of spoiled out-of-town college kids having their parents pay for off-campus housing for them. I made a delivery to a girl once while working for a former employer, and her mother (in CT) was paying over $1,000/month in rent for her to live in a posh Shadyside apartment building while she attended school here (according to the leasing office). Judging by all of the luxury vehicles and newer vehicles you see around the campuses here there is obviously a lot of out-of-town wealth pouring in, and local slumlords certainly are going to cash in on that, leaving everyone else out of luck.
You heard it here first, folks! If your parents have the nerve to take care of your college expenses, you're a lesser human being for it! You should know better than to make those kinds of statements.

Oakland is overpriced because it's a student ghetto; there's constant demand and a limited supply. Most people who go to Pitt come from conventionally middle- to upper-middle class backgrounds; their parents usually chip in what they can. That means some (but typically not all) of their tuition and living expenses. These are the people who predominantly inhabit the crappy-but-crazy expensive South Oakland housing. They split rooms in houses and cram into apartments in order to do so. Even then this is still a savings from dorm expenses for most people, not to mention the fact that Pitt doesn't guarantee senior housing, so most fourth-years are forced to live off-campus anyway. Besides, this "out-of-town" wealth you speak of isn't really a new development. CMU has always had a wealthier-leaning student body, and while Pitt has soared in quality over the past 10-15 years, the proportion of out-of-state students (who pay the most in tuition $$) has not greatly increased.

Shadyside, while certainly not an uncommon choice for students, is not a "student ghetto" a la South Oakland, so your "rich kid" hypothesis doesn't really add up, at least not as the primary cause, given the plethora of young professionals and families who live there as well.

Sincerely, a formerly "spoiled," "out-of-town" college kid who drove a "luxury car," but ironically enough, never lived off-campus!

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-21-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Sorry to have touched a nerve with you, HeavenWood, but as an individual who is derived from a lower socioeconomic background (my parents were "rich" for our poor hick town near Scranton, which made us lower-middle-class by national norms) it was extremely frustrating to drive a beater car, not be able to participate in extra-curriculars due to time constraints, and work full-time to try to pay for school while seeing so many peers not working, partying, and driving new luxury vehicles free of charge. I'm not saying YOU are one of those "spoiled" types; however, I look back at my "college experience" and realize I didn't even have one because I had to work so much to minimize my student loan burden and to try to avoid having my strapped parents pay for any of my expenditures. If I was a landlord would I rather rent to a college student whose dentist/attorney/engineer parent(s) were going to sign the lease and pay the $1,000/month rent or to a college student who would be signing the lease themselves with comparatively limited assets for a lower monthly rental charge? I'd be extremely irritated to have to work more hours to afford higher rent while going to school because peers who weren't working and had affluent parents who were driving up the cost of housing. It's not a level playing field to expect a middle-class 22-year-old to compete for a rental with the affluent parents of another 22-year-old.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,210 times
honestly rentals in which college students pay for nearby college here is about the same as a family renting it out. Only difference is the house will have 4-5 people living in it, making rent 5-600/mo per student. so landlords don't jack up rents because its near george mason, ODU,etc.

i dont have the luxury of having my parents pay for my rent, though they are willing to help pay for the moving costs and maybe a months rent until i land on my feet in terms of employment.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,838 times
Maybe give Forest Hills a look. It's not that far out, it seems safe, and it's a doable commute via bus or car. And relatively cheap. Sorta halfway between Monroeville and Regent Square.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM

9,351 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
Sorry to have touched a nerve with you, HeavenWood, but as an individual who is derived from a lower socioeconomic background (my parents were "rich" for our poor hick town near Scranton, which made us lower-middle-class by national norms) it was extremely frustrating to drive a beater car, not be able to participate in extra-curriculars due to time constraints, and work full-time to try to pay for school while seeing so many peers not working, partying, and driving new luxury vehicles free of charge.
I understand that. My girlfriend had a similar experience in undergrad, and I in no way fault you for your frustration.

Quote:
I'm not saying YOU are one of those "spoiled" types;
See, by speaking in such broad brush-strokes, you really are.

Quote:
however, I look back at my "college experience" and realize I didn't even have one because I had to work so much to minimize my student loan burden and to try to avoid having my strapped parents pay for any of my expenditures.
I'm truly sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, the "college experience" is in many ways both overstated and overrated; looking back on my college years, the times I enjoyed most were the ones that had very little to do with the archetypical college experience.

Quote:
If I was a landlord would I rather rent to a college student whose dentist/attorney/engineer parent(s) were going to sign the lease and pay the $1,000/month rent or to a college student who would be signing the lease themselves with comparatively limited assets for a lower monthly rental charge?
Are you talking about an actual bidding war? That very seldom happens with college students. But assuming your hypothetical, if you were a businessman with any modicum of sense, you'd rent to the perso who can afford to pay more. If you're a landlord, you're looking to make a profit. And if you protest that doing so is "immoral," the college student with comparatively limited assets will rent somewhere else--perhaps somewhere a bit further and less convenient to campus, but the choice will not be living in your apartment or out on the streets.

Quote:
I'd be extremely irritated to have to work more hours to afford higher rent while going to school because peers who weren't working and had affluent parents who were driving up the cost of housing. It's not a level playing field to expect a middle-class 22-year-old to compete for a rental with the affluent parents of another 22-year-old.
That's preposterous. Going by your logic, it isn't a "level playing field" either to expect a janitor at Reed Smith to compete for a rental with a managing partner. But they're really not going to be competing for the same rental in the first place, unless that janitor is living beyond his/her means or the managing partner is miserly beyond belief. There are different levels of student housing just like there are different levels of town homes, senior living, single-family homes, etc. etc. etc. And let me tell you something else: there are still a number of affordable places for East End college students to live. Forget South Oakland, which is an overpriced trash-heap in the first place. Beyond North Oakland, Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill, there are still a number of safe, affordable units in East Liberty, Highland Park, Greenfield, Point Breeze, Bloomfield, and Friendship, not to mention the (very outer) fringes of the Hill District. I remember my senior year there were studio apartments going for $400 in Highland Park. What have they gone up to now? $500? Still a damn good deal for a single person. And when you take a bedroom in a house, you really get a steal. I know of people who paid as little as $275 each in South Oakland. I'm sure large, multi-bedroom houses in those other neighborhoods command even better prices.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
It's not a level playing field to expect a middle-class 22-year-old to compete for a rental with the affluent parents of another 22-year-old.
Most aspects of life are not a level playing field. If it makes you feel any better, you're proably a five-percenter or even a one-percenter on a global scale.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,580,588 times
branch a little further out - Try places on transportation routes to Oakland - Greenfield, East Liberty, Highland Park, Friendship, Point Breeze, etc. Rental prices are high there because people don't look outside of the box and landlords can demand more for less there simply based on location.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM

65 posts, read 87,904 times
I believe when you posted before, you were talking about doing evening classes at Pitt. Parking at Pitt although difficult during the day, is very easy and relatively inexpensive at night. The schools sells parking permits just for the evening (after 5) and many different spots and lots are available to you, not just garages. So, if you need to live further away from Pitt, it's not a big deal at all. Call the school's parking office during daytime hours to ask questions and visit Parking: University of Pittsburgh. The Daytime permits will sell out, but I don't think it's usually a problem with the evening ones. You can buy them substantially in advance.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM

144 posts, read 224,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

i will need to find a job just to pay for my rent, but man it looks like i really need to move out to mt.washington or monroeville. Further away and relying on my vehicle to get to campus.

i didn't expect to pay nova room rates(suburbs) for such tiny and old housing. ive been willing to compromise, but it seems im compromising everything and getting nearly nothing for my range (ideally under 600/mo with utilities).
Unless you specifically want something like Monroeville and its shopping amenities, I have to say that it is unnecessary to live that far out to save money. For the record, Monroeville is connected to Oakland by way of the 67 route. This would be a better bet in my opinion than driving to campus. You don't want to be on 376, going into Pittsburgh from 6 - 10 am.

For whatever reason, if you do feel like driving would be the better option for you, don't park directly in Oakland, because parking passes are pricey. Do like me and park in Squirrel Hill, where there is plenty of free parking, and jump on a 61 at Forbes and Wightman.

How much space, and what kind of amenities are you looking for? If you don't mind something that's ultra compressed and rather basic (check out the floor plans - my shared room was 12.5' x 13.5'), Downtown might be an interesting choice, especially if you like to see a lot of shows. By the way, the location is very well connected to Oakland with over 8 busses going near the apartment.

Penn Commons | Student Housing in Pittsburgh Starting at $350

If you need more space than that, I recently helped a friend move into Beechwood Gardens, not too far from the Waterfront. If you find a roommate, you can end up paying under $600 (it's $825 for a two bedroom).

Zytnick Realty - Pittsburgh

Think you can get 3 friends to live with you? If so, this $1000 place might only cost you $250.

4BR/1BA Multi-Family

If you want something updated and more spacious 700 sq ft. This might suit you:

Newly Remodeled

It's near the light rail line called the T. You'd have to take that to Steel Plaza and take a bus to Oakland, but it might be worth a look, since it is exactly $600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh