Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 04:04 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Humidity is a little lower than in summer, but there's also less sunshine. Take a look at this:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Pittsb...nsylvania.html
Scroll down to climate data.

It very common in the midwest for people to talk about, and complain about the weather. In Colorado, people talk about the weather incessantly, but most people like the variety, and I like the "wild" weather we get sometimes. Don't like the (infrequent) tornadoes though, and whenever there is a blizzard it seems like someone is always traveling and we have to worry about their safety.
Last October I went on a trip to New England with people from LA and Orange County. All they did was complain about the cold and how miserable they were. They should have stayed home! It was a little chillier than expected, but I enjoyed myself all the same.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Is there any city in America where people whine about the weather more than Pittsburgh? I doubt it.
Seattle. Probably Portland ....

Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Seattle. Probably Portland ....
But, it's mostly done by Californians living in Seattle/Portland.

People who move to Seattle/Portland from the Midwest, never complain about it, nor do the locals.

I lived in Portland Oregon for a year, and I moved out there after Michigan/Minnesota. Portland was an amazing Winter comparitively. Just drizzles and beautiful green everywhere, which was far preferable to Michigan/Minnesota blizzards, ice storms, perma-snow for 4 months, etc.

I never heard of any local Oregonians or Washingtonians complain about it either. I never heard anyone complain about it, until I start frequenting city-data, and being aware of the large percentage of Californians moving to OR/WA over the last 10 years. (I was living in Oregon in 1995-1996, which I suppose predated ever so slightly the emormous large influx of Californians who regularly complain online and elsewhere about PNW weather).

Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is a very fair assessment and obviously my opinion. I am hardly a "die hard". If you want a real winter, head up to Buffalo or even Chicago. How about Minneapolis? We do have great weather if you like a variety. Who are you to tell me how to perceive the weather that I have lived in for decades? No one. Weather is personal. Nothing more. There are people who LOVE cloudy days. Some love sunshine. Some snow. Some love all weather. You don't dictate other people's thoughts on the weather. I gave MY opinion and it is not only a fair assessment for me, it is a correct one. Move to Florida.
You need to apply your advice to the post I responded to. Your post was full of opinions and half truths. Trying to come on this forum and talk about how Pittsburgh has great weather is silly. Pittsburgh has a lot of great things, weather is never going to be one of them. It's great you enjoy all the seasons, but for most there will be at least 6 months of subpar weather in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
It's great you enjoy all the seasons, but for most there will be at least 6 months of subpar weather in Pittsburgh.
In my experience, most people enjoy a bit of variety. Or if they don't they, go ahead and move to somewhere else. However, I object to 'subpar' as a categorization of the weather in Pittsburgh. The winters are never really cold and the summers rarely really hot. And the clouds mean less squinting.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Is there any city in America where people whine about the weather more than Pittsburgh? I doubt it. I think it's part of "fitting in" here. Like rooting for the Steelers, speaking the local dialect, and making Pittsburgh lefts, I think complaining about the weather is just part of the culture.
As far as I can tell, it's mostly people not from here whining about the weather. I don't hear natives talking about months without sun or similar. Other than that, people from just about anywhere talk about weather. I don't see anything unique going on here.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
As far as I can tell, it's mostly people not from here whining about the weather. I don't hear natives talking about months without sun or similar. Other than that, people from just about anywhere talk about weather. I don't see anything unique going on here.
Everywhere I've lived people talk about the weather. Sometimes it's to complain, sometimes it's to say how nice it is. The problem is when you have a person who hates a certain type of weather (fog, snow, sun, heat, humidity, grey...) living in a place where that type of weather is common. That's what I see on this forum, people who don't mind or who even prefer grey weather arguing with people who can't stand it.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
In my experience, most people enjoy a bit of variety. Or if they don't they, go ahead and move to somewhere else. However, I object to 'subpar' as a categorization of the weather in Pittsburgh. The winters are never really cold and the summers rarely really hot. And the clouds mean less squinting.
To say the winters are never cold you either have a short memory or haven't lived there that long. Last winter was mild temperature wise, but anywhere that has the chance to have highs in the single digits is cold, and most pittsburgh winters has a stretch where the highs only get into the single digits or teens. That's cold in my book, and regardless of what some may claim I'm not riding a bike to work in that weather.

Listen I'm not here to bash pittsburgh, but if you were making a list of positives and negatives weather would be one of the leaders on the negative side for most people.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Last winter was mild temperature wise, but anywhere that has the chance to have highs in the single digits is cold, and most pittsburgh winters has a stretch where the highs only get into the single digits or teens. That's cold in my book, and regardless of what some may claim I'm not riding a bike to work in that weather.
If the sidewalks are dry, you can jog without much discomfort at all down the 20 degrees (assuming some artificial fabrics to wick the sweat away). Below zero, walking gets uncomfortable, but you don't have much to complain about until it gets down to there. You need to grow-up on the open plains to get your internal thermometer set correctly.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If the sidewalks are dry, you can jog without much discomfort at all down the 20 degrees (assuming some artificial fabrics to wick the sweat away). Below zero, walking gets uncomfortable, but you don't have much to complain about until it gets down to there. You need to grow-up on the open plains to get your internal thermometer set correctly.
I run outside in the winter here, it's not that bad. The main issue is the unsafe sidewalks, not the temperature. I just wear a thermal top and leggings under my workout clothes and I'm good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh