Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:11 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,914 times

Advertisements

i realized i was the only smoker outside today at social at bakery square. i overheard a white woman say im hispanic and basically say im an inferior human being. aftr 15 mins of hearing, and done smoking away from families with kids, i walked up and asked her why she felt hispanics wee inferior human beings.

needless to say she proved my point about pittsburgh: white people and black people dont accept latinos. we're an inferior race, which shocked me. i told her i accept her view, however i asked what masters degree she held. none, which im not surprised. i told her i busted my f'n ass t get into pitt, paying my own damn way and would be getting my bs at pitt.

im saddened by the racism displayed in pgh for latinos. never EVER in my life have i felt such discontent, i assumed it would be something to expect in the deep south, but in the north?!?!?!

i let it slide but goodluck gtting more latinos in here. blacks and white hate us, for no god given reason. those who like me i appreciate, like the employees of social, but the patrons, or at least some, make me question how latinos in pittsburgh are treated.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
So you equate what one person says as a region's view of latinos? What a strange way to live life. I guess I will never understand how people get caught up into being so sensitive they can't even leave the house because some moron might say something that offends them. Maybe you are right though. Maybe that one person is what everyone is like in our region. Sure that may be a generalization, but you seem to have made up your mind and I am certainly not going to defend an entire city because of what one person says. I do suspect that no one was happy about the smoke. Who would be?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
So you equate what one person says as a region's view of latinos? What a strange way to live life. I guess I will never understand how people get caught up into being so sensitive they can't even leave the house because some moron might say something that offends them. Maybe you are right though. Maybe that one person is what everyone is like in our region. Sure that may be a generalization, but you seem to have made up your mind and I am certainly not going to defend an entire city because of what one person says. I do suspect that no one was happy about the smoke. Who would be?
No but I noticed how locals treat me vs folks who come from other places where latinos are a larger number. I feel there's a hole in communications between the races here but I feel from what I've dealt with, a more discontent with latinos.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:53 AM

419 posts, read 551,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
No but I noticed how locals treat me vs folks who come from other places where latinos are a larger number. I feel there's a hole in communications between the races here but I feel from what I've dealt with, a more discontent with latinos.
A lot of people live here in a box and never travel anywhere. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Not all or even most Pittsburghers are like that, but the ones that are are more noticeable than in other regions. This isn't a very diverse area or an area where transplants flock to. Even so, there's no excuse for such bigotry.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:00 AM

268 posts, read 385,359 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed

Old 08-10-2013, 05:15 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
I do find that people here just are not exposed to many different people. Please do not equate that persons ignorance with everyone here in Pittsburgh.Its just ignorance on her/his part.

I respect everyone who is hard working, wants to get ahead and is doing things on their own dime. I dont care where you came from, and try to educate others with exposing them to different cultures.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 AM

15 posts, read 16,151 times
Yinzers are only racist behind closed doors. 70% also have major anger issues while they drive pickup trucks around the city. Some even have the ignorance to display confederate flag plates on the front. I have been seeing this a lot lately, and I live in the most "progressive" part of the city.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:46 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

im saddened by the racism displayed in pgh for latinos. never EVER in my life have i felt such discontent, i assumed it would be something to expect in the deep south, but in the north?!?!?!

Bigoted individuals are everywhere, not just the "Deep South". The myth that any particular area of the country is any more divisive than any other might serve some people's agenda but isn't based on fact. Back in the day, Pittsburgh- and other northern cities and states- has nearly as much racial segregation and intolerant attitudes as the south or anywhere else.

BTW, Bakery Square is hardly typical Pittsburgh- its the heart of "new Pittsburgh" with all of the googleheads and other students, tech people and outsiders who have come into the area in recent years. If your incident had occurred in Morningside or Sharpsburg, instead of a place where they have reserved parking spaces for hybrids, you might have a point about Pittsburgh as a whole.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBiker View Post
Yinzers are only racist behind closed doors. 70% also have major anger issues while they drive pickup trucks around the city. Some even have the ignorance to display confederate flag plates on the front. I have been seeing this a lot lately, and I live in the most "progressive" part of the city.
Really? I don't think I've ever seen a confederate flag within the city proper in the 15+ years I've lived here.

You will have racism anywhere you go, unfortunately. I find it odd that some of Pittsburgh's most affluent areas (primarily east end) also tend to have as much racism as anywhere else (a little better about hiding it though). I would suggest you not paint us with a broad brush due to one idiot. I'd imagine us Pittsburghers as a whole aren't any more or less racist than any other large city.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,844 times
You were out in the upper class part of the east end which is home to our hypocrite limousine liberals so its not that shocking. I never frequent that area if I can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh