Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think you walk around with poop colored glasses. Pittsburgh might be a bit "shabby" in a lot of places but it's not dirty in my experience.
No. Pittsburgh has a phenomenal amount of litter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
No. Pittsburgh has a phenomenal amount of litter.
really? where is it?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post

You may not think columbus is great but there are alot more people that like it and see it as more business friendly than pittsburgh. Pittsburgh needs to learn from columbus or a city like it when it comes to business and population growth.
Any justification for this assertion, zman63? Or did it just slide from the bowels of your dark imagination through your fingertips and into the forum all to see?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
really? where is it?
I must confess I don't get the litter thing either. Everything I've seen is just 'city litter', like Seattle has. Or Boston. The places I frequent in the East End are pretty litter-free. Schenley and Frick Park are beautifully maintained, the neighborhoods are clean. Downtown is fine, so is the Strip. Nope, I don't get it

Old 10-21-2013, 06:32 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry, that's an excuse. Pittsburgh wouldn't be the city it is w/o the 2,000,000+ suburbanites. Who would attend these arts offerings, sporting events, etc if it weren't for the suburbanites?

You were being disingenuous, including suburban cities, and cities in huge metros such as NYC as "equivalent". Aurora Colorado was never meant to be a "stand-alone" city, although it's getting more that way every day, with the relocation of the CU Health Science Center there from Denver.
I was trying to be generous about the peer group. You've chided me before for claiming cities don't count as peers because they have a lot of suburbs within city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. What you stated about columbus is exactly how I feel about pittsburgh minus the clean part.

You may not think columbus is great but there are alot more people that like it and see it as more business friendly than pittsburgh. Pittsburgh needs to learn from columbus or a city like it when it comes to business and population growth.

Of course our leaders go to cleveland for ideas instead
I'm willing to learn from Columbus if we get to annex the vast majority of Allegheny County as part of the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I must confess I don't get the litter thing either. Everything I've seen is just 'city litter', like Seattle has. Or Boston. The places I frequent in the East End are pretty litter-free. Schenley and Frick Park are beautifully maintained, the neighborhoods are clean. Downtown is fine, so is the Strip. Nope, I don't get it
It's true. Pittsburgh's litter is no worse than any other city I've ever been in. What sets Pittsburgh apart is more the...creative...ideas people had about home improvement here.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
really? where is it?
The residential parts of Oakland and the wooded sides of hills have the worst of it, but even the nicer areas have more than nicer areas of Pittsburgh (speaking regionally, not just the city) of other cities I've lived in. Lots of it is illegal dumping you wouldn't see in other places because the terrain makes it easier to hide, but I suspect most of it comes from the fact that almost nobody covers or seals their residential trash in such a way as to make sure it doesn't get spread all over before being picked up.

Schenley is very littered if you go up near the oval on a weekend. The containers for the trash aren't big enough to hold everything that gets put in them before it is picked up.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

It's true. Pittsburgh's litter is no worse than any other city I've ever been in. What sets Pittsburgh apart is more the...creative...ideas people had about home improvement here.

You like this creativity at 910 Bernd St. in Beltzhoover? I remember there are more decks on the back, the house was for sale in 2006 when I was shopping.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I was trying to be generous about the peer group. You've chided me before for claiming cities don't count as peers because they have a lot of suburbs within city limits.

I'm willing to learn from Columbus if we get to annex the vast majority of Allegheny County as part of the deal.

No city has suburbs within city limits. That's an oxymoron.

Get over this annexing shtick!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Pittsburgh would be best to make Pittsburgh the best Pittsburgh possible rather than aspiring to be someone else's idea of what a "World Class" city is. The city has a lot of qualities that are very much in its favor and, for the most part, I sense that the people who can make things happen will build off of them rather than try to make Pittsburgh into some duplicate of someplace else. Atlanta is definitely NOT a good example to follow.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No city has suburbs within city limits. That's an oxymoron.

Get over this annexing shtick!
You are being picky. There are plenty of cities, especially the annexation-happy ones, that have suburb-like neighborhoods within them because the cities are geographically very expansive. And some of those suburb-like neighborhoods used to be bona-fide suburbs prior to being annexed to the larger city. Also, a city with a lot of undeveloped land follwing World War II will have a lot of development within it that followed the pattern of most development following that war, i.e. suburban-style development.

Pittsburgh annexing the bulk of Allegheny County would put it in the same general grouping as Louisville, Indianapolis, or Jacksonville, which have all largely merged with their respective counties. It would also put it closer to the population density of Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh