Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times

Advertisements

the division is far from equal as far as i can tell. i would say most students and alumni and even fans want to go back, and the rest don't really care. i have heard or seen very few people that are against it, and a lot of people are really vocal pro-script.

they are sweet old uniforms even the throwback a couple years ago against youngstown got everyone excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
Default k

The on-campus stadium debate has been rekindled by an article in the Trib by Rob Rossi. I'm a staunch supporter of an on-campus stadium. I spent my college years at Pitt Stadium. Yes, it was a dump and often half-filled for lesser opponents (it was still too. If at 60K seats), but game days created a real buzz in Oakland that the North aside cannot match. Pitt Stadium was a destination, even if you were only moderately interested in the game itself. Playing football in an ugly, oversized (for Pitt's needs), off-campus , pro stadium is a real buzzkill for creating any sort of home field advantage.

A stadium is an expensive undertaking for sure but Pitt could probably make do with a relatively spartan 45K seat horseshoe stadium. The land atop the hill (containing the Cost center, OC lot, Trees Hall, and the practice fields behind Cost) is woefully underutilized with low-rise buildings that should be much taller for an urban campus. A moderately sized stadium could easily fit here and offer a breathtaking view of downtown. Parking could be replaced in taller, more efficient garages and Trees facilities could be integrated within the stadium (and elsewhere in campus). The new stadium would fit well the Peterson sports complex already built on the adjacent parcel. Traffic would be bad (as it was in Pitt stadium) but could be alleviated by better traffic flow from the Birmingham Bridge and Bigelow/Herron Ave. Add constant shuttles from campus and other places with ample parking (2nd Ave).

Pitt will probably never compete with the big boys again, but there is no reason they can't win 8-9 games a season and fill a smaller stadium. It will probably never happen in my lifetime but I can dream.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
The on-campus stadium debate has been rekindled by an article in the Trib by Rob Rossi. I'm a staunch supporter of an on-campus stadium. I spent my college years at Pitt Stadium. Yes, it was a dump and often half-filled for lesser opponents (it was still too. If at 60K seats), but game days created a real buzz in Oakland that the North aside cannot match. Pitt Stadium was a destination, even if you were only moderately interested in the game itself. Playing football in an ugly, oversized (for Pitt's needs), off-campus , pro stadium is a real buzzkill for creating any sort of home field advantage.

A stadium is an expensive undertaking for sure but Pitt could probably make do with a relatively spartan 45K seat horseshoe stadium. The land atop the hill (containing the Cost center, OC lot, Trees Hall, and the practice fields behind Cost) is woefully underutilized with low-rise buildings that should be much taller for an urban campus. A moderately sized stadium could easily fit here and offer a breathtaking view of downtown. Parking could be replaced in taller, more efficient garages and Trees facilities could be integrated within the stadium (and elsewhere in campus). The new stadium would fit well the Peterson sports complex already built on the adjacent parcel. Traffic would be bad (as it was in Pitt stadium) but could be alleviated by better traffic flow from the Birmingham Bridge and Bigelow/Herron Ave. Add constant shuttles from campus and other places with ample parking (2nd Ave).

Pitt will probably never compete with the big boys again, but there is no reason they can't win 8-9 games a season and fill a smaller stadium. It will probably never happen in my lifetime but I can dream.
Being new in town at the time, I only went to two games at the old dump (fortunately one of those was 12-0!). Prior to moving here, my college game experience had been limited to the Yale Bowl and the decidedly non-football atmosphere at UConn (which was still playing Yankee Division back then) along with an occasional big name game at the Meadowlands.

I imagine an on campus stadium would help attendance, but the one thing that would still be lacking is tailgating. You're not going to get that with parking garages. And to me, that's part and parcel of going to these games if you're alumni or post-college age but still interested in attending. I don't know how you guys worked that before. In the two games I attended, we parked near Soldiers & Sailors and there was enough room for a tiny hibachi grill and a couple chairs, but nothing like the elaborate spreads we encountered at Yale games (or at the Meadowlands) as there was no space for it.

Maybe it's just me, but IMO, if you want a better college game experience, you'd want to solve the tailgating situation as well.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:47 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
I don't know where you would put a new Pitt Stadium at, over in Oakland.

Maybe in Schenley Park, I don't know what the city would say about that, or whether that use would violate the conditions of the donation of the property laid out by Mary Croghan Schenley.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:08 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
I agree that a new stadium would make sense. As where to put it, I think the most practical spot would be on the land just west of the campus and Carlow. It's not as dense there and nothing really of significant historical value that I can think of.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:12 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I agree that a new stadium would make sense. As where to put it, I think the most practical spot would be on the land just west of the campus and Carlow. It's not as dense there and nothing really of significant historical value that I can think of.

Pitt briefly proposed to put a new stadium on Burrows to replace the doomed housing projects over there.

I thought the idea had merit, as the property was already owned by the government, eliminating the possibility of enriching people through the property acquisition phase.

But it was shot down, and Oak Hill was built instead.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Season ticket holder at both venues here.... chiming in with my impressions.

Parking is far better now than it ever was in Oakland.
Tailgating is far better at Heinz Field than it ever was in Oakland.
Bar & restaurant selection is better on the North Shore than in Oakland.
The hotel situation is better than in Oakland.

The visitors love being in the city - with its varied hotel and restaurant options, and its walkability - more than they cared for Oakland.

I DO miss going to Oakland, but the North Shore is quite nice!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM

Heinz may be better for tailgaters and visiting fans but Pitt Stadium was obviously better for the students and for Oakland in general. Pre-game in Oakland was special, as was the walk up Cardiac Hill (even in the lean mid-90s). I just don't see anything special about Heinz and feel there is a real lack of a home-field advantage there. It's been a very "meh" atmosphere, even for some of the bigger games I've attended (where opposing fans take much of that extra capacity). Pitt Stadium was unique and memorable while Heinz is just another bland pro stadium (and a rather poorly designed one at that). It's akin to the Pirates going from Forbes to Three Rivers. Hopefully someday we'll get our version of PNC Park.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The Almono site might make sense, integrated in with the proposed developments. It would be off-campus, but could be linked to campus via light rail in Panther Hollow. I actually think the Almono site would be a prime area for Pitt expansion, though I don't believe that is a possibility anymore.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:28 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Season ticket holder at both venues here.... chiming in with my impressions.

Parking is far better now than it ever was in Oakland.
Tailgating is far better at Heinz Field than it ever was in Oakland.
Bar & restaurant selection is better on the North Shore than in Oakland.
The hotel situation is better than in Oakland.

The visitors love being in the city - with its varied hotel and restaurant options, and its walkability - more than they cared for Oakland.

I DO miss going to Oakland, but the North Shore is quite nice!
It should be about what's best for the students attending which is none of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh