Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
It should be about what's best for the students attending which is none of these things.
What? College football has pretty much always been more about the alumni than the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I personally know dozens of kids (from my area) that go to the games, and they LOVE Heinz Field. They like the free food and prizes; they do not mind the bus ride.

And apparently student attendance is better now than at the old stadium...
Kovacevic: On-campus football at Pitt? Get real | TribLIVE

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ance/14201037/ relates that many places are having trouble with student attendance, even with on-campus facilities.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM

540 posts, read 868,513 times
As a student I loved the on-campus stadium. It was nice to not have to plan going to the games beyond rolling out of bed a half hour before kickoff. I miss the old stadium, despite the plastic grass, the freezing-cold bleachers, and the trough urinals. That said, college students are a fickle bunch for the most part. They will turn out in droves for a big game or a championship contender regardless of where the stadium is. For a mediocre team (as has been the case the last 30 years) you will get a smaller group of interested fans who will attend no matter what, as well as a selection of the group that leaves after Sweet Caroline when the score is tied.

Pitt has done a lot to change the campus experience for students in the 20 years since I attended. The transportation options have grown exponentially, with a multitude of campus shuttles and free access to all of PAT. Because of this, I think having to take a shuttle bus or find another way downtown to the game is not an obstacle for today's student, who is used to using these options to shop at the Waterfront or the East Liberty Target.

So it comes down to the people who are spending real money for their tickets, the alumni and boosters. If the more convenient parking and tailgating, better facilities and dining options, and kid-friendly pregame are what they want, then that's what should be prioritized. Because in the end, these people's contributions to the athletic department are what will allow Pitt to keep their athletic facilities, and as a result recruitment, competitive with other schools.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
The last thing this city needs is another football stadium to take up space and be empty 99% of the year.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The last thing this city needs is another football stadium to take up space and be empty 99% of the year.
I was mildly surprised that Pitt never got together with the Riverhounds on a field. Having a soccer pitch on valuable South Side real estate didn't make a ton of sense to me.

But since that opportunity passed, I pretty much agree with your sentiment.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
Quote:
There are a lot of properties in Pittsburgh that are abandoned/vacant and sit empty for 100% of the year. A new stadium might not be the best use of funds but I don't agree with the vacancy argument. Any well-designed new stadium would hopefully incorporate other athletic and band facilities, along with classrooms, etc... that would put it to use for the entire year.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Winning solves the problem. Pitt would fill any facility if they were a significant team. A new facility isn't going to cure the problem or help them win.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Quote:
Seconding this. It would be monumentally dumb to build yet another stadium, especially since the Steelers' and Panthers' schedules don't conflict.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Seconding this. It would be monumentally dumb to build yet another stadium, especially since the Steelers' and Panthers' schedules don't conflict.
It will happen again someday, through probably not until Heinz Field is replaced with a new stadium.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:52 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Now the on campus stadium folks can be distracted by something else for a week. In my experience the Cardiac Hill crowd has like a 95% overlap with the script Pitt folks.

Pitt to revive script logo in game against Georgia Tech - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh