Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,543,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yeah, I measure my coffee and water on a scale when I do pour over at home. I also have a nice burr grinder and change my grind setting depending on what type of pour over I'm doing.

Ain't nothing better than a medium roast single origin African coffee in the morning ground on the spot, brewed with filtered water, using a scale, and with a good Aeropress technique. Is it way more of a task than to use a Keurig? Of course, but I find it fun and rewarding. It's cool to have hobbies.
We don't use a Keurig but a typical coffee pot. We brew almost a whole pot every morning. We drink a lot of coffee. Two of use drink about 10 cups a morning. Kids and puppies make coffee necessary.

Pre-kids I used to enjoy the social aspect of coffee. I was one of the guys hanging out at LaPrima on Saturday mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,163,958 times
I decided to work from home today, and kind of want to try a new shop for a couple of hours. How does Voluto stack up to the Intellegensia offerings at 21st St? I should expand my horizons a bit. Is it a decent place to hang out for an hour or two with some music and a laptop? The only other "high end" coffee shop I've been to has been Caffe Medici in Austin. I believe they serve Cuvee beans as well as some other rotating offerings.

Ideally, I would have a 10-15 minute bike ride each way from my place in Shadyside.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,727,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What kind of burr grinder do you have Aqua?
I use a Baratza Encore. It's great and even though it is made in Taiwan Baratza has a great customer service reputation.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,924,176 times
Complete liquor and food "snob" here as in I wont just drink/eat just anything. However, I don't care if the rest of the world subsides on Ramen and Thunderbird wine. However, I don't like it when people who love, say, Thunderbird Wine, give me ish for not wanting to partake in it, and ask me if I am too good for it.

When it comes to coffee, like said before, I love a great cup of it, but will drink it out of a shoe if need be. As long as it resembles coffee, slightly tastes like coffee it will do in a pinch.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,531,312 times
I really need to get into home roasting. Intelligentsia, Dark Matter, Wormhole, etc. (any good coffee place fairly close to me that I often frequent) usually isn't open yet when I'm leaving for work. The perils of having to be at work at 0545. Good thing I don't work 5 days a week!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,001,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goodness, I can't stand those pollution machines! They really make me sick. Talk about a ton of waste to end up in our oceans and landfills.
Much of Keurig's customer base are office dwellers using it to replace trips to the coffee shop. A K-cup made in the office pollutes less than a disposable cup at starbucks, especially if they drive to said starbucks. They also make re-usable K-cup filters, which arguably pollute less than typical coffee makers.

K-cups aren't really my thing due to the price, though.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,913,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
K-cups aren't really my thing due to the price, though.
They're absurdly expensive. A friend and I each bought $11.99 worth of Pike Place Roast one morning at Starbucks. He got 6 oz. for his Keurig. I got a 16 oz. bag of beans.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:51 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,701,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I decided to work from home today, and kind of want to try a new shop for a couple of hours. How does Voluto stack up to the Intellegensia offerings at 21st St?
Voluto is very good. It is owned/run by Commonplace Coffee in Squirrel Hill, so if you've been there before that's what you're getting into. The atmosphere is great if you can find a place to sit. It gets really busy in there.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,999,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I decided to work from home today, and kind of want to try a new shop for a couple of hours. How does Voluto stack up to the Intellegensia offerings at 21st St? I should expand my horizons a bit. Is it a decent place to hang out for an hour or two with some music and a laptop? The only other "high end" coffee shop I've been to has been Caffe Medici in Austin. I believe they serve Cuvee beans as well as some other rotating offerings.

Ideally, I would have a 10-15 minute bike ride each way from my place in Shadyside.
Coincidentally I was at Voluto about two hours ago. Frank and Drew and were on shift. Both are ex-21st Street. Two guys that really know coffee but aren't all uppity about it.

It's safe to go in there :-)

I don't know if they play music there though, come to think of it... I don't recall hearing any this morning.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,163,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Coincidentally I was at Voluto about two hours ago. Frank and Drew and were on shift. Both are ex-21st Street. Two guys that really know coffee but aren't all uppity about it.

It's safe to go in there :-)

I don't know if they play music there though, come to think of it... I don't recall hearing any this morning.
No worries, I come with my own music and headphones

I'll give it a try. I didn't get there in time before my 2:30 conference call, so I will probably head over after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh