Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 AM

664 posts, read 807,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've seen arguments that 3D printing is going to bring back ornament in a big way 10-20 years from now. Once it's widespread, after all, you can just print whatever customized shapes you want in a material (wood composite, metal, concrete, stone) and plop it in place.

Hell, the Chinese are now printing entire houses and apartment blocks. Just give it some time.
Wood composite?

Hell no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
OP, did you see this one? It's sort of plain on the inside though, compared to some of the houses within city limits.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
3D-printed ornamentation? Heavens! Then even the hoi polloi can have nice-looking homes! Quick, better come up with something else to visually represent one's class superiority!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
OP, did you see this one? It's sort of plain on the inside though, compared to some of the houses within city limits.
It does appear to have been stripped of much of its original ornamentation.

And if you can get past the ugly '80s and '90s "upgrades" in the kitchen and bathroom ...

Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
It does appear to have been stripped of much of its original ornamentation.

And if you can get past the ugly '80s and '90s "upgrades" in the kitchen and bathroom ...
As it is a historic home, there are probably records showing what was original inside, and that might be easier to find local craftspeople to recreate.

I see that it is the "Hill-McCallam-Davies House". Carol Peterson would be the person to ask about history and records.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:59 AM

281 posts, read 340,755 times
Quote:
I think I might like the Bellevue property a bit more, but despite what the pictures show, there's quite a lot of roughness that needs to be smoothed out, and a lot of restoration necessary.
See, this is what makes people think you're just yanking people's chains. I've been all through that Bellevue house, and just looked at the photos again. What restoration is necessary?!? Unless you're talking about removing the modern rear deck, or stripping some bedroom woodwork that's been painted white. That's not "a lot of restoration," and is not in the ballpark of spending $20 million to construct the stone mansion that you posted the plans for.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
See, this is what makes people think you're just yanking people's chains. I've been all through that Bellevue house, and just looked at the photos again. What restoration is necessary?!? Unless you're talking about removing the modern rear deck, or stripping some bedroom woodwork that's been painted white. That's not "a lot of restoration," and is not in the ballpark of spending $20 million to construct the stone mansion that you posted the plans for.
A lot of the floor tiles in the vestibule and entry need to be redone.

Much of the woodwork in the entry foyer needs to be rehabbed (it appears that years of careless mopping with harsh cleaning agents has stripped the wood down near the floor).

Ditto for many of the doors.

Many windows need to be replaced.

I never said it wasn't a gorgeous house. But work DOES need to be done.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:55 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
A lot of the floor tiles in the vestibule and entry need to be redone.

Much of the woodwork in the entry foyer needs to be rehabbed (it appears that years of careless mopping with harsh cleaning agents has stripped the wood down near the floor).

Ditto for many of the doors.

Many windows need to be replaced.

I never said it wasn't a gorgeous house. But work DOES need to be done.
So you need to touch up the shellac on the bottom of woodwork that's been exposed without refinishing for over 100 years. Fair enough.

What is wrong with the tile? And the windows? And how are you telling this from the pictures?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
So you need to touch up the shellac on the bottom of woodwork that's been exposed without refinishing for over 100 years. Fair enough.

What is wrong with the tile? And the windows? And how are you telling this from the pictures?
Are you the seller?

I'm really not interested in defending point by point why I'm not buying a particular property.

I started this thread to find out if anyone builds homes to historic specs. I was not intending to open myself up to being poked and prodded over my potential motives, and forced to justify why I would want to do so.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to re-create a nice piece of architecture according to my own criteria in the neighborhood of my choice.

People apparently used to do it all the time.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 PM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Are you the seller?

I'm really not interested in defending point by point why I'm not buying a particular property.

I started this thread to find out if anyone builds homes to historic specs. I was not intending to open myself up to being poked and prodded over my potential motives, and forced to justify why I would want to do so.
Quote:
I think I might like the Bellevue property a bit more, but despite what the pictures show, there's quite a lot of roughness that needs to be smoothed out, and a lot of restoration necessary.
Haha, no - I wish. You stated that it needed a lot of restoration. It seems to be in excellent shape. Just trying to figure out what you meant. I hate to think of someone coming in and ripping out all those original windows and original tile.

You seem like the perfect candidate for new construction. I hear they are making some really nice vinyl faux divided light windows these days. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh