Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:28 PM

23 posts, read 23,677 times

Advertisements

With Pittsburgh real estate being really cheap is it worthwhile getting a house under 100,000. What's the downside? What neighborhoods would you steer clear off ? I don't have kids and don't crave the nightlife.I work in medicine but currently studying computer science.Are places of work close to parts of any Pittsburgh suburb?Thank you all for your input.I frequently navigate the Pittsburgh forum because I've dreamed of making the move for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 05:35 PM

664 posts, read 807,441 times
Yuriel feel free to PM me about neighborhoods north and west of the city. I'm a native.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:50 PM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
The downside is that you probably won't get much if any profit when/if you eventually sell. Outside of a few select neighborhoods, Pittsburgh's real estate market is very very stable--meaning no big ups or big downs. What you see is what you get. We bought our house in Stanton Heights (a city neighborhood about 5 miles from Downtown and Oakland) for $97k in 2007 (which was probably actually overvalued by about $10k but that was the height of what passed for the housing bubble in Pittsburgh) and it'll be a miracle if we get over $100k when we sell. Which is fine, I didn't buy this house as an investment, just as a place to live with my family. We're outgrowing it now which is the only reason I'm looking to sell in the next couple years. For a city neighborhood, Stanton Heights (and Morningside which is adjacent) are still fantastic deals for young professionals and families just looking for a nice place to call home for a good price.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:53 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
The downside is that you probably won't get much if any profit when/if you eventually sell. Outside of a few select neighborhoods, Pittsburgh's real estate market is very very stable--meaning no big ups or big downs. What you see is what you get. We bought our house in Stanton Heights (a city neighborhood about 5 miles from Downtown and Oakland) for $97k in 2007 (which was probably actually overvalued by about $10k but that was the height of what passed for the housing bubble in Pittsburgh) and it'll be a miracle if we get over $100k when we sell. Which is fine, I didn't buy this house as an investment, just as a place to live with my family. We're outgrowing it now which is the only reason I'm looking to sell in the next couple years. For a city neighborhood, Stanton Heights (and Morningside which is adjacent) are still fantastic deals for young professionals and families just looking for a nice place to call home for a good price.
It probably is highly dependent upon your precise location in Stanton Heights, but I would be very surprised if you only got $100k when you sold. Have you seen prices in Stanton Heights lately? 4 BR homes with updates are listed for >$200k at this point. Stanton Heights and Morningside have appreciated quite a bit in the past 5 or so years.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:57 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
Theta is right about resale but You'd be surprised. Stanton heights does well if the house is updated.

Sub 100k house areas I'd suggest:
Brookline
Beechview
Brighton heights
Observatory hill
Troy hill
Stanton heights (tough under 100k)
Garfield (still a but rough but will appreciate better than others)

Old 01-31-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
It probably is highly dependent upon your precise location in Stanton Heights, but I would be very surprised if you only got $100k when you sold. Have you seen prices in Stanton Heights lately? 4 BR homes with updates are listed for >$200k at this point. Stanton Heights and Morningside have appreciated quite a bit in the past 5 or so years.
Agreed. I redid a house there and it sold close to 200k before it even was on the market.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:15 PM

We're on the north side of Stanton, but my house is 2BR, 1BA and 800 sq feet (if I'm being generous). It's updated and we've redone the hardwood and such, but there's a limited market for houses this small. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:24 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
We're on the north side of Stanton, but my house is 2BR, 1BA and 800 sq feet (if I'm being generous). It's updated and we've redone the hardwood and such, but there's a limited market for houses this small. I'm not getting my hopes up.
It could be worse, you could have this house. We pass by it all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the smallest houses in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It could be worse, you could have this house. We pass by it all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the smallest houses in Pittsburgh.
THAT'S THE HOUSE THAT IS ALWAYS ADVERTISING FREE KITTENS! Gah! I have great ire towards those people because they need to get their damn cats fixed!

I lived in a house that small (perhaps smaller) in Maryland. My place now feels like a mansion in comparison.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I can think of 1 in Bloomfield and 1 in morningside that are smaller
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh