Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:26 PM

23 posts, read 23,812 times

Advertisements

Wow thank you for all the replies guys and gals ? Nyctelevisionwriter thank you ill def be hitting you up eventually for that insight . I like that list of neighborhoods selltheburgh really helpful.I'm looking for a small place so the cheaper the better just don't want gunshots flying through my windows.So far Stanton seems like a strong choice. Is there a mall in downtown Pittsburgh? Really moving out of ny mostly because i have two dogs and they stay with my parents because apartment living in new york in not tolerant of big dogs. Real estate in Long island is extremely expensive too.I've been reading up on Pittsburgh for a while so I've read its pretty stable don't care much about depreciation/apreciation will be there for at least five/six years.Thank you all again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 08:13 PM

778 posts, read 841,806 times
You seem to need a better handle on what Pittsburgh is like, based on asking if there's a mall downtown. Downtown Pittsburgh is the business core of the city--there are skyscrapers and opera theaters, not malls. Pittsburgh is a city. It's a much smaller city than NYC, but it's still a city. Malls are for suburbs.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:17 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,069,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
You seem to need a better handle on what Pittsburgh is like, based on asking if there's a mall downtown. Downtown Pittsburgh is the business core of the city--there are skyscrapers and opera theaters, not malls. Pittsburgh is a city. It's a much smaller city than NYC, but it's still a city. Malls are for suburbs.
It's not unheard of! Some in cities are rather interesting places - like Eaton Centre, Toronto, which goes back to the 1970s. I'm not aware of one in Manhattan, but doesn't Boston have an enclosed walkway that connects buildings, and retail vendors? Arlington County, VA has its underground mall (which isn't bad), but one can strongly argue that is 'suburbs', anyway. Montreal has "Underground City" (if it's still called that) - never been there.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:01 AM

664 posts, read 808,586 times
Manhattan used to have two "malls": one at the base of the World Trade Center (which of course is now gone), and the "Manhattan Mall" near Herald Square, which is decidedly downmarket (the "anchor" store is JCPenney).

Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,818,033 times
San Francisco also has a big mall right downtown on Market Street.

Also, since Pittsburgh is a smaller city, don't discount the suburbs. In NYC, getting to a suburb takes forever and feels like a different world. Think about it, when you are in Manhattan you have to travel through Queens, maybe even Brooklyn, just to get to Nassau County. There are people living out in the Suffolk County suburbs who have to travel over 70 miles just to get to the city core. In Pittsburgh, Rush hour traffic notwithstanding, you can literally be in the suburbs within 10 minutes.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,894,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Lots of cities have the equivalent of malls in their downtown areas

Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,464,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Theta is right about resale but You'd be surprised. Stanton heights does well if the house is updated.

Sub 100k house areas I'd suggest:
Brookline
Beechview
Brighton heights
Observatory hill
Troy hill
Stanton heights (tough under 100k)
Garfield (still a but rough but will appreciate better than others)
brighton heights and stanton heights will be tough to find sub 100k places that are at all updated or in true move in condition. I was just looking in the areas for a client in the 100k price range and there has not been much worth while.

parts of marshall/shadeland are still a good deal. The neighborhood is pretty split with some nice streets and some much rougher parts.

other areas to consider would be fineview, troy hill, spring hill, mt washington
ross township ( suburb just north of the city), bellevue/avalon ( suburbs also north of the city)

Old 02-01-2015, 09:39 AM

778 posts, read 841,806 times
Yeah but if you were going to move to San Francisco or Manhattan would your first question be "Is there a mall downtown?" That sort of implies that the OP doesn't think there are any other places to buy things.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Here in NYC we have a couple of malls in what you would call the city(Herald Square,Downtown Brooklyn).I ask because Ive traveled to a couple of other states Maryland,Delaware,South Carolina,Parts of Florida and Philadelphia.It feels like sometimes you have to go out of your way to get to a central shopping point was just curious if there was that major shopping point. I wouldn't mind commuting an hour to and from work.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
brighton heights and stanton heights will be tough to find sub 100k places that are at all updated or in true move in condition. I was just looking in the areas for a client in the 100k price range and there has not been much worth while.

parts of marshall/shadeland are still a good deal. The neighborhood is pretty split with some nice streets and some much rougher parts.

other areas to consider would be fineview, troy hill, spring hill, mt washington
ross township ( suburb just north of the city), bellevue/avalon ( suburbs also north of the city)

What do u mean by rough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh