Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 AM

68 posts, read 84,150 times

Advertisements

Woodland Hills ranks in top 10 nationwide for elementary student suspensions | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not surprisingly Woodland Hills elementary schools are at the bottom in terms of academic performance.

There seems to be a strong correlation between school performance and student suspensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
That worked out so well for Churchill and Edgewood. Two BEAUTIFUL places destroyed because some moronic judge sentenced those two nice places to the death penalty. What a shame. They should try and get their schools back!

Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 PM

68 posts, read 84,150 times
There is a recent update to this story.

Woodland Hills superintendent: 'We're trying to change the culture. ... we

A week ago, The Center for Civil Rights Remedies at UCLA issued a report saying that the Woodland Hills rate of 23.8 percent of elementary students suspended out of school one or more times during 2011-12. The national average is 2.6 percent, and the state average is 2.0 percent.

The report — “Are We Closing the School Discipline Gap?” — also showed racial disparities in Woodland Hills, with 30.2 percent of elementary black students and 8.51 percent of elementary white students suspended one or more times. A student who is suspended more than once counted only once in the report.

Woodland Hills has been trying to reduce its suspension numbers and the national report prompted Mr. Johnson to ask staff to compute the most recent rate to see how much progress has been made.

The district’s 2013-14 rate shows that 16.48 percent of elementary students were suspended one or more times, a drop of more than 7 percentage points from 2011-12. Racial disparities remained, although rates had dropped to 22.93 percent of black students and 7.23 percent of white students.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Wonder what would have happened in the early 80s after the merger if the upper middle class white parents of Edgewood, Churchill and Forest Hills had not panicked and pulled all their kids out of the new school district?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Wonder what would have happened in the early 80s after the merger if the upper middle class white parents of Edgewood, Churchill and Forest Hills had not panicked and pulled all their kids out of the new school district?
First, do you know this for a fact that they, "pulled all their kids out of the new school district," or is this a rumor you heard? If so, where did they send them? The Catholic school option was limited and how many could have gone to Shadyside Academy, Sewickley Academy, Winchester Thurston, The Ellis School, St. Edmunds Academy, or Kiski Prep.

Second, suppose 200-300 upper middle class white kids are not pulled out of Woodland Hills School District in the early 80s. How does that improve that improve the behavior of the remaining white and black students?

What I have observed first hand is an overall decline in discipline in schools since I graduated in 1973. What is tolerated in schools today would not have been tolerated in 1973. Education in the majority of schools is greatly compromised by this lack of discipline.

So what is Woodland Hills administration to do? You need to remove disruptive students from the classroom to allow other students to learn. If you don't suspend them, you give them in-school, after school or Saturday detention. The only other option is an alternative school, which Woodland Hill is already doing. What many people don't realize is some kids are no interest in learning and you aren't going to force them to learn or not be disruptive.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:48 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
First, do you know this for a fact that they, "pulled all their kids out of the new school district," or is this a rumor you heard? If so, where did they send them? The Catholic school option was limited and how many could have gone to Shadyside Academy, Sewickley Academy, Winchester Thurston, The Ellis School, St. Edmunds Academy, or Kiski Prep.
The people that I know either moved or sent their kids to private schools. They knew what would happen and they ALL were correct! It is such a shame they destroyed Edgewood and Churchill's districts and to be honest neighborhoods. Can you imagine the housing prices in Edgewood right now if they still had their nice school? It would be really pricey and wonderful. Truly a shame to do such a thing to that area. If I were in Edgewood, I would try and start a movement to get their school back!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What I have observed first hand is an overall decline in discipline in schools since I graduated in 1973. What is tolerated in schools today would not have been tolerated in 1973. Education in the majority of schools is greatly compromised by this lack of discipline.

S

I agree with this comment. it's just an overall change of the predominant culture of the US. It goes way beyond discipline problems in school. It's in the NFL, the Congress, everywhere. If i were to suggest "decency" and behavior, I might be called: fascist (thank you, actually!), racist, old-fashioned, anti-woman, whatever. None of those are true, except maybe "fascist", but that's my own definition, not the classic one.

I'm not suggesting what people should do in their personal lives, but in public, just behave and don't hurt anyone else.

School districts and municipalities really should start taking draconian approaches - taking truancy seriously, and even promoting policies that might encourage the economically-dependent refrain from having more children.

Or, go the other way - make public school optional, and to hell with them. Public benefits would be tied to enrolling and attending, and succeeding w/ a B- average.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 AM
gg

Everyone running around looking at schools and how people can improve them or whatever, but the real problem is parents! If parents are on drugs, dealing, don't care about anything or whatever, the child will not care about school. It is more parenting than anything. Once you get past 10% of kids that don't want to learn, the district will most likely end up like Woodland Hills. A place not to send your kids. It isn't the teacher's fault, it is just too big of a drag to deal with.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
I think we need to be careful not to equate the initial white flight from Woodland Hills after the court-ordered merger with the District's more recent issues. I know several people who graduated from Woodland Hills in the 90s. Although it was getting rough then, it was still a racially mixed district, and they went on to do great things. One is a writer for Politico today. The bottom line is the district was *not* doomed by the merger alone, although it indeed may be at the point of no return today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The people that I know either moved or sent their kids to private schools. They knew what would happen and they ALL were correct! It is such a shame they destroyed Edgewood and Churchill's districts and to be honest neighborhoods. Can you imagine the housing prices in Edgewood right now if they still had their nice school? It would be really pricey and wonderful. Truly a shame to do such a thing to that area. If I were in Edgewood, I would try and start a movement to get their school back!
Edgewood couldn't get back their own school district. They probably could merge with Pittsburgh Public Schools though. I've done out the math and it would lower taxes for the average household there considerably. It would also result in their being in the Alderdice feeder (a big step up), and allow access to Pittsburgh magnets and the Pittsburgh Promise money. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 AM

598 posts, read 748,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
... One is a writer for Politico today...
I wonder if what was done to the school district motivated him to choose this career path and specifically join this particular news organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh