Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Pittsburgh isn't liberal. Voting Democrat and being a liberal are two different things, and I suspect that the criteria confuses that.
No, they aren't. If you click through to the original study, they are looking at personal attitudes, not voting history.

Not that I'm saying you're doing it, but it's a personal bugbear of mine that a lot of people seem to equate liberalism with only being some white upper-middle class stereotype. While the influence of the black electorate in Pittsburgh is pretty small in comparative terms, I've noticed many people claiming that cities with high black populations "aren't really liberal." Which completely discounts that black Americans are way to the left of center not just on economic issues, but most social issues other than same-sex marriage. They're generally pro-choice, for gun control, and opposed to the death penalty, for example. IIRC they have been consistently more opposed to U.S. military actions as well. Just because they don't drive Subarus or listen to NPR doesn't mean they aren't very much left wing on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Those who are surprised with the results are more than likely judging the city by the entire metropolitan area. The city proper is liberal, and the Allegheny County suburbs are a mixed bag. The outer metropolitan counties are all conservative.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
My first inclination was to say Pittsburgh is more Democratic than liberal, then I remembered that it has more churches with pride flags than anywhere I've ever been. That's gotta say something.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:13 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The city proper is liberal, and the Allegheny County suburbs are a mixed bag. The outer metropolitan counties are all conservative.
And that's why my test is valid...I've seen terrible things happen to political yard signs out here in the wilds of North Fayette.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
And that's why my test is valid...I've seen terrible things happen to political yard signs out here in the wilds of North Fayette.

If they were signs for candidates for North Fayette commissioner, or West Allegheny school director, that would not be out of character for the area. But I don't see putting up signs for Sanders---or Cruz, Trump or Mrs. Clinton- as being that much of a target.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If we're the 19th-Most Liberal City in the United States, then the rest of the country must be pretty right-wing politically. Look at the Facebook comment threads for KDKA, WPXI, WTAE, the Post-Gazette, and the Tribune-Review, for starters. "DERP! BIKE LANES ARE STUPID! DERP! IT'S ADAM AND EVE; NOT ADAM AND STEVE! DERP! ALL BLACK MALES ARE CRIMINALS! DERP!" I feel like banging my head against a brick wall when debating against these supposedly "liberal" Pittsburghers. Supposedly ~40% of city residents possess at least a Bachelor's Degree, yet I find myself correcting misspellings on those comment threads incessantly.
The dumbest person I know has a Masters Degree from the University of Kansas. And if you saw her facebook page, you'd wonder if English was her native language (it is). People need to realize that possessing a degree does not make one smart. You only need money and the fortitude to push through. Intelligence not required.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The dumbest person I know has a Masters Degree from the University of Kansas. And if you saw her facebook page, you'd wonder if English was her native language (it is). People need to realize that possessing a degree does not make one smart. You only need money and the fortitude to push through. Intelligence not required.
Bit of a broad brush you are painting with there. I know a few engineers, a nurse anesthetist and a Pharm D who required a good bit of intelligence to get their degrees. I do agree that a degree doesn't automatically make you intelligent, though. Not all degrees are created equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh