Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 AM

144 posts, read 141,340 times

Advertisements

Ugh. Just bought a house in Observatory Hill about a 5 minute walk from Mandy's. I had pizza there once and it was pretty good. Disappointed that the tiny business district is shrinking even further.

Mandy's just announced today after the city didn't really do anything to help with the crime, they are closing the Observatory Hill location.

Here's the final 9-page letter sent to Peduto:
http://www.mandyspizza.com/wp-conten...-Northside.pdf

Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,088,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
Ugh. Just bought a house in Observatory Hill about a 5 minute walk from Mandy's. I had pizza there once and it was pretty good. Disappointed that the tiny business district is shrinking even further.

Mandy's just announced today after the city didn't really do anything to help with the crime, they are closing the Observatory Hill location.

Here's the final 9-page letter sent to Peduto:
http://www.mandyspizza.com/wp-conten...-Northside.pdf
I know this is a silly aside, but I thought that the Mandy's in Observatory Hill didn't have the vegan/gluten free items on its menu that Squirrel Hill and West View did.

Regardless, I'm sad for the neighborhood, and for you. This isn't the first indication I've seen about the neighborhood going further downhill though. The "Great Inversion" of Pittsburgh continues.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,051,958 times
Guess they have to hire off duty police at a premium like The Original had to, or they don't get protection. Clearly a conflict of interest in our city to allow to hire off duty city police. Just think about that idea. You can hire off duty city police, therefore wouldn't it be in the best financial interest of the police NOT to give great service unless a business is paying extra? Peduto hasn't addressed this issue to my knowledge. You shouldn't be allowed or have to hire off duty police really. Pay the city police the amount they deserve and make it illegal to hire off duty police.

Also, if it is a problem ALL the time, the police department NEEDS to have an officer responsible for that few blocks of trouble. Have an officer responsible for it and that is their baby! If there is a crime on that little stretch the officer in charge of it needs to be questioned as to WHY was there a crime in HIS little area? If all else fails, maybe stop, ask and frisk isn't as bad as the moronic media makes it out to be. Why should people live with high crime. Heck the owner KNOWS who did this and the police seem to not even care in the least!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:54 AM

831 posts, read 881,700 times
If what I read in the letter is true, how sad. It sounds like Peduto used this guy when it was good for Peduto, but hung him out to dry otherwise.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,287,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know this is a silly aside, but I thought that the Mandy's in Observatory Hill didn't have the vegan/gluten free items on its menu that Squirrel Hill and West View did.

Regardless, I'm sad for the neighborhood, and for you. This isn't the first indication I've seen about the neighborhood going further downhill though. The "Great Inversion" of Pittsburgh continues.
What do you mean by the great inversion?

Old 11-02-2015, 10:01 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,926,670 times
While it is sad that they are closing, the desired outcomes listed at the end of the letter seem to be a stretch. I would find it shocking that people who do not wish to testify would offer very good testimony if forced to do so and that a civil suit against the parents of the suspected criminal would result in a payout that would payoff the mortgage.

As a related aside, I wonder how the residents of Carrick are feeling about the focused effort to reduce the crime in that area. The last I read about it, the plan and the first steps seemed pretty solid but I am not sure about the follow through.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:02 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,926,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
In The Great Inversion, Alan Ehrenhalt, one of our leading urbanologists, reveals how the roles of America’s cities and suburbs are changing places—young adults and affluent retirees moving in, while immigrants and the less affluent are moving out—and addresses the implications of these shifts for the future of our society

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Inversio.../dp/0307474372

2,109 posts, read 2,165,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
I'm guessing he means a greater concentration of wealth, development, and public investment in the East End and downtown areas, with flight from the outlying neighborhoods that don't have river frontage.

144 posts, read 141,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
While it is sad that they are closing, the desired outcomes listed at the end of the letter seem to be a stretch. I would find it shocking that people who do not wish to testify would offer very good testimony if forced to do so and that a civil suit against the parents of the suspected criminal would result in a payout that would payoff the mortgage.
the part about him paying off his mortgage makes me think twice about the owner. The entire letter is pretty crazy. I understand he's upset after being robbed twice this summer, but it sounds like police patrols were increased and there were no further robberies.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,564,344 times
Observatory Hill is a city neighborhood, not a suburb.

I recall the urbanists here touting OH as a safe place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh