Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 09:14 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The guy did punch one of the cops but didn't brandish the knife until they caught up with him. There is no mention of him rushing the cops with the knife. All over drinking in public.
There's mention of it in the article I pasted 4th point down.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-drinking.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am open to it not being the officer's fault for sure. It does seem two people were drinking and it escalated to a point of no return. I think there are better ways to be aggressive towards a couple of drunks, but I wasn't there. If I saw a video of it all, it would be more clear what to believe.
Video came out today of part of the incident (I'm curious as to who filmed it). In my humble opinion, it doesn't look good for the police:

DA releases video, new info in investigation into shooting... | www.wpxi.com

Old 02-04-2016, 07:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
One thing that I hope seeps into public awareness as a result of this incidence...

Police are using dogs to subdue human beings. It sounds like Nazi Germany. Who's NOT going to try to fight off an animal that is attacking them? It's just a bad idea AND, arguably, needless exploitation (and maybe abuse) of this animal.

And another thing... do police always shoot to kill now? Under conditions like this, the decision seems like "overkill"

Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 PM

Police dogs have been used for what, hundreds of years? The dog should have had on a vest.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Police dogs have been used for what, hundreds of years? The dog should have had on a vest.
Yeah.

Where did you read in my comment I was against the use of police dogs? I am clearly not in favor of using them for this particular purpose.

Next time take a minute and consider what is actually being said, rather than being so anxious to argue a straw man.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
One thing that I hope seeps into public awareness as a result of this incidence...

Police are using dogs to subdue human beings. It sounds like Nazi Germany. Who's NOT going to try to fight off an animal that is attacking them? It's just a bad idea AND, arguably, needless exploitation (and maybe abuse) of this animal.

And another thing... do police always shoot to kill now? Under conditions like this, the decision seems like "overkill"
The majority of this post shows you being against it.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
I believe the dog was stabbed in a way that a vest would have done nothing. I love dogs more than most people, but I think that no matter what if a police dog is set on you you are going to fight back. Also, a criminal doesn’t care about much, probably even less for a dog, so it’s basically a death sentence.

Other than search and rescue, I am not sure what the need is for police dogs. The claim that they are valued members of the force and treated just like their human counterparts, but obviously they are not since a human wasn’t sent in there to do what the dog was sent in to do.

Heck, from the looks of that video I would say an old fashioned net would have been very effective in this situation. The guy was drunk and they were within feet of him. Toss a large net on him and watch him struggle.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
The vests they put on dogs are designed to be protection against projectiles. Knives will pass through the vests human officers wear as well. The use of dogs ought to be limited to search and rescue, bomb/drug sniffing. Turning one loose on a violent and clearly armed human is never going to end well. Two times recently now this has happened and the public goes nuts over the dog's passing, maybe it's time to re-evaluate the use of these animals.

"he claim that they are valued members of the force and treated just like their human counterparts, but obviously they are not since a human wasn’t sent in there to do what the dog was sent in to do. " This is a great point, they clearly aren't the equal to human officers in any sense, they are used like any other piece of tactical gear a cop has at his disposal and it's wrong.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM

121 posts, read 110,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Heck, from the looks of that video I would say an old fashioned net would have been very effective in this situation. The guy was drunk and they were within feet of him. Toss a large net on him and watch him struggle.
This. With 9+ cops in pursuit of this intoxicated man, why was it so crucial to release a dog upon him?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Video came out today of part of the incident (I'm curious as to who filmed it). In my humble opinion, it doesn't look good for the police:

DA releases video, new info in investigation into shooting... | www.wpxi.com
Well, that video doesn't so nearly enough to make some judgement. The man did pull a knife on the cops though. Anyway, if police were justified in punching the crap out of this little unarmed kid, I suspect they will be given a medal for shooting that crazy drunk homeless man.

Cop punching kid.

Charges Dropped Against Heinz Field Officer Accused Of Assaulting Fan « CBS Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh