Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I'm surprised they made it as far they have the last 3 years with the way they operate. I thought what's happening this year wouldve started last year...but there were some bad teams they beat up on. You can only sign so many of these reclamation and borderline MLB players before it doesn't work.

Now other teams are getting better and they're playing the same game and it's caught up to them. It's boggling how they operate and still sell so many tix.
Here is a few more Pirate "jokes" I'm sick of:

They throw around "financial flexibility" as an everyday word. What do they do with that? 75% of it is eaten up paying the increases of the players they already have. Then they go sign a Ryan Vogelsong and David Friese and boom, its gone. They make it seem like they will take that $17 million and sign a $17 million dollar player, or two $8 million dollar players. So basically that money they saved goes back into raises and a couple crappy backups.

Then here is Josh Bell. Everyone in their freaking mind can see he's a better option than Jaso at first. At the very least get him up here to start getting acclimated for next year. Why aren't they? I am almost positive he will be brought up sometime in May or maybe even June of NEXT YEAR so they get another year of financial control..... another one of their favorite buzz terms. I could be wrong I guess, but why else wouldn't he be here if they can wait till September? If he is going to start next year on the roster then you bring him up NOW.

An finally.... their farm system. I keep hearing about all these prospects.... other than Josh Bell and Meadows, where are they? I kind of follow the minors and I'm not all that impressed. and they just got rid of a top catcher who was way young for the level.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Today was a debacle but no surprise. Big time $$$ dump with "prospects, prospects, prospects" traded and 2 players TBA. I heard analytics says that 2020 is their year so you can't expect them to hang onto or spend on salaries until then.

On the bright side, tix prices probably won't go up next season.
And a good $$$ dump it was. Prospects are just prospects and even the higher rated prospects have less than an even chance of playing MLB.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:10 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
And a good $$$ dump it was. Prospects are just prospects and even the higher rated prospects have less than an even chance of playing MLB.
Those trades were a joke, but if you're satisfied with mediocrity, no WC game or win, playoff series win, or WS, you're the fan the Bucs are looking for and why they operate like they do.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Don't worry everyone, that money is being invested into the farm system!

Is that excuse still being used?
I am not sure why people are complaining, but I don't know this game as well as I used to. Still, a small market team like Pittsburgh with their tiny budget in comparison to the big city teams, don't they have to sort of have a revolving door and bring guys up through the system and when the certain ones are good enough they are just going to leave anyway for more money, so why not get something now? This season was looking bad anyway, so they threw in the towel this year and hope to rebuild and do it again. What else can a small market team do? There is no parity in baseball like other sports. There are the few big market teams and all the rest. Sometimes one of the small market teams wins the WS because they outnumber the big guns. We have a nice stadium with a wonderful view. Go down there and eat some peanuts and enjoy. It isn't that big of a deal. We have two other great sports teams in our city that win quite a bit. Heck we are holding the Stanley Cup right now. Enjoy.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am not sure why people are complaining, but I don't know this game as well as I used to. Still, a small market team like Pittsburgh with their tiny budget in comparison to the big city teams, don't they have to sort of have a revolving door and bring guys up through the system and when the certain ones are good enough they are just going to leave anyway for more money, so why not get something now? This season was looking bad anyway, so they threw in the towel this year and hope to rebuild and do it again. What else can a small market team do? There is no parity in baseball like other sports. There are the few big market teams and all the rest. Sometimes one of the small market teams wins the WS because they outnumber the big guns. We have a nice stadium with a wonderful view. Go down there and eat some peanuts and enjoy. It isn't that big of a deal. We have two other great sports teams in our city that win quite a bit. Heck we are holding the Stanley Cup right now. Enjoy.
Pirates aren't a small market team. They're a mid market team that operates like a small market. Their total revenue was $244m last year.

Mid market teams can and do win championships. This organization, however, will never do that.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Damn, I hate that I love the game. The trades really honked me off. If they had got a major league arm in the off season to replace AJ and Happ, we would probably have held on to Melancin. But since the chances of us needing to hold a lead in the ninth he is no longer necessary. I've got tickets to 4 games left, any offers?

Old 08-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Damn, I hate that I love the game. The trades really honked me off. If they had got a major league arm in the off season to replace AJ and Happ, we would probably have held on to Melancin. But since the chances of us needing to hold a lead in the ninth he is no longer necessary. I've got tickets to 4 games left, any offers?
Exactly.

They're operating procedures are a disgrace. I also love the game but unless I get tix for free I never even consider going or patronizing Bob's bank account.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Pirates aren't a small market team. They're a mid market team that operates like a small market. Their total revenue was $244m last year.

Mid market teams can and do win championships. This organization, however, will never do that.
Mid market or lower market teams win sometimes, but no that often. Look at these numbers. No wonder baseball is so uneven and no wonder so many people hate the Yankees.

• MLB revenue by team/franchise 2015 | Statistic

Old 08-03-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Mid market or lower market teams win sometimes, but no that often. Look at these numbers. No wonder baseball is so uneven and no wonder so many people hate the Yankees.

• MLB revenue by team/franchise 2015 | Statistic
Wrong. The Royals won last year. Cards won in 2011 and 2006 with 11th ranked payroll, White Sox in 2005 with 13th ranked payroll, and the list goes on.

So many people hate the Yankees? Lol. They're one of the most popular teams in pro sports and the most popular team in MLB, and haven't won a WS in 7 years.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-03-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
And please.... I beg you once again...... no more Jeff Locke!

Neal definitely crapped the bed with this staff and quite frankly overvalued his lineup. The starting lineup has almost no power. Cervelli no homers, Marte 7, Harrison, Jaso.....

Do you know how bad their record would be if they hadn't have lucked into Joyce and Friese? I'd rather have rolled the dice with one more year of Pedro and Neal walker. Its not like they got anything for them anyways! Harrison and Jaso have been terrible.

But who could have predicted McCutcheon being this bad. That's a killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh